- Country Music (Willie Nelson album)
Country Music Studio album by Willie Nelson Released April 20, 2010 Genre Country
Length 54:47 Label Rounder Producer T Bone Burnett Willie Nelson chronology American Classic
Remember Me, Vol. 1
Country Music is a 2010 album by country artist Willie Nelson. The album consists in a compilation of country music standards. Produced by Grammy winning T Bone Burnett, it was released on April 20, 2010 by Rounder Records, and according to Nelson is the first traditional album he has ever recorded. It was his first release in the 2010s.
The album consists in a recollection of country music standards, Nelson stated that the album reflects his ideal of country music, featuring mandolins, fiddles and steel guitars and compared the album to his 1978 pop standards success Stardust. Nelson and music producer T Bone Burnett had the idea to record an album together while they were playing a golf game in California. The album was recorded in Nashville, Nelson stated "We venture into all kinds of music but this is country music. No one would argue the fact that these are country songs".
Professional ratings Aggregate scores Source Rating Metacritic (78/100) Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Slant Magazine  The 9513  PopMatters 
The album reached number four in Billboard's Top Country Albums, number twenty in the Billboard 200 and number five in Canadian Top Country Albums. It was nominated for Best Americana Album in the 2011 Grammy Awards.
Billboard described the album as "front-porch, rural and rustic country music". Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic gave the album 3 out of 5 stars, comparing it as lacking in an "immediacy" to his recent works, and stressing a displeasure in the production which "puts a layer of gauze between the listener and the singer." Juli Thanki of The 9513 gave the album 4 out of 5 stars, complimenting the musical arrangements and song choices. However, she commented that Nelson's vocal performances were inconsistent on a few of the tracks, namely "Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down" and "Dark as a Dungeon."
Slant Magazine rated the article with four stars out of five. Critic Jonathan Keefe wrote: "the spectacular collection of songs as much as Burnett's ace production and Nelson's first-rate performances that elevates Country Music above the recent spate of country covers records and makes the album an essential addition to Nelson's rich catalogue".
BBC music acclaimed Nelson's voice and performance of traditional country covers: "It’s a long way from Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain, On the Road Again and Crazy, and has none of the sparing tension of his finest works like Red Headed Stranger. But the great news is that his greatest asset – that wonderfully persuasive and uniquely distinctive voice – remains perfectly intact, and that alone is cause enough to make it an album to be cherished. [...] Nelson delivers hardy material like traditional Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down and I Am a Pilgrim with such wizened assurance, it’s impossible not to feel the love".
The Washington Post described Country Music as "a calm, contemplative and remarkably consistent album", praising specially the performance of "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down": "[...] while Nelson's voice remains front and center throughout, Burnett's fingerprints are all over "Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down." It's a traditional hymn that nudges Nelson out of his easy-breezy comfort zone, placing those warm, generous pipes in an eerie new context. The musicians barely touch their instruments as they creep along to the song's phantom pulse".
PopMatters wrote: "One virtue shared by both Burnett, the producer, and Nelson, the performer, is an unerring trust that the song itself is up to the task. Both stand amongst American music’s most incisive students of song. That expertise reveals itself in both the selection and handling of each track on Country Music. [...] it takes someone like T Bone Burnett to remind us that there’s no one like Willie Nelson".
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Man with the Blues" Nelson 2:21 2. "Seaman's Blues" Billy Talmadge, Ernest Tubb 3:22 3. "Dark as a Dungeon" Merle Travis 4:49 4. "Gotta Walk Alone" Weldon Allard, John Hathcock 2:13 5. "Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down" Traditional 3:19 6. "My Baby's Gone" Hazel Houser 5:05 7. "Freight Train Boogie" Jim Scott/Robert Nabor
Credited in the liner notes to Doc Watson
2:39 8. "Satisfied Mind" Joe "Red" Hayes, Jack Rhodes 3:52 9. "You Done Me Wrong" George Jones, Ray Price 3:12 10. "Pistol Packin' Mama" Al Dexter 2:36 11. "Ocean of Diamonds" Cliff Carnahan 3:36 12. "Drinking Champagne" Bill Mack Smith 3:42 13. "I Am a Pilgrim" Traditional 4:52 14. "House of Gold" Hank Williams 4:43 15. "Nobody's Fault but Mine" Traditional 4:26
- Willie Nelson - vocals; gut string acoustic guitar
- Jim Lauderdale - vocal harmonies on 1, 2, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
- Buddy Miller - electric guitar; vocal harmonies on 5, 6, 8, 9
- Chris Sharp - acoustic guitar; vocal harmonies on 11
- Dennis Crouch – acoustic bass
- Riley Baugus – banjo
- Ronnie McCoury - mandolin
- Mike Compton - mandolin on 2
- Russell Pahl - pedal steel
- Stuart Duncan - fiddle
- Shad Cobb - fiddle on 2, 13, 15
- Mickey Raphael - harmonica
Country Music debuted at #4 on the U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums chart and at #20 on the U.S. Billboard 200. As of May 19, 2010, the album has sold 45,348 copies.
