Creswick railway station
VLocity train stopped at Creswick,
the original station building and platform in the background
Station information Code CWK Distance from
139.47 km Operator V/Line Line Mildura # Platforms 2 # Tracks 1 Status Unmanned Opened 1874 VicRoads map Link Google map Link Myki zone Zone 9
Creswick is a railway station on the Mildura railway line in Creswick, Victoria, Australia. It is 137 km (174 km via Geelong) from Southern Cross station and is served by V/Line passenger services to Melbourne, Ballarat and Maryborough.
The operational station platform is located on the eastern side of the line, with a steel shelter provided for waiting passengers. A sealed carpark, taxi rank and bus stop are located on the town side of the platform. The station was reopened to passengers on 25 July 2010, when V/Line services were extended from Ballarat to Maryborough.
A heritage listed station building, platform and signal box also exist on the western side of the line; with a pedestrian subway passing underneath the tracks at the Ballarat end. The original station building was built in 1874, and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. A goods shed is also located on the site, with no tracks connected.
The station was closed to passengers by the Kennett Government in 1993 when passenger rail services to Mildura were discontinued. The station then lay disused, until $90,000 was spent repairing the station buildings in 2002, with a private tenant leasing it until June 2009. Since then vandalism has damaged the building with the cost of repairing the damage estimated at $40,000.
When the return of passenger services was announced the State Government said that the cost to upgrade the platform for wheelchair access was too high, resulting in the construction of a new platform instead. In 2010 local residents proposed the disused station building be developed into a community hub, with the support of the Hepburn Shire Council and VicTrack.
The junction for a branch line to Daylesford was approximately 1.6 kilometres north of Creswick at North Creswick station. This branch was constructed in the 1880s and operated until 1952 when it was cut back to Newlyn. This was further truncated to Allendale in 1976 and closed completely in 1985.
- Maryborough line - daily V/Line service to/from Melbourne and Maryborough
- ^ "Maryborough Rail Services". Victorian Transport Plan. www.transport.vic.gov.au. http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/web23/Home.nsf/AllDocs/2e119eebf81209d2ca257625001ae39c?OpenDocument. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- ^ Emily Sobey (August 25, 2009). "Creswick on track for railway". Hepburn Advocate. www.hepburnadvocate.com.au. http://www.hepburnadvocate.com.au/news/local/news/general/creswick-on-track-for-railway/1605165.aspx. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- ^ "Creswick Railway Station Complex, Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) Number H1669, Heritage Overlay HO561". Victorian Heritage Database. Heritage Victoria. http://vhd.heritage.vic.gov.au/vhd/heritagevic#detail_places;325.
- ^ "Creswick Station (entry AHD103646)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=103646. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- ^ Nick Higgins (September 2, 2009). "Creswick station renewal off the tracks". Ballarat Courier. www.thecourier.com.au. http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/creswick-station-renewal-off-the-tracks/1613111.aspx. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- ^ Emily Sobey (August 25, 2009). "Creswick Station too bad to fix". Ballarat Courier. www.thecourier.com.au. http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/creswick-station-too-bad-to-fix/1604812.aspx. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- ^ "Boost for Creswick Railway Station community hub plan". Media Release: Hepburn Shire Council. www.hepburn.vic.gov.au. March 17, 2010. http://www.hepburn.vic.gov.au/Files/BoostforCreswickRailwayStationcommunityhubplan170310.pdf. Retrieved 2010-09-04.
Station Navigation Maryborough line ← Previous Station Ballarat | Clunes Next Station → Entire network
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Creswick railway station, Victoria — VictorianClosedRailwayStation NAME= Creswick IMAGELINK=Creswick1.jpg CAPTION=Station building and signal box LINE=Mildura DISTANCE=139.47 km PLATFORMS= 1 TRACKS= 1 STATUS=Closed OPENED=1874 CLOSED=1993 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l hl=en… … Wikipedia
Clunes railway station — Clunes Station information Code CLU Distance from Southern Cross 153km (via Bacchus Marsh) Operator V/Line … Wikipedia
Ballarat railway station, Victoria — VlineRailwayStation1 NAME= Ballarat IMAGELINK=Ballarat railway station train hall.jpg CAPTION=Inside the train shed CODE=BAL DISTANCE=121.80 km LINES=Ballarat Ararat PLATFORMS=2 TRACKS=2 STATUS=Staffed Station FACILITIES=… … Wikipedia
Nilma railway station, Victoria — Nilma is a closed station on the Orbost railway line in the town of the same name in Victoria, Australia. It was originally named Bloomfield but was later changed to Nilma in 1909 because of the confusion with the town of Bloomfield in the… … Wikipedia
Creswick, Victoria — Creswick Victoria Former Town Hall … Wikipedia
Mildura railway line — Mildura railway line, Victoria Line details Commenced 1874 Completed 1903 Closed … Wikipedia
Mildura railway line, Victoria — VictorianRailwayLineInfobox type = vic name = Mildura yearcommenced = 1874 yearopened = yearcompleted = 1903 yearclosed = 1993 (for passengers) fate = Freight only lengthkm = 604 stations = 9 tracks = 1 users = Pacific National servicepattern =… … Wikipedia
List of closed railway stations in Victoria — This is a list of former railway stations and railway lines in Victoria, Australia. Many of these stations and lines have abandoned or demolished. For closed railway station in suburban Melbourne see List of closed railway stations in… … Wikipedia
List of localities in Victoria (Australia) — Map of Local Government Areas in Victoria This is a list of locality names and populated place names in the state of Victoria, Australia, outside the Melbourne metropolitan area. It is organised by region from the south west of the state to the… … Wikipedia
Ballarat, Victoria — Infobox Australian Place | type = city name = Ballarat state = vic caption = Main street scene pop = 85,197 (2006) pop footnotes … Wikipedia