List of ongoing military conflicts
The following is a list of ongoing military conflicts that are taking place around the world and which continue to result in violent deaths. This list is for the sole purpose of identifying present-day conflicts and the death toll associated with each conflict.
Fatality figures include both civilian and military deaths. Military conflicts which no longer produce violent deaths are not listed here, but can be found in the historical list of wars and the list of wars extended by diplomatic irregularity.
1,000+ deaths per year
Conflicts in the following list are currently causing at least 1,000 violent deaths per year, a categorization used by the Uppsala Conflict Data Program and recognised by the United Nations. The UN also use the term "low intensity conflict," which can overlap with the 1,000 violent deaths per year categorisation.
Start of conflict War/conflict Location Cumulative fatalities Fatalities in 2010/11 1953 Nigerian Sharia conflict Nigeria 10,000+ 1,017+ 1964 Colombian Armed Conflict Colombia 150,000–200,000 1,000+ 1967 Naxalite-Maoist insurgency India ~11,200 1,174+ 1978 Afghan civil war Afghanistan 600,000–2,000,000 10,461+  1991 Somali Civil War Somalia 300,000–400,000 2,318+ 2003 Iraq War Iraq 102,344–1,455,590  4,571+ 2004 War in North-West Pakistan Pakistan 30,452 7,435 2004 Shia Insurgency in Yemen Yemen and Saudi Arabia 25,000 8,000 2006 Mexican Drug War Mexico 43,270+ 24,374 2011 Sudan–SPLM-N conflict Sudan 1,500+ 1,500+ 2011 2011 Yemeni uprising Yemen 1,580–1,782  1,580–1,782 2011 2011 Syrian uprising Syria 2,550–4,200 2,550–4,220
There are many other smaller-scale armed conflicts that are currently causing a smaller number of violent fatalities each year. Several short-lived violent conflicts have arisen as part of the Arab Spring in 2011, though the phenomenon has included mostly peaceful protests.
Anti-government protests in the 21st century Revolutions
OtherGlobal protestsArab Spring
- Algerian protests (2010–2011)
- Djiboutian protests (2011)
- Israeli border demonstrations (2011)
- Iraqi protests (2011)
- Jordanian protests (2011)
- Lebanese protests (2011)
- Mauritanian protests (2010–2011)
- Moroccan protests (2011)
- Omani protests (2011)
- Saudi Arabian protests (2011)
- Sudanese protests (2011)
- Western Saharan protests (2011)
- Albanian opposition demonstrations (2011)
- Argentinian riots (2001)
- Armenian presidential election protests (2008)
- Armenian protests (2011)
- Azerbaijani protests (2011)
- Bolivian protests (2011)
- Burkinabé protests (2011)
- Cameroonian anti-government protests (2008)
- Canadian anti-prorogation protests (2010)
- Chilean Magellanic protests (2011)
- Chilean protests (2011)
- Chinese protests (2011)
- Croatian protests (2011)
- French civil unrest (2005)
- French pension reform strikes (2010)
- Georgian demonstrations (2007)
- Georgian protests (2011)
- Greek riots (2008)
- Greek protests (2010–2011)
- Hungarian protests (2006)
- Hong Kong democracy demonstration (2005)
- Hong Kong universal suffrage demonstration (2010)
- Hong Kong Anti-budget demonstration (2011)
- Icelandic financial crisis protests (2009)
- Indian anti-corruption movement (2011)
- Iranian election protests (2009–2010)
- Iranian protests (2011)
- Israeli reserve soldiers' protest (2006)
- Israeli housing protests (2011)
- Kurdish protests in Iraq (2011)
- Kurdish protests in Turkey (2011)
- Malaysian HINDRAF rally (2007)
- Malaysian Bersih rally (2007)
- Malaysian Bersih 2.0 rally (2011)
- Malawi protests (2011)
- Mexican protests (2011)
- Moldova civil unrest (2009)
- Nepalese democracy movement (2006)
- Portuguese protests (2011)
- Russian Dissenters March (2005–2008)
- Sahrawi protest camp at Gdeim Izik (2010)
- Catalan autonomy protest in Spain (2010)
- Spanish protests (2011)
- Tamil diaspora protests against Sri Lanka (2009)
- Tamil diaspora protests against Sri Lanka in Canada (2009)
- Turkish Republic Protests (2007)
- UK anti-austerity protests (2011)
- US Tea Party protests (2009–2010)
- US public employee protests (2011)
- Wisconsin citizen protests (2011)
Lists of wars by date
