Crushed Butler Background information Also known as Tiger Origin London, England Genres Protopunk, hard rock Years active 1969–1971 Associated acts The Cravattes
The Rock and Roll Trio
The Way of Life
The Mod Section
The Jesse Hector Sound
The Orange Illusion
The Hearts of Darkness
Darryl Read's Beat Existentialists
The Sharp Angles
Past members Jesse Hector
Notable instruments Fender Telecasteer, Premier Drums. Hofner Bass
Crushed Butler were a British protopunk/hard rock band that existed between 1969 and 1971. According to 2008's Pretty Vacant: A History of UK Punk, the band "was, in many ways, Britain's first proto-punk band." Band members went on to form Darryl Read's Beat Existentialists The Gorillas and to pursue solo careers.
Crushed Butler formed in 1969 with a line-up of Jesse Hector (guitar, vocals), Alan Butler (bass guitar), and Darryl Read (drums). They initially played cover versions of other bands' songs, before writing original material. In early 1971, the band changed their name to Tiger (the group), and the line-up had also changed to include Barry Mitchell, formerly a member of an early version of Queen Then Neil Christian of The Crusaders managed them for some time as Tiger, with Arthur Anderson playing bass guitar, but without an improvement in their fortunes, and split up later that year when Read took up a job as a songwriter at Track Records.
Hector and Butler continued as Helter-Skelter and went on to form The Hammersmith Gorillas (later shortened to The Gorillas), while Read pursued a solo career, as well as working as an actor. Read's works have included three albums (Beat Existentialist (1991) and Freshly Dug (1999) with Ray Manzarek, Bleeding Paradise being the last to date in 2007. In 2000 he starred alongside Jamie Foreman and Zoot Money in the feature film Remember a Day (2000 film) playing the leading role of Roger Bannerman, a reclusive rock star. He currently performs rock concerts with his group Beat Existentialists in Europe and the USA. His later literary works works have included a biographical novel, Stardom Road, and SET, selected poetry works illustrated by George Underwood.
The Crushed Butler recordings were eventually released in 1998 by Dig The Fuzz Records on the Uncrushed album.
- Crushed Butler Uncrushed 'First Punks from the British Underground 1969-1971' (1998), Dig the Fuzz records - (first release on 10 inch Vinyl)
- Crushed Butler Uncrushed (2005), RPM records - reissued as Uncrushed: First Punks from the British Underground 1969-1971' CD album (bonus track)
- Crushed Butler Uncrushed (2005), Madstar Records Germany - reissue CDBABY digital distribution
- Crushed Butler Uncrushed (2009) Radio Heart Beat Records (with new bonus track on 12" Vinyl)
- Crushed Butler Its My Life /My Sons Alive vinyl single (2010) Windian Records USA
- ^ Strongman, Phil (2008). Pretty Vacant: A History of UK Punk. Cappella Books (illustrated ed.). Chicago Review Press. p. 52. ISBN 1556527527.
- ^ a b c Heibutzki, Ralph "Crushed Butler Biography", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation, retrieved 27 September 2009
- ^ Heibutzki, Ralph "Uncrushed Review", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation, retrieved 27 September 2009
- ^ Ankeny, Jason "Jesse Hector Biography", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation, retrieved 27 September 2009
- ^ Hodkinson, Mark (2004) Queen: The Early Years, Music Sales, ISBN 978-1844490127, p. 128
- ^ Moco, João (2009) "Jim Morrisson homenageado sexta-feira no MusicBox", Diario de Noticias, 21 July 2009, retrieved 27 September 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Crushed Butler — Crushed Butler … Википедия
Smedley Butler — … Wikipedia
Darryl Read — live at the White Trash Club, Berlin 2009 Background information Birth name Darryl Michael Roy Read Born … Wikipedia
Tiger (the group) — Tiger Also known as Crushed Butler Origin London, England Genres Protopunk, hard rock Years active 1971–1972 … Wikipedia
The Gorillas — For the virtual band, see Gorillaz. The Gorillas Also known as The Hammersmith Gorillas Origin Hammersmith, London, England Genres R B, punk rock, hard rock … Wikipedia
Neil Christian — Birth name Christopher Tidmarsh Born 4 February 1943(1943 02 04), Hoxton, London, England Died 4 January 2010(2010 01 04) (aged 66) … Wikipedia
Hammersmith Gorillas — The Hammersmith Gorillas Жанр паб рок прото панк гаражный рок Годы 1974 1981 … Википедия
Crush — Crush: Crush компьютерная игра в жанре головоломки и платформера. «Crush» песня австралийской драм н бейс группы Pendulum. «Crush» песня немецкого трансового диджея Пола ван Дайка. «Crush» песня Jennifer Paige. См. также… … Википедия
United Kingdom — a kingdom in NW Europe, consisting of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: formerly comprising Great Britain and Ireland 1801 1922. 58,610,182; 94,242 sq. mi. (244,100 sq. km). Cap.: London. Abbr.: U.K. Official name, United Kingdom of Great… … Universalium
Rivalries in the National Football League — As with all sports leagues, there are a number of significant rivalries in the National Football League (NFL). Rivalries are occasionally created due to a particular event that causes bad blood between teams, players, coaches, or owners, but for… … Wikipedia