Cold Case (TV series)
Format Police procedural
Created by Meredith Stiehm Starring Kathryn Morris
Theme music composer Helmut and Franz Vonlichten with intro by Michael A. Levine Opening theme Nara Composer(s) Michael A. Levine Country of origin United States Language(s) English No. of seasons 7 No. of episodes 156 (List of episodes) Production Producer(s) Jerry Bruckheimer Location(s) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Running time 45 minutes Production company(s) Jerry Bruckheimer Television
CBS Television Studios
Warner Bros. Television
Broadcast Original channel CBS Picture format 480i (SDTV),
Original run September 28, 2003– May 2, 2010 External links Website
Cold Case is an American police procedural television series which ran on CBS from September 28, 2003 to May 2, 2010. The series revolved around a fictionalized Philadelphia Police Department division that specializes in investigating cold cases. On May 18, 2010, CBS announced that the series had been canceled. The series currently airs in syndication on TNT in the U.S. and on Viva in Canada. Sleuth channel occasionally airs it at midnight on the weekdays. Besides Miami Medical, it is the only Bruckheimer-produced series that has yet to see a DVD release of any season.
The theme song is an excerpt from "Nara" by E.S. Posthumus (who also perform the theme for the NFL on CBS), with an introduction by series composer Michael A. Levine that begins with an otherworldly wail from vocalist Elise Morris. Besides Levine's original music, each episode makes extensive use of era-appropriate music for flashbacks to the year in question. Some episodes contain music only from one artist such as Ray Charles, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, The Doors, John Mellencamp, Johnny Cash, Bob Seger, Pink Floyd, Tim McGraw, Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra and John Lennon. Pearl Jam's music was used in the two part season six finale, the first time one artist's music has been used for two full episodes. In one episode, the music from the movie The Rocky Horror Picture Show ("Creatures of the Night" starring Barry Bostwick) and in another episode ("Wilkommen") only music from Cabaret was used. In the series finale, music from The Rolling Stones was used, and for the first time, it featured an unreleased song.
A soundtrack CD was released in 2008 by Lakeshore Records, featuring incidental music composed by Michael A. Levine from the first four seasons, as well as the song 300 Flowers, sung by Robbyn Kirmsse.
Licensing the music for Cold Case has been cited as a reason why this series has never been released on DVD.
Original Songs of the series:
- "Best Friends" - Episode: "Best Friends"
- "300 Flowers" - Episode: "Beautiful Little Fool"
- "Scarlet Rose" (composed by Gary Haase) - Episode: "Static"
- "Va Pensiero" (Sung by Elena Satine) - Episode: "Triple Threat"
- "Goin' Off" (Written by Jeff Lucky and performed by Danièle Watts) - Episode: "Read Between The Lines"
- "Read Between The Lines" (Written by Jeff Lucky and performed by Danièle Watts) - Episode: "Read Between The Lines"
Name Portrayed by Occupation Seasons 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Det. Lillian "Lilly" Rush Kathryn Morris Homicide Detective Supervisor Main Lt. John Stillman John Finn Homicide Detective Chief Main Det. Scotty Vallens Danny Pino Homicide Detective Main Det. Nick Vera Jeremy Ratchford Homicide Detective Main Det. Will Jeffries Thom Barry Homicide Detective Main Det. Kat Miller Tracie Thoms Homicide Detective Main Curtis Bell Jonathan LaPaglia Assistant District Attorney Main Frankie Rafferty Tania Raymonde Identification Unit Technician Main Alexandra Thomas Bonnie Root Assistant District Attorney Main Recurring Det. Josie Sutton Sarah Brown Homicide Detective Main Jason Kite Josh Hopkins Assistant District Attorney Main Guest Det. Chris Lassing Justin Chambers Homicide Detective Main Dr. Frannie Ching Susan Chuang Medical Examiner Guest Main Recurring
CSI: NY crossover
On May 2, 2007, one of the Cold Case detectives made a rare appearance outside of the series. In the CSI: NY episode "Cold Reveal", Danny Pino appeared as his Cold Case character Scotty Valens as he traveled to New York when it was discovered that CSI Stella Bonasera (Melina Kanakaredes) was connected to an unsolved case, proving that Cold Case and CSI take place in the same universe. The CSI shows and Cold Case all air on CBS and are produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. None of the characters from CSI, however, ever appeared on Cold Case.