- ^ "Definitions Uppsala Conflict Data Program". http://www.pcr.uu.se/research/ucdp/definitions/. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- ^ "The World at War". GlobalSecurity.org. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/index.html. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- ^ "Humanitarian Negotiations with Armed Groups, A Manual & Guidelines for Practitioners". http://ochaonline.un.org/humanitariannegotiations/Chapter1-2.htm#FNfour. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- ^ "UN peacekeeping chief says Darfur `a low-intensity conflict' with 150 deaths a month". http://www.startribune.com/nation/43815017.html?elr=KArks:DCiUMEaPc:UiacyKUUr. Retrieved 2009-05-07. [dead link]
- ^ http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gzl2_TiUNy_W4vqIC3NZSasnA5HA
- ^ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8555018.stm
- ^ http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/08/alfonso-cano-colombia-farc
- ^ http://www.colombiareports.com/colombia-news/news/17441-military-claims-to-have-killed-3500-criminals-in-2011.html
- ^ "India's Maoists offer ceasefire". BBC News. 2010-02-22. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8529124.stm. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- ^  2,412+ civilians, 711 foreign troops, 1,292 Afghan police, 821 Afghan soldiers and 5,225 insurgents kileld in 2010
- ^ "Twentieth Century Atlas - Death Tolls and Casualty Statistics for Wars, Dictatorships and Genocides". Users.erols.com. http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat3.htm. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ John Pike (2004-11-05). "Hundreds of thousands killed in years of war, says new president". Globalsecurity.org. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2004/11/mil-041105-irin03.htm. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ 
- ^ "Iraq Body Count". http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/. Retrieved 2011-06-18.
- ^ http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/iraq
- ^ 
- ^ "‘Global War on Terror Claims 30,000 Pakistani Casualties’". http://www.vamban.com/global-war-on-terror-claims-30000-pakistani-casualties.
- ^ 
- ^ Page 2
- ^ "Mexico says 28,000 killed in drugs war since 2006". BBC News. 2010-08-04. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10860614.
- ^ "Durante 2010 hubo 24 mil 374 homicidios en México: La Jornada". INEGI. 28 July 2011. http://www.jornada.unam.mx/ultimas/2011/07/28/201721657-en-2010-hubo-24-mil-374-homicidios-en-mexico-inegi/.
- ^ 150 protesters and 154 soldiers killed (by 21 May) 150 killed in the ammo dump explosion, 170 protesters and soldiers killed (18-25 September), total of 624 killed outside of the street fighting
- ^ 253-273 reported killed during the Battle of Sana'a, 616-762 during the Battle of Zinjibar, 50-86 during the Ta'izz clashes, 2 in a militant attack in Loder (27 May), 5 in a tribal-Houthi clash (1 June), 9 in a militant attack in Abyan (5 June) 4 in a militant attack in al-Habilien (8 June), and 8 in a militant attack in Loder (11 June), 9 in militant attacks in Lahj (16-17 June), total of 956-1,158 reported killed during the street fighting
- ^ http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-assads-army-remains-defiant-as-it-buries-its-dead-2375963.html
- ^ http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-rt-us-syrial5e7kb0nc-20110911,0,5276141.story
- ^ http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2011/Sep-16/148923-syrian-forces-kill-six-villagers-near-hama-activists.ashx#axzz1cFlfrpX0
- ^ http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/07/us-syria-idUSTRE7A62Z520111107
- ^ "MacArthur - Google Books". Books.google.com. http://books.google.com/books?id=isEXyqHjEDEC&pg=PA150&dq=south+korea+insurgency+1948&hl=en&ei=ip8PTc6KDsSqlAewruCfDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCYQ6AEwATgK#. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ verify source
- ^ Armed Conflicts Report: Israel-Palestine (1948 - first combat deaths), January 2010
- ^ "War Profile Iraq/US" (PDF). http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/dpe/modern_conflicts/death_tolls.pdf. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ This is disputed as some roots of the conflict originate back in the early 1900's
- ^ Guide to the Philippines conflict BBC
- ^ "The Mindanao Conflict in the Philippines: Roots, Costs, and Potential Peace Dividend" (PDF). http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTCPR/214578-1111996036679/20482477/WP24_Web.pdf. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ "Turkish jets attack PKK militants". http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=132402§ionid=351020204.
