Under the Protection of Ka'Bah
Under the Protection of Ka'Bah
Directed by Hanny Saputra Produced by Dhamoo Punjabi
Written by Titien Wattimena Starring Laudya Cynthia Bella
Release date(s) 16 August 2011 Running time 110 minutes Country Indonesia Language Indonesian Budget Rp 25 billion
Under the Protection of Ka'Bah (Indonesian: Di Bawah Lindungan Ka'bah) is a 2011 Indonesian drama film directed by Hanny Saputra. The film has been selected as the Indonesian entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 84th Academy Awards.
Hamid (Herjunot Ali) and Zainab (Laudya Cynthia Bella) are teenagers from different social classes; Hamid comes from the lower classes, while Zainab is the daughter of local nobility. Hamid's mother works for Zainab's family, and Hamid has his schooling paid for by Zainab's family. Eventually they fall in love; however, Hamid's mother warns him that they will never be successful.
After Hamid is accused of touching Zainab inappropriately, Hamid is run out of Padang, eventually reaching Mecca and praying at the Kaaba. Zainab is betrothed to the son of another nobleman. However, they continue to love each other. After their deaths, they are reunited in heaven.
Under the Protection of Ka'Bah is the second film adaptation of Hamka's novel Di Bawah Lindungan Ka'bah, following an adaptation in 1977 by Asrul Sani. Unlike the original novel, which included numerous flashbacks, the plot is chronological.
The film cost Rp 25 billion (approximately US$ 2.9 million) to make. According to producer Manoj Punjabi, the company spent enough on costumes alone to entirely finance a horror movie. Another cost was the construction of a small mosque, which was made in the style of the 1920s and eventually donated to the locals after filming.
Production took place over a period of three years, beginning in April 2008. After the previous director departed two years into production, Hanny Saputra was approached to finish the film. At the time, approximately 20% had been finished.
According to Saputra, Under the Protection of Ka'Bah is a romance with bits touching on the themes of culture and religion. Makbul Mubarak, in a review for The Jakarta Post, noted that the film abandoned some of the novel's themes, including feminism.
Release and reception
Under the Protection of Ka'Bah received a wide release on 18 August 2011. Critical reception was negative to mixed.
Mubarak criticized Saputra's lack of historical accuracy, blatant product placements, and straying from the source material, surmising that Saputra had "use[d] only the novel's opening and closing". Some characters, introduced via adaptation, were criticized as being "bland". In summary, he wrote that although the film was not necessarily bad, the city of Padang was "the only solid character". Ekky Imanjaya, writing for Detik.com, wrote that the product placement was overdone and that the lead Hamid seemed weak, instead of the intended patient; he summarized by saying that Under the Protection of Ka'Bah, like Punjabi's earlier production Ayat-Ayat Cinta, was overly commercialized.
Puput Puji Lestari, writing for KapanLagi.com, also noted the lack of attention to historical detail and use of product placement and considered it distracting. However, she summarized that it did not detract from the mood of the film or the quality of the acting by Pepet and Rachman.
- List of submissions to the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Indonesian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- ^ a b c d e Lestari 2011, 'Di Bawah Lindungan.
- ^ a b c Mubarak 2011, From masterpiece to teen.
- ^ a b KapanLagi.com 2011, Manoj Punjabi 'Rela'.
- ^ a b Jodhi 2011, Di Bawah Lindungan.
- ^ a b KapanLagi.com 2011, Hanny R. Saputra.
- ^ Imanjaya 2011, 'Di Bawah Lindungan.
- ^ Academy Awards 2011, 63 Countries Vie.