Chart (2010) Peak
U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums 4 U.S. Billboard 200 20 Canadian Top Country Albums 5 Canadian Albums Chart 56 Swedish Albums Chart 41
End of year charts
Chart (2010) Year-end
US Billboard Top Country Albums 66
- ^ "CMT Insider Interview: Willie Nelson". CMT. MTV Networks. April 23, 2010. http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1637711/cmt-insider-interview-willie-nelson.jhtml. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ Evans-Price, Deborah (April 21, 2010). "Willie Nelson Delivers True 'Country Music'". The Boot. AOL Inc.. http://www.theboot.com/2010/04/21/wille-nelson-album-interview/. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ "Country Music". MetaCritic. http://www.metacritic.com/music/country-music. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ Slant Magazine review
- ^ The 9513 review
- ^ PopMatters review
- ^ Hall, Tara (July 13, 2010). "Willie Nelson pushes "Country Music" nationwide". Sound Spike. MTV Networks. http://www.soundspike.com/news/tour/266-willie_nelson_concert_news_tour_dates/. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ "Last.fm Trends: Willie Nelson’s On Grammy Road Again". Last.fm (CBS). February 3, 2011. http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/02/03/last-fm-trends-willie-nelson%E2%80%99s-on-grammy-road-again-2/. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ Graff, Gary (April 30, 2010). "Willie Nelson, "Country Music"". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. http://www.billboard.com/#/new-releases/willie-nelson-country-music-1004088021.story. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ Thomas, Stephen (2010-04-20). "((( Country Music > Overview )))". allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1716369. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- ^ "Album Review: Willie Nelson – Country Music". 9513 Country Music. The 9513. May 28, 2010. http://www.the9513.com/album-review-willie-nelson-country-music/. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- ^ Keefe, Jonathan (April 19, 2010). "Willie Nelson Country Music". Slant Magazine (Slant Magazine). http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/willie-nelson-country-music/2075. Retrieved May 22, 2010.
- ^ Irwin, Colin (April 28, 2010). "So assured is Nelson that it’s impossible not to feel the love.". BBC Music. http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/28zb. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ Richards, Chris (April 20, 2010). "Album reviews: Willie Nelson, "Country Music" and Merle Haggard, "I Am What I Am"". Click Track (The Washington Post). http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktrack/2010/04/album_reviews_willie_nelson_co.html. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ Child, Ben (April 23, 2010). "Willie Nelson: Country Music". PopMatters.com. PopMatters. http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/123765-willie-nelson-country-music/. Retrieved May 22, 2011.
- ^ NAME:. "Lady Antebellum Leads SoundScan Charts Again | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video". Roughstock.com. http://www.roughstock.com/blog/lady-antebellum-leads-soundscan-charts-again. Retrieved 2010-09-06.
- ^ "Best of 2010 - Top Country Albums". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. http://www.billboard.com/#/charts-year-end/top-country-albums?year=2010. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
Albums · Singles Studio albumsAnd Then I Wrote · Here's Willie Nelson · Country Willie – His Own Songs · Country Favorites-Willie Nelson Style · Make Way for Willie Nelson · "The Party's Over" And Other Great Willie Nelson Songs · Texas in My Soul · Good Times · My Own Peculiar Way · Both Sides Now · Laying My Burdens Down · Willie Nelson and Family · Yesterday's Wine · The Words Don't Fit the Picture · The Willie Way · Shotgun Willie · Phases and Stages · Red Headed Stranger · The Sound in Your Mind · The Troublemaker · To Lefty from Willie · There'll Be No Teardrops Tonight · Stardust · Sings Kristofferson · Pretty Paper · The Electric Horseman · Honeysuckle Rose · Family Bible · Somewhere Over the Rainbow · Always On My Mind · Tougher Than Leather · Without a Song · City of New Orleans · Angel Eyes · Me & Paul · Partners · The Promiseland · Island in the Sea · What a Wonderful World · A Horse Called Music · Born for Trouble · Any Old Arms Won't Do · The IRS Tapes: Who'll Buy My Memories? · Across the Borderline · Moonlight Becomes You · Healing Hands of Time · Six Hours at Pedernales · Just One Love · Spirit · How Great Thou Art · Teatro · Night and Day · Tales Out of Luck (Me and the Drummer) · Milk