- ^ Los Angeles Times TURKEY: Kurdish teenager convicted as terrorist for attending demonstration
- ^ "Humanitarian Law Project v. U.S. Dept. of Justice" (PDF). http://fl1.findlaw.com/news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/terrorism/hlpdoj120303opn.pdf. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ "Turkey, US, and the PKK". Kurdishaspect.com. http://www.kurdishaspect.com/doc122107AD.html. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ http://www.guinguinbali.com/index.php?lang=en&mod=news&task=view_news&cat=3&id=1392
- ^ Associated Press[dead link]
- ^ http://igcsforum.org/showthread.php?t=1729
- ^ "Armed Conflicts Report - Nigeria". Ploughshares.ca. http://www.ploughshares.ca/libraries/ACRText/ACR-Nigeria.html. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- ^ "Scores killed in Sudan tribal clash". http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2010/01/20101712175653198.html.
- ^ 
- ^ 
- PeaceReporter coverage of ongoing wars
- Global Security coverage of ongoing wars
- BIPPI coverage of ongoing wars
- History Guy's coverage of 21st century wars
- Heidelberg Institute for International Conflict Research (HIIK)
- Conflict Barometer - Describes recent trends in conflict development, escalations, and settlements
- Insight on Conflict - Database on peace-building initiatives in areas of conflict
- Crisis Group conflict analysis
- Iraqi Death Total Over 600,000
- UCDP database - Database on armed conflicts from 1975 including death estimates, conflict actors, negotiations and peace agreements
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of ongoing conflicts — This is a list of ongoing conflicts that are happening around the world, which continue to result in violent deaths. This list is for the sole purpose of identifying present day conflicts and the death toll associated with each conflict. Fatality … Wikipedia
List of coalition military operations of the Iraq War — Operation Aloha redirects here. For the band, see Operation Aloha (band). Nordlicht redirects here. For the Kriegsmarine ship, see SS Nordlicht. Operation Falcon Freedom redirects here. For the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973… … Wikipedia
List of Canadian military operations — Since 1947, the Canadian Forces have completed 72 international missions. More than 3,600 soldiers, sailors and Air Force personnel are deployed overseas on operational missions. On any given day, about 8,000 Canadian Forces members (one third of … Wikipedia
List of civil wars — Warfare Military history Eras Prehistoric Ancient Medieval Gunpowder Industrial … Wikipedia
Military history of Canada — This article is part of a series Conflicts … Wikipedia
List of wars and anthropogenic disasters by death toll — See also: List of wars, List of battles and other violent events by death toll, and List of natural disasters by death toll This is a list of wars and anthropogenic disasters by death toll. It covers the lowest estimate of death as well as… … Wikipedia
List of conflicts in Asia — This is a list of wars and conflicts in Asia, particularly East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia and Russia. For a list of conflicts in Central Asia and Southwest Asia, see List of conflicts in the Middle East .China =Ancient period= *Battle of… … Wikipedia
List of wars — This is a listing of lists of wars, sorted by country, date, region, and type of conflict.: This list is incomplete and, quite possibly, will never be completed. Wars by country: See: , (lists)Wars by date: See also: *List of wars before 1000… … Wikipedia
List of conflicts in the Arab League — This is a list of post colonial military conflicts within the Arab League region.Arab Israeli conflict*1948 Arab Israeli War *1956 Suez War *1967 Six Day War *1970 War of Attrition *1973 Yom Kippur War *1982 Lebanon War *1987 1993 First Intifada… … Wikipedia
List of wars involving Mexico — Mexico has been involved in numerous different military conflicts over the years, with most being civil/internal wars. The following is a list of wars involving Mexico: Mexican troops operating in the Mexican Drug War. Pre Columbian/Indigenous… … Wikipedia