In 2005, John Finn, Kathryn Morris and Jeremy Ratchford appeared in a satirical promo on the Irish language television station TG4. The commercial won a Gold Medal in the "Best Drama Promos" category of the 2007 Sharks International Advertising Awards Festival of Ireland (Sharks Awards). The promotion features John Finn and Kathryn Morris in character interrogating a murder suspect (Peader Cox) from the TG4 soap Ros na Rún who refuses to speak in English; both detectives then begin talking in Irish, much to the surprise of Jeremy Ratchford's character. The promo tied in with a murder investigation in Ros na Rún.
The investigation of "cold cases" has been used as the basis for several other detective dramas, including:
- The Enigma Files, UK / BBC, 1980
- Cold Squad, CAN / CTV Television Network, 1998
- Cold Case Files, A&E Network, 1999 (true cases)
- Waking the Dead, UK / BBC, 2000
- New Tricks, UK / BBC, 2003
- Zettai Reido, Japan / Fuji Television, 2010
Cold Squad controversy
Upon its launch, television critics noted similarities between Cold Case and a similar Canadian series called Cold Squad which debuted in 1998, five years before Cold Case. Fans of Cold Squad accused the American series of copying the basic premise and characters of the Canadian version. In 2003, the creators of Cold Squad considered launching legal action against the makers of Cold Case over copyright issues. Both shows air in Canada (and on the same network, CTV). The law firm headed by entertainment attorney Pierce O'Donnell, who successfully represented Art Buchwald in his copyright-infringement suit against Paramount and who has defended the James Bond franchise against copycats, has confirmed that it has agreed to represent[clarification needed] the producers of Cold Squad, who claim that the CBS series is a knock-off of their own hit show. The The Globe and Mail reported that Meredith Stehm, the creator of the American series, attended a seminar on TV writing at the Canadian Film Centre in 2002 where the concept of Cold Squad was explained to her. O'Donnell's law firm stated: "Our clients are very concerned about many striking similarities and have retained counsel to investigate the situation and if necessary, to take appropriate action."
Season Ep. # First Airdate Last Airdate Season 1 23 September 28, 2003 May 23, 2004 Season 2 23 October 3, 2004 May 22, 2005 Season 3 23 September 25, 2005 May 21, 2006 Season 4 24 September 24, 2006 May 6, 2007 Season 5 18 September 23, 2007 May 4, 2008 Season 6 23 September 28, 2008 May 10, 2009 Season 7 22 September 27, 2009 May 2, 2010
U.S. television ratings
Seasonal rankings (based on average total viewers per episode) of Cold Case on CBS.
- Note: Each U.S. network television season starts in late September and ends in late May, which coincides with the completion of May sweeps.
Season Timeslot Season premiere Season finale TV Season Ranking Viewers
1st Sunday 8:00 p.m. September 28, 2003 May 23, 2004 2003–2004 #17 14.18 2nd Sunday 8:00 p.m. October 3, 2004 May 22, 2005 2004–2005 #17 15.10 3rd Sunday 8:00 p.m. September 25, 2005 May 21, 2006 2005–2006 #21 14.24 4th Sunday 9:00 p.m. September 24, 2006 May 6, 2007 2006–2007 #23 13.98 5th Sunday 9:00 p.m. September 23, 2007 May 4, 2008 2007–2008 #34 10.89 6th Sunday 9:00 p.m. September 28, 2008 May 10, 2009 2008–2009 #23 12.00 7th Sunday 10:00 p.m. (September 27 – November 15)
Sunday 9:00 p.m. (November 22 – January 17)
Sunday 10:00 p.m. (February 14 – May 2)
September 27, 2009 May 2, 2010 2009–2010 #32 9.86
- In season 3 episode "A Perfect Day" Cold Case set a series rating record by attracting an audience of 19.36 million viewers.