Cow Blues · Rainbow Connection · The Great Divide · Nacogdoches · It Always Will Be · Countryman · You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker · Songbird · Moment of Forever · American Classic · Country Music · Remember Me, Vol. 1 Live albumsCountry Music Concert · Willie Nelson Live · Willie and Family Live · All of Me – Live in Concert · Willie Nelson & Friends – Stars & Guitars · Live and Kickin' · Live at Billy Bob's Texas · Outlaws and Angels · Songs for Tsunami Relief: Austin to South Asia · Here We Go Again: Celebrating the Genius of Ray Charles · Compilation albumsColumbus Stockade Blues · Country Winners · The Best of Willie Nelson · Spotlight on Willie Nelson · Country Willie · What Can You Do to Me Now · The Longhorn Jamboree Presents: Willie Nelson & His Friends · Willie – Before His Time · Face of a Fighter · Sweet Memories · Always · His Very Best · Greatest Hits (& Some That Will Be) · Minstrel Man · Everybody's Talkin' · The Best of Willie Nelson · 20 of the Best · Collectors Series · Half Nelson · Love Songs · Yours Always · Super Hits · Super Hits, Volume 2 · Revolutions of Time...The Journey 1975/1993 · Willie Standard Time · 16 Biggest Hits · Good Ol' Country Singin' · All the Songs I've Loved Before: 40 Unforgettable Songs · Crazy: The Demo Sessions · The Essential Willie Nelson · Songs · 16 Biggest Hits, Volume II · One Hell of a Ride · Playlist: The Very Best of Willie Nelson · Legend: The Best of Willie Nelson · Naked Willie · Lost Highway SongsSan Antonio Rose · Stay All Night (Stay a Little Longer) · Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain · Fire and Rain · Blue Skies · All of Me · September Song · Help Me Make It Through the Night · On the Road Again · Mona Lisa · I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter · Always on My Mind · Let It Be Me · Take It to the Limit · To All the Girls I've Loved Before · City of New Orleans · Twilight Time · Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other FilmographyThe Electric Horseman · Honeysuckle Rose · Thief' · Barbarosa · Once Upon a Texas Train · Starlight · Gone Fishin' · Wag the Dog · Half Baked · The Country Bears · The Dukes of Hazzard · Beerfest · Broken Bridges · The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning · Blonde Ambition · Swing Vote · Surfer, Dude · Beer For My Horses · A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All! Related articlesWillie Nelson filmography · List of awards and nominations received by Willie Nelson · Outlaw country · Columbia Records · Legacy Recordings · Lost Highway Records · National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws · Shirley Collie Nelson
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Country Favorites-Willie Nelson Style — Studio album by Willie Nelson Released 1966 … Wikipedia
Collectors Series (Willie Nelson album) — Collerctor s Series Compilation album by Willie Nelson Released 1985 Genre Country Label … Wikipedia
Night and Day (Willie Nelson album) — Night and Day Studio album by Willie Nelson Released July 13, 1999 Genre … Wikipedia
Songbird (Willie Nelson album) — Infobox Album Name = Songbird Type = Album Artist = Willie Nelson Released = October 31, 2006 Recorded = Genre = Alternative country Length = 44:39 Label = Lost Highway Records Producer = Ryan Adams Reviews = * Allmusic rating|4|5… … Wikipedia
Spirit (Willie Nelson album) — Infobox Album Name = Spirit Type = Studio Artist = Willie Nelson Released = June 1996 Recorded = 1996 Genre = Country Music Classical music Length = 57:56 Label = Island Records Producer = Willie Nelson Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|4.5|5… … Wikipedia
Tougher Than Leather (Willie-Nelson-Album) — Tougher Than Leather Studioalbum von Willie Nelson Veröffentlichung 1983 Label Columbia Records … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Great Divide (Willie Nelson album) — Infobox Album Name = The Great Divide Type = studio Artist = Willie Nelson Released = 2002 Recorded = Genre = Country Length = 53:34 Label = Lost Highway Producer = Matt Serletic Reviews = Last album = Rainbow Connection (2001) This album = The… … Wikipedia
Country Boy (Bobby Vinton album) — Country Boy Studio album by Bobby Vinton Released 1966 Genre … Wikipedia
Country music — Stylistic origins Appalachian folk music, maritime folk music, blues, bluegrass, gospel, anglo celtic music, old time music Cultural origins Early 20th century Atlantic Canada and the Southern United States Typical instruments … Wikipedia
Country Music Association Awards — Awarded for Achievements in Country Music Presented by See list below Country United States First awarded 1967 Official website … Wikipedia