infobox UK place
population= 39,994 (2001 Census) [ [http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspublications.nsf/591f7dda55aad72a80256c670041a50d/1c602ea59c869c9180256e600054b26c/$FILE/Town%20populations.pdf Surrey County Council census data] ]
Epsom and Ewell
region= South East England
constituency_westminster= Epsom and Ewell
postcode_district= KT17, KT19
Ewell is a village in the borough of Epsom and Ewell in
Surrey, close to the southern boundary of Greater London. It is located 14 miles (22.5 km) south-south-west of Charing Crossand forms part of the suburbia that surrounds Greater London. Despite its growing population it is still referred to as a village by locals and largely maintains a rural character. Ewell is at the head of the Hogsmillriver, a tributaryof the River Thames, and the spring has likely been considered sacred dating back into pre-history.
Neighbouring towns and villages include
Cheam, Chessington, Epsom, Stoneleigh and Tolworth.
The name "Ewell" derives from
Old English"æwell", which means "river source" or spring. The old Roman road Stane Streetdeviates from a straight line slightly at Ewell in order to pass by the spring. Ewell is one of a number of settlements founded along the geological line between the chalk of the North Downsto the south, and the clay of the London Basinto the north. The A24 London Road runs from Merton to Ewell along the course of the Roman road, and Stane Street leaves Ewell connecting it towards Leatherhead and Dorking to the south-west. Bronze Ageremains have also been found in Ewell and the Romans are likely to have encountered an existing religious site when they first arrived.
Ewell lay within the Copthorne hundred, an administrative division devised by the
Ewell appears in
Domesday Bookof 1086 as "Etwelle". It was held by William the Conqueror. Its domesday assets were: 13½ hides; 2 mills worth 10s, 16 ploughs, 14 acres of meadow, woodlandand herbage worth 111 hogs. It rendered £25; also £1 from the church in Leatherhead, which was held by Osbert de Ow and was attached to his manor. [ [http://www.gwp.enta.net/surrnames.htm Surrey Domesday Book] ]
King Henry VIII established the 1538
Nonsuch Palace, considered one of his greatest building projects, to the north-east of the village. The estate, which remains a public park, was one of his favourite hunting grounds, although no trace of the palace remains having been destroyed during the 17th century.
Tunnels dating from the
English Civil Warexist underneath Ewell but are poorly documented and inaccessible to the public. One such secret passage is reported to emerge under the shop on the corner of West Street and High Street.
In the 1980s, an elderly lifelong resident of Ewell (Digance) recalled the pasture land and orchards that stretched north and west right across to Berrylands (located between Tolworth and Surbiton). This radical transformation is documented in the photography collected in the book "Archive Photos - Epsom and Ewell". [Richard Essen, "The Archive Photographs Series: Epsom and Ewell" (Stroud: The Chalford Press, 1994)] The suburban residential development now present across that area is comprised almost exclusively of 1930s/40s semi-detached houses, and the Hogsmill Open Space is the last remaining indication of Ewell's very rural pre-war history.
In August 2005 the borough of
Epsom and Ewellwas rated the most desirable place to live in the United Kingdom by the British television programme "The Best and Worst Place to Live in the UK", although in 2006 it dropped to 8th place. The borough's low crime rate, good education results and large number of open spaces were all cited as especially attractive features, although it lost marks due to a 'lack of entertainment facilities'.
One of Ewell's most notable landmarks is the architecturally impressive Bourne Hall, situated in the centre of the village. Originally the site of Garbrand Hall, a large country mansion, Bourne Hall is now a
modernistcircular structure with a central glass dome, and is surrounded by an attractive public park. The building, which is reminiscent of an immense flying saucer, hosts a public library, subterranean theatre, gymnasium, cafe, and local museum. It regularly holds gatherings such as fayres, Yogaand Karatelessons.
