List of duo and trio cocktails
This family of drinks is named in Gary Regan's The Joy of Mixology. There is much variation in their ingredients, but their defining feature is that they are sweet due to their liqueur content.
- B and B
- Cognac and Bénédictine
- Black Russian
- Vodka and Kahlúa (coffee liqueur) (IBA Official Cocktail)
- Black Nail
- Irish whisky and Irish Mist
- Brave Bull
- Tequila and Kahlúa
- Death in the Afternoon
- Absinthe and a small amount of Champagne
- Dirty Mother
- Brandy and Kahlúa
- Dubonnet Cocktail
- Gin and red Dubonnet
- Gin and Rose's Lime (optional sweet & sour)
- Amaretto and scotch
- Amaretto and vodka
- Green Hornet
- Brandy and green crème de menthe
- French Connection
- Amaretto and Cognac
- Royal Widow
- Crown Royal (Canadian whiskey) and amaretto
- Rusty Nail
- Scotch and Drambuie (IBA Official Cocktail)
- Brandy and white crème de menthe
- Vodka Gimlet
- Vodka and Rose's Lime (optional sweet & sour)
- Vodka Stinger
- Vodka and white crème de menthe
- Widow's Cork
- Jameson Whiskey and amaretto
B and B
B and B Type Cocktail Served With or without ice Standard drinkware Snifter Commonly used ingredients Preparation Combine and stir.
A "B and B" is made from equal parts of cognac (brandy) and Bénédictine. It is typically served on the rocks, but may also be served straight. The producers of Bénédictine market this cocktail ready-mixed under the label "B & B."
Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes mentions "B & B and a little weed" in "Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye."
Brave Bull Type Cocktail Primary alcohol by volume Served On the rocks; poured over ice Standard drinkware Commonly used ingredients
- 1½ oz. tequila
- 1/2 oz. Kahlúa
Preparation Fill rocks glass with ice. Pour 1½ oz tequila and 1/2 oz Kahlúa. Serve.
A Brave Bull is made by mixing tequila and Kahlúa.
Dirty Mother Type Cocktail Primary alcohol by volume Served On the rocks; poured over ice Standard drinkware Commonly used ingredients
- 1½ oz. brandy
- 1/2 oz. Kahlúa
Preparation Fill rocks glass with ice. Pour 1½ oz brandy and 1/2 oz Kahlúa. Serve.
A Dirty Mother is made by mixing brandy and Kahlúa.
Rusty Nail IBA Official Cocktail Type Cocktail Primary alcohol by volume Served On the rocks; poured over ice Standard drinkware "old-fashioned" glass, stemmed glass "martini-style" IBA specified ingredients*
- 4.5 cl (9 parts) Scotch whisky
- 2.5 cl (5 parts) Drambuie
Preparation First fill a 16 oz glass with crushed ice until it is overflowing. Pour in 5 parts drambuie and 9 parts scotch. Stir gently, as to not bruise the ice. Keep stirring until a thick frost develops on the side of the glass. Garnish with a lemon twist. Serve.
A Rusty Nail is made by mixing Drambuie and Scotch. Many prefer less Drambuie to decrease the sweetness of the drink. Scotch has a fairly biting and hot taste that is counterbalanced by the honeyed, herbal overtones of the Drambuie. A Rusty Nail can be served in an old-fashioned glass on the rocks, neat, or "up" in a stemmed glass. It is most commonly served over ice. A Rusty Nail served without ice is sometimes called a Straight Up Nail. The Canadian version of the drink is called a "Donald Sutherland" and substitutes rye whiskey for Scotch.
- ABC Cocktail
- Amaretto, Baileys Irish Cream, and Cognac
- equal parts gin, crème de cacao, and half and half, mixed in a cocktail shaker with ice, and poured into a cocktail glass. Sometimes topped with grated nutmeg or cinnamon. The Alexander is the ancestor of the Brandy Alexander.
- Appletini or Apple Martini
- vodka, apple liqueur, and Cointreau (IBA Official Cocktail)
- Bloody Aztec
- tequila, cream, crème de cacao, and red food coloring
- Brandy Alexander
- Brandy, dark crème de cacao, and cream or half-and-half
- Chocolate Martini
- Vodka, chocolate liqueur, and cream or half-and-half
- Cognac Alexander
- Cognac, dark crème de cacao, and cream or half-and-half
- Colorado Bulldog (aka .357)
- Vodka, Kahlúa, cream, and a splash of Coca-Cola, optionally garnished with hazelnuts
- Dirty White Mother
- brandy, Kahlúa, and cream
- Godchild or Goddaughter
- Amaretto, vodka and cream or half-and-half
- Irish Flag
- green crème de menthe, Baileys Irish cream, and whiskey, layered in a shot glass
- vodka, Kahlúa, Irish cream, and cream
- Cognac, white crème de cacao, and cream; garnish with nutmeg if desired. The drink was popular during the early 20th century. It is sometimes confused with the "Brandy Alexander", which is made with dark instead of white crème de cacao.
- White Russian
- Vodka, Kahlúa, and cream (IBA Official Cocktail)
- ^ "The Black Nail". about.com. http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiskeyrecipes/r/black_nail.htm. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Duo and trio cocktails — Duos and Trios is a family of mixed drinks. A duo contains a base spirit and a liqueur, while a trio additionally contains a creamy ingredient. This family of drinks is named in Gary Regan s The Joy of Mixology . While there is tremendous… … Wikipedia
List of cocktails — Contents 1 Cocktails with absinthe 2 Cocktails with beer 3 Cocktails with brandy or cognac … Wikipedia
Achewood — Author(s) Chris Onstad Website http://www.achewood.com Current status / schedule Indef … Wikipedia