Dylan Dog: Dead of Night
Dylan Dog: Dead of Night
Theatrical release poster
Directed by Kevin Munroe Produced by Gilbert Adler
Scott Mitchell Rosenberg
Screenplay by Thomas Dean Donnelly
Based on Dylan Dog by
Starring Brandon Routh
Music by Klaus Badelt Cinematography Geoffrey Hall Editing by Paul Hirsch Studio Hyde Park Entertainment
Distributed by Freestyle Releasing Release date(s) March 16, 2011(Italy)
April 29, 2011 (United States)
Running time 108 minutes Country United States Language English
Budget $20 million Box office $4,634,062
Dylan Dog: Dead of Night is a 2011 comedy horror film based on Tiziano Sclavi's Italian comic book Dylan Dog, starring Brandon Routh as the eponymous detective. The film was released on March 16, 2011 in Italy, and April 29, 2011 in the United States.
In New Orleans, Dylan Dog (Brandon Routh) is an ace detective whose specialty is paranormal cases. Now, he must deal with vampires, werewolves, zombies, and a guardian all due to a client's (Anita Briem) case. With the help of Marcus Deckler (Sam Huntington), his undead assistant, he will have to persevere for the sake of the Earth.
- Brandon Routh as Dylan Dog
- Anita Briem as Elizabeth Ryan
- Sam Huntington as Marcus Deckler
- Peter Stormare as Gabriel Cysnos
- Taye Diggs as Vargas
- Kurt Angle as Wolfgang
- Brian Steele as Tattooed Zombie, Belial
- Marco St. John as Borelli
- Courtney J. Clark as Alley
- Randall Reeder as Bob the mechanic
- Kent Jude Bernard as Slake
- Courtney Shay Young as Trueblood vampire
- Scott Mitchell Rosenberg as Zombie priest
The film was produced by independent film companies Platinum Studios and Hyde Park Films, distributed by Freestyle Releasing, and directed by Kevin Munroe. It starred Brandon Routh, Sam Huntington, Anita Briem, Peter Stormare, Kurt Angle, and Taye Diggs. This was the second time Routh and Huntington will co-star in a film together, the previous film being Superman Returns.
The film was released in the United States and Canada on April 29, 2011.
The film was released in Italy on March 16, 2011. The world premiere took place on March 15.
Grossing a mere $4 million worldwide ($1.2 million domestically) on a $20 million production budget Dylan Dog: Dead of Night is considered a flop. The film currently holds a 6% 'rotten' rating on review aggregate website Rotten Tomatoes with a consensus stating: "An uninspired, feebly-acted horror/comedy that produces little scares and laughs."
Luca Raffaelli of la Repubblica, after watching the film said "it's a good B-movie inspired to a great top-league European comic", and points out that the character of Brandon Routh "is void" while the original comic character "uses the horror to talk about modern society problems".
Roberto Castrogiovanni (www.Movieplayer.it) tries not to compare the movie and the original comic, but still "not everything is perfect", and the biggest problem is "the starting plot and the development of the screenplay": the plot is predictable, dialogues are the usual stereotypes, and the main character is just the usual American action-man.
Federica Aliano (www.Film.it) heavily criticized the movie, saying "it's far worse than any bad expectation" and highlighted the big difference with the original comic: "the mature feeling of Tiziano Sclavi's masterpiece is never achieved by using splatter and beautiful images, but by using psychological introspection and by projecting into reality the nightmares and fears of characters and readers".
Federico Gironi (Coming Soon Television) refers to the film without comparing it to the original comic, and notices many similarities with Underworld, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and True Blood, that make the film "like baby food, good for an extremely young target without a deep sense of criticism", although the director "avoids to disappoint the audience and gets a couple of good gags".
