Searching for a Former Clarity
Searching for a Former Clarity Studio album by Against Me! Released September 6, 2005 Recorded April 18–May 16, 2005 at The Magpie Cage in Baltimore Genre Punk rock, alternative rock Length 47:00 Label Fat Wreck Chords Producer J. Robbins Against Me! chronology Against Me! as the Eternal Cowboy
Searching for a Former Clarity
Americans Abroad!!! Against Me!!! Live in London!!!
Singles from Searching for a Former Clarity
- "Don't Lose Touch"
Released: September 6, 2005
- "From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)"
Released: April 4, 2006
Searching for a Former Clarity is the third album by the Gainesville, Florida punk rock band Against Me!, produced by J. Robbins and released on September 6, 2005 by Fat Wreck Chords. Supported by singles and music videos for the songs "Don't Lose Touch" and "From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)", it was their first album to chart on the Billboard 200, reaching #114. It also reached #9 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart. Frontman Tom Gabel has described Searching for a Former Clarity as a concept album.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Punknews.org  Rolling Stone 
Reaction to Searching for a Former Clarity was generally positive, with critics praising Tom Gabel's lyrics and the band's effective combination of different musical elements. Corey Apar of Allmusic gave the album four and a half stars out of five, calling it the band's "most introspective album to date. In both subject matter and song composition, they expand upon elements of previous releases without being afraid to veer away from expectations". Though describing the tone of the album as "more sober and resentful" in comparison to their previous efforts, he remarked that "the passion, energy, and urgency Against Me! is known for is no less present. Instead, Searching for a Former Clarity is a more developed effort that is not only one of the best punk releases of 2005, but further establishes the band's growing importance within the punk scene."
Aubin Paul of Punknews.org also praised the album, giving it four out of five stars and stating that "Unlike the simple shout-along melodies that adorned previous albums, ...Clarity demands repeated listens far more than any previous album." He praised the band's ability to effectively combine punk rock, country, and folk music, noting that "with Clarity it seems the band has finally managed to fuse these elements seamlessly in a single track." He noted that the lyrics were more personal and "painfully confessional" than on the band's previous efforts, and that the political motifs were more individualistic, focusing on "the effects of politics on real people." He summarized the album as "ambitious, fully realized and truly special. It's also a conflicted record; it's filled with internal ruminations, raw emotions and a distancing wall of sound, but it is nevertheless their most thoughtful and accomplished piece of songwriting and a record that grows more rewarding with each listen."
One criticism which Apar and Paul shared was that both found the chorus of "Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners" to be "somewhat annoying", though Paul noted that the song had "a great opening and confessional lyrics". Christian Hoard of Rolling Stone was more critical of the album, giving it three out of five stars and describing it as "a bizarro combination of Who's Next, an angry oi-punk record and some dude's blog." He complimented Tom Gabel's lyrics as "both wordier and funnier than most rant-based punk" but also said that "over fourteen cuts, [his] Roger Daltrey bellow can grow wearisome". He did, however, praise "Holy Shit!" as "a detailed critique of a stagnating rock scene" and said that "How Low", a slower song in which Gabel describes his attempts to give up drugs, "prov[es] that you can't get this deep into other people's shit without getting a little on yourself."
All lyrics written by Tom Gabel, all music composed by Gabel, James Bowman, Andrew Seward, and Warren Oakes.
No. Title Length 1. "Miami" 4:00 2. "Mediocrity Gets You Pears (The Shaker)" 2:38 3. "Justin" 3:57 4. "Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners" 4:08 5. "From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)" 2:35 6. "Violence" 5:34 7. "Pretty Girls (The Mover)" 2:45 8. "How Low" 4:27 9. "Joy" 2:12 10. "Holy Shit!" 2:53 11. "Even at Our Worst We're Still Better Than Most (The Roller)" 2:53 12. "Problems" 2:40 13. "Don't Lose Touch" 2:55 14. "Searching for a Former Clarity" 3:25Total length: 47:00
Total Clarity Demo album by Against Me! Released May 24, 2011 Recorded 2004–2005, Goldentone Studios, Gainesville, Florida Genre Punk rock Label Fat Wreck Chords Producer J. Robbins Against Me! chronology White Crosses
Against Me! released Total Clarity, a collection of demos and unreleased songs from the Searching for a Former Clarity recording sessions, through Fat Wreck Chords on May 24, 2011. Fat Wreck Chords previously released The Original Cowboy, an album of demos from the band's 2003 album Against Me! as the Eternal Cowboy, in 2009.
All lyrics written by Tom Gabel except where noted, all music composed by Gabel, James Bowman, Andrew Seward, and Warren Oakes, except where noted.