Awards and Nominations
- ASCAP Award
- Top TV Series - (2004)
- Top TV Series - (2005)
- Top TV Series - (2006)
- Top TV Series - (2007)
- Top TV Series - (2008)
- Top TV Series - (2009)
- Outstanding Individual Episode (In a Series Without a Regular Gay Character) - For episode "Best Friends". (2006)
- Image Awards
- Outstanding Directing in a Dramatic Series - Paris Barclay (2006)
- Imagen Foundation Awards
- Best Actor, Television - Danny Pino (2010)
- ALMA Awards
- Outstanding Actor in a Drama Television Series - Danny Pino (2008)
- Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series - Corey Kaplan (production designer) (For episode "Factory Girls") (2005)
- Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series - Sandy Getzler (art director) (For episode "Factory Girls") (2005)
- Outstanding Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series - Timothy Stepeck (set decorator) (For episode "Factory Girls") (2005)
Broadcasters carrying the show include:
- Albania - Digi+
- Argentina - Warner Channel
- Australia - W
- Austria – ORF1
- Belgium – VTM/VIJF tv
- Brazil – SBT
- Bulgaria – Nova Television
- Canada – CTV
- Québec - Series+
- Chile – Warner Channel
- Colombia - Warner Channel
- Costa Rica - Warner Channel, Teletica
- Croatia – RTL Televizija
- Cuba - Telerebelde
- Cyprus - LTV
- Czech Republic - TV Nova
- Denmark - TV3 Puls
- Estonia - Kanal 2
- Finland - MTV3
- France - France2 - TF6
- Germany – ProSieben
- Greece – Star Channel
- Hungary - RTL Klub
- Iceland – Stöð 2
- India – Zee Café
- Ireland – TG4
- Israel – Yes Action
- Italy – Rai 2
- Japan - WOWOW
- Malaysia - STAR TV World
- Mexico - Warner Channel
- Netherlands – NET 5
- Norway - TVNorge
- Poland – TVN
- Portugal – RTP2
- Romania – PRO TV, PRO Cinema
- Russia – NTV
- Serbia – Prva Srpska Televizija
- Singapore – STAR World
- Slovakia – TV Markíza
- Slovenia – POP TV, TV3
- South Africa – M-Net
- Spain – Fox, Antena 3
- Sweden – Kanal 5
- Switzerland – SF zwei, TSR1
- Turkey – CNBC-e
- United Kingdom – Universal Channel
- ^ Hibberd, James (May 18, 2010). "CBS cancels seven shows, including "Ghost", "Case"". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/cbs-cancels-shows-including-ghost-53669.
- ^ James, Newton Howard (June 22, 2011). "CBS canceled shows including ghost, case". IGN. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368479/.
- ^ "Pearl Jam Turns "Ten" Buzz". March 19, 2009. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/pearl-jam-turns-ten-buzz-to-11-with-modern-1003953499.story. Retrieved April 11, 2009.
- ^ "Cold Case Soundtrack page at Lakeshore Records". November 11, 2009. http://www.lakeshore-records.com/coldcase/. Retrieved November 11, 2009.
- ^ http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/243683/will-cold-case-ever-make-it-to-dvd
- ^ "Corporate – Awards". TG4. http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/corp/grad/grad2.asp. Retrieved May 3, 2010.
- ^ "Cold Case meets Ros Na Rún". You Tube/TG4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_dJM-cwrM. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- ^ Bob Sassone (September 18, 2006). "The strange case of Cold Squad". TV Squad. http://www.tvsquad.com/tag/stephen%20mchattie/. Retrieved February 21, 2008.
- ^ Ian Edwards (November 10, 2003). "Cold Squad on Bruckheimer Case". Playback. http://www.playbackonline.ca/articles/magazine/20031110/colds.html. Retrieved February 21, 2008.
- ^ Dan Brown (December 4, 2003). "The genius of Ratchford". CBC News. http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_browndan/20031204.html. Retrieved February 21, 2008.
- ^ a b http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/cbs_entertainment/release?id=24809
- ^ "ABC Medianet". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on February 8, 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070208132303/http://www.abcmedianet.com/pressrel/dispDNR.html?id=060204_11. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ "Primetime series". Hollywoodreporter.com. May 27, 2005. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000937471. Retrieved April 5, 2010. [dead link]
- ^ "ABC Medianet". ABC Medianet. May 31, 2006. http://abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=053106_05. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ "ABC Medianet". ABC Medianet. June 5, 2007. http://abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=060507_05. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ "Season Program Rankings" (PDF). ABC Medianet. May 28, 2008. Archived from the original on June 24, 2008. http://web.archive.org/web/20080624195320/http://abcmedianet.com/DNR/2008/pdf/dnr052808.pdf. Retrieved June 2, 2008.
