- Critical language awareness
In linguistics, critical language awareness, often referred to as CLA, is a notion that relates to a learner's development of practical language capabilities and their ability to recognize what constitutes "appropriate" in language. A person's CLA may be heightened by being marginalized by their race, ethnicity, religion, social status, etc. It is "a prerequisite for effective democratic citizenship, and should therefore be seen as an entitlement for citizens, especially children developing towards citizenship in the educational system".
- Critical discourse analysis
- Critical pedagogy
- Language awareness
- Critically applied linguistics
- Politically correct
- ^ "Critical Language Awareness Part I: A Critical Review of Three Current Approaches to Language Awareness.". Language and Education: an International Journal. 1990. ISSN 0950-0782. http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ437787&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ437787. Retrieved 2009-07-29.
- ^ Fairclough, Norman. "Global capitalism and critical awareness of language". Schools on the Web. http://www.schools.ash.org.au/litweb/norman1.html. Retrieved 2009-07-29.
- ^ Reginald Mpho Monareng, Rakwena. "The Critical Language Awareness Perspective within the English Second Language Teacher Development". The International Journal of the Humanities (Faculty of Education, University of Johannesburg, South Africa) 5 (1): 67–74. http://ijh.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.26/prod.968. Retrieved 2009-07-29.
- ^ Mehl, Deborah; Deborah Mehl; Shirley Pendlebury (1991). "Grey areas and open minds: critical language awareness for student teachers". Journal of Curriculum Studies 23 (5): 435–448. doi:10.1080/0022027910230506. ISSN 1366-5839.
- ^ Alim, H. S., H. Samy Alim (2005). "Critical Language Awareness in the United States: Revisiting Issues and Revising Pedagogies in a Resegregated Society". Educational Researcher 34 (7): 24. doi:10.3102/0013189X034007024. http://edr.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/34/7/24. Retrieved 2009-07-29.
- Critical language awareness, Cambridge English for Schools
- Addressing Political “Confusion Syndrome” Discourses: A Critical Applied Linguistics Perspective, Petra Christian University
- Critical Language Awareness (CLA) and EFL
This linguistics article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.