- DESE Research
DESE Research, Inc., is a veteran-owned, small-business firm conducting theoretical and analytical research services in the fields of Defense, Energy, Space, and Environment. DESE was formed in 1982 by former U.S. Army civil-service executive Dr. Wallace (Wally) Kirkpatrick. In addition to research accomplishments, DESE is recognized for high ethical standards and leadership in community services.
DESE Research, Inc. Type Veteran-Owned, Small Business Industry Defense Founded Huntsville, Alabama (1982) Headquarters Huntsville, Alabama Key people Wallace Kirkpatrick, CEO
Michael Kirkpatrick, President
Organization and management
- Chief executive officer – Wallace E. Kirkpatrick
- President – Michael A. Kirkpatrick
- Chief operations officer – Wilbur J. Etbauer
- Business development – David F. Hemingway
- Administration – Norma M. Osborne
- Advanced Technology – H. Ray Sells
- Leavenworth Operations – William E. Gevedon
- Medium Extended Air Defense System – Shawn P. Wilson
- Missile Systems Development – William T. Naff, Ph.D.
- Simulation Applications – David F. Hemingway
- Systems Engineering and Test – Victor Dlugoszewski
- Washington, D.C. Operations – Paul R. Logan
At the present and in recent years, the client base of DESE has included the following Government Agencies and Business Industries.
Army Aviation and Missile Command; Army Combined Arms Center; Army Installation Management Command; Army Space and Missile Defense Command; Army Test and Evaluation Command; Army Training and Doctrine Command; Defense Intelligence Agency (Missile and Space Intelligence Center); Defense Threat Reduction Agency; Joint Systems Integration Center; Missile Defense Agency: NASA Marshall Space Flight Center; and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. DESE Research is certified by the General Services Administration under Professional Engineering Services and Information Technology Services.
Boeing Company; CAS Group/Wyle; COLSA Corporation; Computer Sciences Corporation; Dynetics; General Dynamics; L3 Communications; Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space; Raytheon Company; Science Applications International Corporation; Teledyne Brown Engineering; plus others, mainly Small Businesses.
Areas of specialization
DESE offers the following primary areas of expertise and recently developed tools and processes.
Areas of expertise
Advanced software development; cyber security; database engineering; enterprise architecture; independent validation and verification; information assurance; intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance; interoperability certification; missile research and development; modeling and simulation; requirements analysis; test and evaluation; threat assessment; training; weapon system design.
DESE has received contracts, subcontracts, or Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) awards in these areas. A number of the activities resulted in published papers and patents.
Simulation tools and processes
DESE is recognized for developing simulation and modeling software tools. NASA’s heavy-lift vehicle projects use a DESE-developed code for their primary flight simulation In an unusual practice, DESE has made some of its simulations available to the public as open-source code, permitting users to study, change, improve, and, at times, distribute the software.
DESE literature cites the following recently developed and used major tools and processe.
- C++ Model Developer – simulation kernel for quickly building dynamic simulations
- Digital Glue – scripting languages to make software interoperable
- T-Frames – universal architecture for high-fidelity missile engagement simulations
- MAVERIC – high-fidelity simulation used in developing heavy-lift vehicles
- Genetic Algorithms – optimization technique using survival-of-the fittest principles
- Mini-Rocket – easy-to configure, multiple-degree-of-freedom flyout trajectory model
- Collection Asset Visualization – optimizing location of intelligence sensors
- Flight Path Threat Assessment – identifying and avoiding MANPADS threat areas
- Battle Command Common Operational Architecture – JTF through Company HQs
- System-of-Systems Mission Threads – basis for Army Interoperability Certification
- ^ Smith, Wayne; "DESE Research - 25 years at forefront," The Huntsville Times, April 24, 2007, p. 1C
- ^ Beckett, Jeniffer; "DESE crystalizes high ethical standards," Huntsville R&D Magazine, Fall 2010, pp. 38-41
- ^ Received the 2006 Silver Volumteer Service Award from President George Bush
- ^ GSA Authorization; https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/ref_text/GS23F0177L/0GF40H.1VU0V2_GS-23F-0177L_FSSOPTIONPRICELIST.DOC
- ^ "DESE has received a 2010 Silver-Level Performance Excellence Award from Boeing," The Huntsville Times, Jan. 23, 2011, p. 1C
- ^ An example patent is No.7786417, "RAM Neutralization System and Method," granted Aug. 31, 2010; http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=ktTUAAAAEBAJ&dq=7786417
- ^ "Supporting the Military Through M&S," Technology Alabama, Summer 2007, pp. 14-15
- ^ "DESE Technology Undergrids NASA Ares Simulation," Technology Alabama, Spring 2010, p. 21; http://www.technologyalabama.com/content/dese-technology-undergirds-nasa-ares-simulation
- ^ "Open Source: DESE Research has released their new Object-Oriented Simulation Kernel as open code,' Technology Alabama, Winter 2005, p. 11.
- ^ "C++ Model Developer User Guide," U.S. Army Technical Report AMR-SG-05-12; http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA433836
- ^ "Mini-Rocket User Guide," U.S. Army Technical Report AMR-SS-07-27; http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA472173&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf
- DESE Research Official Web Site; http://www.dese.com/
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cummings Research Park — Cummings Research Park, located primarily in the city of Huntsville, Alabama is the second largest research park in the United States, and the fourth largest in the world.  The Research Triangle Park in North Carolina is the only research… … Wikipedia
Glenn Miller discography — Glenn Miller discography Major Glenn Miller Releases In addition to leading bands and playing the trombone, Glenn Miller composed music or lyrics to a number of songs. These and others were recorded by Miller with his pre war civilian bands… … Wikipedia
Higher education in Portugal — is divided into two main subsystems: university and polytechnic education. It is provided in autonomous public universities, private universities, public or private polytechnic institutions and higher education institutions of other types. Higher … Wikipedia
Columbia, Missouri — Coordinates: 38°56′54″N 92°20′2″W / 38.94833°N 92.33389°W / 38.94833; 92.33389 … Wikipedia
Racism — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
Education in Portugal — Ministry of Education, Higher Education and Science Minister Nuno Crato (2011 ) National education budget (2006) … Wikipedia
Missouri — This article is about the U.S. state of Missouri. For the river, see Missouri River. For other uses, see Missouri (disambiguation). State of Missouri … Wikipedia
David H. Hickman High School — Keep Smiling  Address 1104 North Providence Road … Wikipedia
Show Boat — Infobox Musical name = Show Boat boxwidth = 21em image size = 0 caption = Window card for the 1994 revival music = Jerome Kern lyrics = Oscar Hammerstein II book = Oscar Hammerstein II basis = Edna Ferber s 1926 novel Show Boat productions=1927… … Wikipedia
Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto — The Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto (ISEP) or Porto Superior Institute of Engineering is a public polytechnic higher learning and research institute of engineering, located in the city of Porto, Portugal. ISEP has eight departments and… … Wikipedia