- "Hanny R Saputra: Saya Sutradara Terakhir DBLK [Hanny R. Saputra: I'm DBLK's Last Director]". KapanLagi.com. 23 August 2011. http://www.kapanlagi.com/showbiz/film/indonesia/hanny-r-saputra-saya-sutradara-terakhir-dblk.html. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Imanjaya, Ekky (6 September 2011). "'Di Bawah Lindungan Kabah': Sekadar Cinta Menye-menye? ['Under the Protection of Ka'Bah': Only Pretend Love?]". Detik.com. http://hot.detik.com/movie/read/2011/09/06/142600/1716603/218/di-bawah-lindungan-kabah-sekadar-cinta-menye-menye. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Lestari, Puput Puji (18 August 2011). "'Di Bawah Lindungan Kabah', Cinta Terhalang Kasta ['Under the Protection of Ka'Bah', Love Forbidden by Caste]". KapanLagi.com. http://www.kapanlagi.com/film/indonesia/di-bawah-lindungan-kabah-cinta-terhalang-kasta.html. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Manoj Punjabi 'Rela' Di Bawah Lindungan Ka'Bah Merugi [Manoj Punjabi Willing to Accept Under the Protection of Ka'Bah's Losses]". KapanLagi.com. 22 March 2011. http://www.kapanlagi.com/showbiz/selebriti/manoj-punjabi-rela-di-bawah-lindungan-kabah-merugi.html. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Mubarak, Makbul (28 August 2011). "From masterpiece to teen flick". The Jakarta Post. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/08/28/from-masterpiece-teen-flick.html. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2011/20111013.html. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Yudono, Jodhi (19 August 2011). "Di Bawah Lindungan Ka'bah Muncul Lagi [Under the Protection of Ka'Bah Returns]" (in Indonesian). Kompas. Archived from the original on 17 October 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/62VJPjLnJ. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Matrix (franchise) — The Matrix Series The Ultimate Matrix Collection poster Directed by Andy Wachowski Larry Wachowski … Wikipedia
Statements about the persecution of Bahá'ís — The persecution of Bahá ís refers to the religious persecution of Bahá ís in various countries, especially in Iran, the location of one of the largest Bahá í populations in the world. The Bahá í Faith originated in Iran, and represents the… … Wikipedia
HISTORICAL SURVEY: THE STATE AND ITS ANTECEDENTS (1880–2006) — Introduction It took the new Jewish nation about 70 years to emerge as the State of Israel. The immediate stimulus that initiated the modern return to Zion was the disappointment, in the last quarter of the 19th century, of the expectation that… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Gambia, The — <p></p> <p></p> Introduction ::Gambia, The <p></p> Background: <p></p> The Gambia gained its independence from the UK in 1965. Geographically surrounded by Senegal, it formed a short lived… … The World Factbook
Justice in the Qur'an — Islamic Justice, truth telling, various virtues and sins the prohibition of perjury in the Qur an are repeated many times:Justice*And eat up not one another’s property unjustly (in any illegal way e.g. stealing, robbing, deceiving, etc.), nor… … Wikipedia
Liste der Träger des Order of the Republic of The Gambia (Member) — Bandschnalle „Order of the Republic of The Gambia“ In der Liste der Träger des Order of the Republic of The Gambia, Member sind Personen oder Organisationen gelistet, die den Orden Order of the Republic of The Gambia der Stufe Member (MRG)… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Didi Petet — Born July 12, 1956 Surabaya, Indonesia Years active 1987 present Signature Didi Petet (born July 12, 1956) is an Indones … Wikipedia
JERUSALEM — The entry is arranged according to the following outline: history name protohistory the bronze age david and first temple period second temple period the roman period byzantine jerusalem arab period crusader period mamluk period … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Islāmic world — Introduction prehistory and history of the Islamic community. Adherence to Islām is a global phenomenon: Muslims predominate in some 30 to 40 countries, from the Atlantic to the Pacific and along a belt that stretches across northern… … Universalium
ECONOMIC HISTORY — This article is arranged according to the following outline: first temple period exile and restoration second temple period talmudic era muslim middle ages medieval christendom economic doctrines early modern period sephardim and ashkenazim… … Encyclopedia of Judaism