Negative reception also comes from Marco Lucio Papaleo (www.Everyeye.it), who gives an overall score of 5 out of 10. "Technically Dylan Dog: Dead of Night is not bad, and sometimes even interesting. But it is not Dylan Dog. And even if all the names were changed, it would just be a nice movie, but actually already seen and useless".
- ^ a b Dylan Dog: Dead of Night at Box Office Mojo
- ^ http://www.everyeye.it/cinema/notizia/dylan-dog-anticipata-l-uscita-italiana_90204
- ^ Kit, Borys (March 1, 2011). "'Dylan Dog: Dead of Night' Release Date Set". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/dylan-dog-dead-night-release-162858.
- ^ Rizzo, Marco (March 16, 2011). "Dylan Dog: Dead of Night". http://www.ddcomics.it/catalogo-dyd/dylan-dog-il-film-dead-of-night/.
- ^ Dylan Dog: Dead of Night at Rotten Tomatoes
- ^ "Dylan Dog, un'occasione sprecata". la Repubblica. 15-03-2011. http://tv.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-cultura/dylan-dog-un-occasione-sprecata/64166?video&pagefrom=1. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- ^ Roberto Castrogiovanni (15-03-2011). "Dylan l'ammazzavampiri". Movieplayer.it. http://www.movieplayer.it/articoli/07918/dylan-l-ammazzavampiri/. Retrieved 2011-03-17.
- ^ Federica Aliano (16-03-2011). "Un pasticcio emo e adolescenziale, difficile da definire. Lento e noioso, oltre che sciocco". In film.it. http://www.film.it/film/recensione-dylan-dog. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- ^ Federico Gironi (15-03-2011). "Dylan Dog - la recensione del film". Comingsoon.it. http://www.comingsoon.it/News_Articoli/Recensioni/Page/?Key=5871. Retrieved 2011-03-17.
- ^ Marco Lucio Papaleo (16-03-2011). "Dylan Dog - Il Film - Recensione". Everyeye.it. http://www.everyeye.it/cinema/articoli/dylan-dog-il-film_recensione_13449. Retrieved 2011-03-17.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dylan Dog — ist die Comicfigur der gleichnamigen Comicserie, welche von Tiziano Sclavi für den italienischen Comicverlag Sergio Bonelli Editore (international: Bonelli Comics) erfunden wurde. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Serie 2 Figur 3 Nebenfiguren … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dead of Night (disambiguation) — Dead of Night may refer to: Dead of Night, a 1945 British film Dead of Night (TV series), a 1972 British TV series Dead of Night (Torchwood), a 2011 episode of the BBC and Starz TV series, Torchwood: Miracle Day. Dead of Night (Fighting Fantasy) … Wikipedia
Dylan Dog — For the 2011 film based on the comics, see Dylan Dog: Dead of Night. Dylan Dog Dylan Dog #62 cover by Angelo Stano Publication information Publisher … Wikipedia
Dylan Dog (Film) — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Dylan Dog Originaltitel Dylan Dog: Night of Dead … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dylan Dog — Personnage de fiction Naissance octobre 1986 Origine … Wikipédia en Français
Night Route — The Twilight Zone (2nd revival) episode Episode no. Season 1 Episode 6 Directed by Jean de Segonzac Written by … Wikipedia
Dylan Thomas — For other uses, see Dylan Thomas (disambiguation). Dylan Thomas Born 27 October 1914 Uplands, Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales … Wikipedia
Grateful Dead — This article is about the band. For the folktale, see Grateful dead (folklore). Grateful Dead Grateful Dead members backstage during the early 1980s (l r): Brent Mydland, Bob Weir, Jerry Garcia, Bill Kreutzmann. Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart are not… … Wikipedia
Grateful Dead discography — Grateful Dead discography The steal your face sign is one of the Grateful Dead s official logos. Releases ↙Studio albums 13 … Wikipedia
Gratefull Dead — Grateful Dead Grateful Dead Le Grateful Dead en 1987 : Bob Weir, Jerry Garcia et Mickey Hart Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français