Ewell has a Parish Church (
Saint Mary the Virgin, Ewell), which was designed by Henry Cluttonand consecrated in 1848. It is home to the 1889 'Father' Henry Willis pipe organ. Around the village there are a number of schools, including [http://www.ewell-grove.surrey.sch.uk Ewell Grove Infant and Nursery School] , [http://www.glyn.surrey.sch.uk Glyn Technology School] and [http://www.ewellcastle.surrey.sch.uk Ewell Castle School] (a past pupil was Oliver Reed), as well as the North-East Surrey College of Technology.
Ewell has an unusually large telephone exchange, next door to the Spring pub, which was fitted with underground facilities designed to survive a nuclear conflict during the late years of the
Unlike most parts of Epsom, Ewell has
Greater Londontelephone numbers (i.e. falling into the 020 8XXX XXXX number series), an anomaly shared with Chigwelland Loughtonin Essex. It was transferred in 2000 from the Metropolitan Police, in whose district it had been placed since 1839, to the jurisdiction of Surrey Police.
ports and Recreation
Ewell is also home to Ewell St. Mary's Morris Men. Founded in 1979, further to a bequest from the then Vicar, Peter Hogben, for the annual Village Fete - the Team danced into The Morris Ring in the late eighties and now have many unique dances in their repertoire. They dance Cotswold Morris and sport black top hats, red and white baldricks and ribbons.
[http://www.ewelltennis.co.uk Ewell Tennis Club] is located in the village, catering for tennis players of all standards.
Ewell lies on the walking trail noted below:
Petula Clarkwas born here, despite frequent reports that she was born in Epsom. Pre-Raphaeliteartist William Holman Huntmarried and produced several of his famous works here, with the doorway linking St Mary's church yard and the grounds of Glyn House being reproduced as the door on which Christ is knocking in Hunt's famous painting, " The Light of the World". Chelsea footballer Ron "Chopper" Harris lived in Ewell during the 1970s, in The Headway. Children's television and wildlife show presenter Michaela Strachanwas born in Ewell in 1966.
* [http://www.eleflat.co.uk/Ewell-76_KT17-2007-council-tax.htm Ewell council tax bands and charges]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ewell — ist der Name mehrerer Personen: Barney Ewell (1918–1996), US amerikanischer Leichtathlet und Olympiasieger Don Ewell (1916–1983), US amerikanischer Stride Pianist und Bandleader des Dixieland Jazz Kayla Ewell (* 1985), US amerikanische… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ewell — [yo͞o′əl] Richard Stoddert [städ′ərt] 1817 72; Confederate general in the Civil War … English World dictionary
Ewell — This most interesting and unusual name is of English locational origin from any of the following placenames: Ewell , a town in Surrey; Ewell (Temple Ewell) a parish and village near Dover in Kent; Ewell Manor in Kent and Ewell Minnis a locality… … Surnames reference
Ewell — 51° 21′ 01″ N 0° 14′ 55″ W / 51.3502, 0.2486 Ewell est un village du borough d … Wikipédia en Français
Ewell — Original name in latin Ewell Name in other language State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 51.34948 latitude 0.2494 altitude 38 Population 39994 Date 2011 03 03 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Ewell — biographical name Richard Stoddert 1817 1872 American Confederate general … New Collegiate Dictionary
Ewell — /yooh el/, n. 1. Richard Stoddert /stod euhrt/, 1817 72, Confederate lieutenant general in the U.S. Civil War. 2. a male given name. * * * … Universalium
Ewell — Ew•ell [[t]ˈyu əl[/t]] n. big Richard Stoddert, 1817–72, Confederate lieutenant general in the U.S. Civil War … From formal English to slang
Ewell — /yooh el/, n. 1. Richard Stoddert /stod euhrt/, 1817 72, Confederate lieutenant general in the U.S. Civil War. 2. a male given name … Useful english dictionary
Ewell Ross McCright — Ewell Ross McCright, (4 December 1917 24 April 1990) of Benton, Saline County, Arkansas was a captain in the United States Air Force during World War II who was famous for maintaining secret journals detailing information about fellow prisoners… … Wikipedia