- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, (or CAAHEP), is an agency of accreditation for the accredits postsecondary education programs in 19 different allied health and related fields.
Programmatic accreditation is granted after an education program is reviewed and it is determined that the program is in compliance with the profession’s accreditation Standards. A not-for-profit organization, CAAHEP is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
Members and leadership
- CAAHEP's members are organizations that represent the professions accredited by CAAHEP and/or the institutions that teach CAAHEP accredited programs.
- CAAHEP’s leadership is composed of both a Commission and a Board of Directors.
The individuals who serve as Commissioners are representatives from CAAHEP’s sponsoring organizations, along with a recent graduate of a CAAHEP accredited program and members of the general public. The Commissioners approve the organization’s mission, vision, and bylaws, and decide which health science professions qualify to take part in the CAAHEP accreditation system. CAAHEP is also led by a Board of Directors, whose members are elected from among the Commissioners.When an education program in a health science profession seeks CAAHEP accreditation, the program will work with that profession’s Committee on Accreditation (CoA) .
In 1904, the American Medical Association established its Council on Medical Education (CME). The CME developed a rating system of medical schools in 1905, initiated inspections in 1906, and classified the institutions in 1907. The AMA then collaborated with the Carnegie Foundation to conduct a study of the quality of medical education that resulted in the Flexner Report in 1910. These early efforts subsequently led to the development of specialized accreditation for the education of health professionals. It was also the precursor of accreditation activities for most other professional associations.
Early in the 1930s, several national bodies requested the collaboration of the AMA in establishing accreditation for education programs in their areas of interest. These early efforts established a basis and pattern for the role of the AMA in collaborating with other national associations for the accreditation of health sciences education programs. From 1935 through 1976, the recognized agency was the AMA Council on Medical Education. In 1976 the CME delegated to the newly formed Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation (CAHEA) the responsibility and authority for health sciences education accreditation. In October, 1992 the AMA announced its intent to support the establishment of a new and independent agency to assume the accreditation responsibilities of CAHEA
Programs Accredited by CAAHEP
CAAHEP accredits over 2,200 programs in 20 health science disciplines. The programs reside in more than 1,000 postsecondary educational institutions across the United States and Canada.
- by CAAHEP the professions are
- Anesthesia Technician/Technologist
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Cardiovascular Technologist
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- Electroneurodiagnostic Technologist
- Emergency Medical Services Personnel
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Science
- Lactation Consultant
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Illustrator
- Orthotist and Prosthetist
- Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician
- Personal Fitness Trainer
- Polysomnographic Technologist
- Specialist in Blood Banking Technology
- Surgical Assistant
- Surgical Technologist
- Allied Health Professions
- Educational Accreditation
- List of Recognized Accreditation Associations of Higher Learning
- ^ The profession's accreditation Standards designate what an entry-level health care employee in a particular field needs to know in order to be successful in that field
- ^ CAAHEP Commissioners and Board of Directors
- ^ It is the CoA that leads the program through accreditation process, reviewing the self-study, organizing the site visit of the program, and formulating the accreditation recommendation of the program for approval by the CAAHEP Board of Directors
- ^ That new agency, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) was incorporated in May, 1994
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care — Type non profit organization Industry Medicine … Wikipedia
education — /ej oo kay sheuhn/, n. 1. the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. 2. the act or process of… … Universalium
List of recognized accreditation associations of higher learning — Accreditation is a certification of the academic quality of an institution of higher learning. Some countries have independent/private organizations that oversee the educational accreditation process, while other countries accredit through a… … Wikipedia
Master of Health Administration — The Master of Health Administration (or Master of Healthcare Administration) is a master s level professional degree granted to students who complete a course of study in the knowledge and competencies needed for careers in health administration … Wikipedia
Medical Representatives Certification Commission — Founded 2009 Headquarters Roanoke, Virginia, U.S. Website … Wikipedia
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences — Collegiate Seal Established December 8, 1823 Type Private Non profit organization Endowment … Wikipedia
Engineering education — is the activity of teaching knowledge and principles related to the professional practice of engineering. It includes the initial education for becoming an engineer and any advanced education and specialization that follow. Engineering education… … Wikipedia
University of Tennessee Health Science Center — The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) in Memphis includes the Colleges of Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy. Its pediatric residency program is affiliated with Le… … Wikipedia
CAAHEP — Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs … Medical dictionary
CAAHEP — • Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs … Dictionary of medical acronyms & abbreviations