No. Title Length 1. "Miami" 3:37 2. "The Shaker" 3:05 3. "Justin" 3:15 4. "Exhaustion and Disgust" 2:49 5. "Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners" 4:01 6. "The Energizer" 2:14 7. "Violence" 4:48 8. "The Mover" 2:35 9. "How Low" 3:16 10. "Joy" 1:39 11. "Holy Shit" 2:11 12. "Lost and Searching in America" 2:38 13. "Problems" 2:28 14. "Money Changes Everything" (written by Tom Gray; originally performed by The Brains) 3:48 15. "Total Clarity" 3:25Total length: 45:44
- Tom Gabel – guitar, lead vocals
- James Bowman – guitar, backing vocals
- Andrew Seward – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Warren Oakes – drums
- Chris Pumphrey – alto saxophone on "Miami"
- Rose Hammer – baritone saxophone on "Miami"
- Geof Manthonre – trumpet on "Miami"
- J. Robbins – tambourine on "Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners" and "Don't Lose Touch"
- Dave Chamberland, Mathieu Guilbault, and Olivier Maguire – backing vocals on "Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners"
- Genevieve Tremblay – backing vocals on "Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners" and "How Low"
- J. Robbins – producer, engineer, mixing engineer
- Alan Douches – mastering
- Json Munn – design
- Paul Schiek – photography
Billboard 200 114 Top Independent Albums 9
- ^ Dworken, Arye (2010-07-20). [=http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010/07/20/the-self-titled-interview-against-me "The Self-Titled Interview: Against Me!"]. Self-Titled Daily. =http://www.self-titledmag.com/home/2010/07/20/the-self-titled-interview-against-me. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- ^ a b c d Apar, Corey. "Review: Searching for a Former Clarity". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r790936. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- ^ a b c d e Paul, Aubin (2005-09-06). "Review: Against Me! - Searching for a Former Clarity". Punknews.org. http://www.punknews.org/review/4352. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- ^ a b c d Hoard, Christian (2005-10-20). "Review: Against Me! - Searching for a Former Clarity". Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/7600632/review/7685153?utm_source=Rhapsody&utm_medium=CDreview. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110520/SCENE04/305180170/Against-Me-s-Gabel-still-feeling-punk-Band-scheduled-play-Krazy-Fest?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7Cs
- ^ Gabel, Tom (2011-02-12). "Total Clarity". Blogspot. http://ifeelsicktomystomach.blogspot.com/2011/02/total-clarity.html. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "Against Me! to release The Original Cowboy on Fat this summer". Punknews.org. 2009-04-23. http://www.punknews.org/article/33222. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- ^ (2011) Album notes for Total Clarity by Against Me! [CD booklet]. San Francisco, California: Fat Wreck Chords (FAT 744-2).
- ^ (2005) Album notes for Searching for a Former Clarity by Against Me! [CD]. San Francisco: Fat Wreck Chords (684-2).
- ^ "Against Me! Album & Song Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard charts. http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/against-me/chart-history/558350. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- ^ Harris, Chris (2005-09-14). "50 Cent's Beefed-Up Massacre Can't Top Kanye's Latest". MTV.com. MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1509488/20050914/west_kanye.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- ^ "Against Me! Album & Song Chart History: Top Independent Albums". Billboard charts. http://www.billboard.com/#/artist/against-me/chart-history/558350?f=326&g=Albums. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
Against Me!Tom Gabel · James Bowman · Andrew Seward · Jay Weinberg
Kevin Mahon · Dustin Fridkin · Warren Oakes · George Rebelo
Studio albums Live album EPs Demo albums Singles"The Disco Before the Breakdown" · "Cavalier Eternal" · "Sink, Florida, Sink" · "Don't Lose Touch" · "From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)" · "White People for Peace" · "Thrash Unreal" · "Stop!" · "New Wave" · "I Was a Teenage Anarchist" · "White Crosses" · "High Pressure Low" · "Russian Spies / Occult Enemies" Related articles
- "Don't Lose Touch"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Against Me! — Infobox musical artist Name = Against Me! Img capt = Against Me! playing at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in 2007. Landscape = Yes Background = group or band Origin = Gainesville, Florida, United States Genre = Folk punk Punk rock… … Wikipedia
Don't Lose Touch — Single by Against Me! from the album Searching for a Former Clarity … Wikipedia
Against Me! — tocando en Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 2007. Datos generales Origen G … Wikipedia Español
One Tree Hill (season 6) — One Tree Hill: Season 6 One Tree Hill Season 6 DVD Cover Country of origin … Wikipedia
Against Me! as the Eternal Cowboy — Studio album by Against Me! … Wikipedia
Brooke Davis — Sophia Bush as Brooke Davis One Tree Hill Portrayed by Sophia Bush First appear … Wikipedia
Against Me! — на сцене фестиваля Coachella, 2007 Основная информация Жанр … Википедия
Against Me! — Tom Gabel d Against Me! à l Impérial de Québec, Québec en 2008 … Wikipédia en Français
Americans Abroad!!! Against Me!!! Live in London!!! — Infobox Album | Name =Americans Abroad! Against Me! Live in London! Type = Live Album Artist = Against Me! Released = August 22 2006 Recorded = March 21, 2006 at Mean Fiddler, London, England Genre = Punk rock, folk rock Length = 52:29 Label =… … Wikipedia
Against me! — im Jahre 2007 auf dem Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, Kalifornien. Gründung 1997 … Deutsch Wikipedia