Dearne District Light Railway
The Dearne District Light Railway was a tramway linking Barnsley with the towns of Wombwell, Wath, Bolton on Dearne and Thurnscoe. Opened on 12 July 1924, it was the last street tramway to be built in the UK and one of the first to shut.
A "car barn" was built at Wombwell, which later became Yorkshire Traction's bus depot, and single deck vehicles were used throughout its nine year life span. Because of mining in the area the track was laid on wooden sleepers and covered over and was all single track with passing loops, which was the reason for its downfall. When motorbuses started to compete on the same route as the DDLR it was found that because the trams had to wait to pass each other, the bus could complete the journey much quicker and so the electric vehicles had to go.
Very few traces of the former DDLR remain now, as the last tram journey reached the end of the line on the 30th September 1933, soon to be replaced by the local bus service. The body of a former DDLR car is still in use as a summer house in a garden on the outskirts of Sheffield.
There is a very interesting book written by C.T Goode, published by Burstwick Print & Publicity Services in 1997 (ISBN 1-870313-18-6 ) containing loads of information about this and some great vintage local photographs.
This tram-, streetcar-, or light rail-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.