Delphic supporting Bloc Party as part of the iTunes festival in July 2009.
Background information Origin Marple Bridge, Stockport, Greater Manchester, England Genres Alternative dance, dream pop, shoegazing Years active 2009–present Labels Polydor
Website Official website Members Richard Boardman
Delphic are an alternative dance band from Marple Bridge, Stockport, Greater Manchester, England. They are signed to Polydor and released the single "Counterpoint" in April 2009 through R&S Records, produced by Ewan Pearson. They are officially a four piece band, augmented by drummer Dan Hadley.
The single "This Momentary" was released on 31 August 2009 through Kitsuné. The music video for "This Momentary" has been nominated for three UK Music Video Awards, including Best Cinematography, Best Editing and Best Telecine. In November 2009 they made their first TV appearance appearing on Later... with Jools Holland playing "Doubt" and "Halcyon".
Announced on Delphic's website on 2 November 2009, their debut album was called Acolyte and released on Polydor on 11 January 2010. Reviewing for BBC Music, writer Lou Thomas commented that it "might just be the first great album of 2010". Acolyte was also described as "on kissing terms with magnificence" by Simon Price of the Independent.
Songs from the Album, including "Counterpoint" from their first EP, and "Doubt" from their debut album have achieved mainstream success on YouTube, contributing to Acolyte's strong first week sales in the UK.
The song "Halcyon" has been featured nationwide on the new advert for the Samsung Monte mobile phone.
The first song from the album, "Clarion Call", features in the F1 2010 video game by Codemasters, and is used by Sky Sports as theme music for International Cricket highlights programmes.
After a sell out UK tour in early January with pop noir band Mirrors, the band set tour dates for a second run of the UK in March.
The band have also been nominated for the "Best UK & Ireland New Act" in the 2010 MTV EMAs in Madrid.
Year Album details Peak chart positions UK IRL
2010 Acolyte 8 64 151 90
Year Single Chart Positions Album UK UK
2009 "Counterpoint" — — Acolyte 2010 "Doubt" 79 — "Halcyon" 143 16 "Counterpoint" (re-release) — —
Year Single Album 2009 "This Momentary" [A] Acolyte "Sanctuary" [B]
- A - The single was released alongside the album Acolyte as iTunes Single of the Week.
- B - The single was released as a 'Buzz' single during November 2009, although it did not appear on Acolyte. Delphic were previously a touring band called "snowfight in the city centre," supporting Ghosts (Atlantic) in 2007.
- ^ Sue, David (20 April 2008). "Delphic infuse new life into city's indie-dance scene". citylife.co.uk. http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/features/1137_delphic_infuse_new_life_into_city_s_indie_dance_scene. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- ^ "One To Watch: Delphic". metro.co.uk. 23 April 2009. http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/music/article.html?One_To_Watch:_Delphic&in_article_id=630470&in_page_id=25. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- ^ Lester, Paul (1 October 2008). "New band of the day No 401: Delphic". London: guardian.co.uk. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/oct/01/popandrock.electronicmusic. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- ^ "BBC Sound of 2010: Delphic". bbc.co.uk. 6 January 2010. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8441316.stm. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- ^ "Delphic help kick off Leeds Festival 2009". NME.com. 28 August 2009. http://www.nme.com/news/delphic--2/46974. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- ^ "BBC Sound of 2010: Delphic". bbc.co.uk. 7 December 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8388565.stm. Retrieved 14 December 2009. .
- ^ "Login / Sign Up Delphic to Release Debut Album "Acolyte"Delphic to Release Debut Album "Acolyte"". Modular Records. 16 November 2009. http://www.modularpeople.com/news/delphic-to-release-debut-album-acolyte/831.html. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- ^ "Delphic Sign To Dangerbird". dangerbirdrecords.com. 31 March 2010. http://www.dangerbirdrecords.com/news/entry/delphic-sign. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
- ^ "Acolyte". delphic.cc. 2 November 2009. http://www.delphic.cc. Retrieved 2 November 2009.
- ^ http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/m9x2
- ^ Price, Simon (3 January 2010). "Album: Delphic, Acolyte (Polydor)". The Independent (London). http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-delphic-acolyte-polydor-1856721.html. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- ^ http://www.irish-charts.com/showinterpret.asp?interpret=Delphic
- ^ a b http://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Delphic&titel=Acolyte&cat=a
Singles Related Articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Delphic — est un groupe de dance alternative de Manchester, Grande Bretagne. Ils sont signés sur le label Polydor et leur single Counterpoint , produit par Ewan Pearson, est sorti en avril 2009 sur R S Records,. En 2009, le gro … Wikipédia en Français
Delphic — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Delphic Información personal Origen Manchester … Wikipedia Español
Delphic — Основная информация Жанры инди электроника … Википедия
Delphic — unterstützen Bloc Party als … Deutsch Wikipedia
Delphic — Del phic, a. [L. Delphicus, fr. Gr. Delfiko s, fr. Delfoi , L. Delphi, a town of Phocis, in Greece, now Kastri.] (Gr. Antiq.) 1. Of or relating to Delphi, or to the famous oracle of that place. [1913 Webster] 2. Ambiguous; mysterious. If he is… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Delphic — ► ADJECTIVE 1) relating to the ancient Greek oracle at Delphi. 2) deliberately obscure or ambiguous: Delphic utterances … English terms dictionary
Delphic — 1590s, from L. Delphicus, from Gk. Delphikos, from Delphi (see DELPHI (Cf. Delphi)) … Etymology dictionary
Delphic — [del′fē əndel′fik] adj. 1. of Delphi 2. designating or of the oracle of Apollo at Delphi in ancient times 3. obscure in meaning; ambiguous; oracular: Also Delphian [del′fē ən] … English World dictionary
Delphic — adjective Date: 1567 1. of or relating to ancient Delphi or its oracle 2. often not capitalized ambiguous, obscure < Delphic utterances > • delphically adverb … New Collegiate Dictionary
Delphic — delphically, adv. /del fik/, adj. 1. of or pertaining to Delphi. 2. of or pertaining to Apollo, or to his temples or oracles. 3. (often l.c.) oracular; obscure; ambiguous: She was known for her Delphic pronouncements. [1590 1600; < L Delphicus <… … Universalium