- ^ "ABC Medianet". ABC Medianet. May 27, 2009. http://www.abcmedianet.com/web/dnr/dispDNR.aspx?id=052709_07. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ "Full Series Rankings For The 2009–10 Broadcast Season". Deadline. May 27, 2010. http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/full-series-rankings-for-the-2009-10-broadcast-season/. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- Cold Case on CBS.com
- Warner Bros. Cold Case official site
- Cold Case at TV Guide
- Cold Case at the Internet Movie Database
- Cold Case at TV.com
- Cold Case on Wikia
Film and television media produced by Jerry Bruckheimer Films1970s1980s1990s2000sRemember the Titans (2000) · Coyote Ugly (2000) · Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) · Black Hawk Down (2001) · Pearl Harbor (2001) · Bad Company (2002) · Bad Boys II (2003) · Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) · Veronica Guerin (2003) · Kangaroo Jack (2003) · National Treasure (2004) · King Arthur (2004) · Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) · Déjà Vu (2006) · Glory Road (2006) · Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) · National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007) · G-Force (2009) · Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009)2010sPrince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) · The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) · Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) Television1990s2000sCSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000–present) · The Amazing Race (2001–present) · Without a Trace (2002–2009) · CSI: Miami (2002–present) · Skin (2003) · Cold Case (2003–2010) · Fearless (2004) (co-producer) · CSI: NY (2004–present) · Just Legal (2005–2006) · E-Ring (2005–2006) · Close to Home (2005–2007) · Justice (2006) · Modern Men (2006) · Eleventh Hour (2008–2009) · The Forgotten (2009–2010) · Dark Blue (2009–2010)2010s
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cold case (disambiguation) — Cold case may refer to: Cold case (criminology), a crime that has not been solved and is no longer being actively investigated Cold Case (TV series), an American 2000s police procedural drama Cold Case (Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye), an episode of Sue… … Wikipedia
Cold Case — Para otros usos de este término, véase Caso Cerrado. Cold Case Título Cold Case Caso cerrado (Hispanoamérica) Caso abierto (España). Género Drama, f … Wikipedia Español
Cold Case — Affaires classées Cold Case : Affaires classées Titre original Cold Case Autres titres francophones Victimes du passé Genre Série policière Créateur(s) Meredith Stiehm Production Jerry Bruckheimer Musique E.S. Posthumus Nara (générique), Mi … Wikipédia en Français
Cold Case : Affaires Classées — Cold Case : Affaires classées Titre original Cold Case Autres titres francophones Victimes du passé Genre Série policière Créateur(s) Meredith Stiehm Production Jerry Bruckheimer Musique E.S. Posthumus Nara (générique), Michael A. Levine… … Wikipédia en Français
Cold case - affaires classées — Cold Case : Affaires classées Cold Case : Affaires classées Titre original Cold Case Autres titres francophones Victimes du passé Genre Série policière Créateur(s) Meredith Stiehm Production Jerry Bruckheimer Musique E.S. Posthumus Nara… … Wikipédia en Français
Cold Case : Affaires classées — Cold Case : Affaires classées Titre original Cold Case Autres titres francophones Victimes du passé Genre Série policière Créateur(s) Meredith Stiehm Production Jerry Bruckheimer Musique E.S. Posthumus Nara (générique), Michael A. Levin … Wikipédia en Français
Cold Case (season 7) — Cold Case Season 7 Country of origin United States No. of episodes 22 Broadcast Original channel CBS … Wikipedia
Cold Case (season 1) — Cold Case Season 1 Country of origin United States No. of episodes 23 Broadcast Original channel CBS … Wikipedia
Cold Case (season 4) — Cold Case Season 4 Country of origin United States No. of episodes 24 Broadcast Original channel CBS … Wikipedia
Cold Case (season 2) — Cold Case Season 2 Country of origin United States No. of episodes 23 … Wikipedia