Coherent potential approximation
The coherent potential approximation (or CPA) is a method, in physics, of finding the Green's function of an effective medium. It is a useful concept in understanding how waves scatter in a material which displays spatial inhomogeneity.
One version of the CPA is an extension to random materials of the muffin-tin approximation used to calculate electronic band structure in solids. A variational implementation of the muffin-tin approximation to crystalline solids using Green's functions was suggested by Korringa and by Kohn and Rostocker, and is often referred to as the KKR method. For random materials, the theory is applied by the introduction of an ordered lattice of effective potentials to replace the varying potentials in the random material. This approach is called the KKR coherent potential approximation.
- ^ Joginder Singh Galsin (2001). Impurity Scattering in Metal Alloys. Springer. Appendix C. ISBN 0306465744. http://books.google.com/?id=kmcLT63iX_EC&pg=PA498&dq=KKR+method+band+structure.
- ^ Kuon Inoue and Kazuo Ohtaka (2004). Photonic Crystals. Springer. p. 66. ISBN 3540205594. http://books.google.com/?id=GIa3HRgPYhAC&pg=PA66&dq=KKR+method+band+structure.
- ^ Yukinobu Kumashiro (2000). Electric Refractory Materials. CRC Press. p. 122. ISBN 082470049X. http://books.google.com/?id=KV731MWsMCAC&pg=PA122&dq=KKR+%22coherent+potential+approximation%22.
- ^ Annemarie Meike, Antonios Gonis, Patrice E. Turchi and Krishna Rajan (2000). Properties of Complex Inorganic Solids 2. Springer. p. 213. ISBN 0306464985. http://books.google.com/?id=-4tgjQVtqgkC&pg=PA214&dq=KKR+%22coherent+potential+approximation%22.
- Ping Sheng (1995). Introduction to Wave Scattering, Localization, and Mesoscopic Phenomena. Academic Press. ISBN 0-12-639845-3.
- Fumiko Yonezawa and Kazuo Morigaki (1973). "Coherent Potential Approximation: Basic Concepts and Applications". Progress of Theoretical Physics Supplement 53: 1–76. doi:10.1143/PTPS.53.1.
- John R. Klauder (1961). "The modification of electron energy levels by impurity atoms". Annals of Physics, 14: 43-76. Bibcode 1961AnPhy..14...43K. doi:10.1016/0003-4916(61)90051-3.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Coherent Potential Approximation — In Physics the Coherent Potential Approximation commonly referred to simply as the CPA is a method to find the Green function of an effective medium. The CPA is a useful concept in understanding how waves scatter in a material which displays… … Wikipedia
Coherent states — In quantum mechanics a coherent state is a specific kind of quantum state of the quantum harmonic oscillator whose dynamics most closely resembles the oscillating behaviour of a classical harmonic oscillator. It was the first example of quantum… … Wikipedia
Muffin-tin approximation — Electronic structure methods Tight binding Nearly free electron model Hartree–Fock method Modern valence bond Generalized valence bond Møller–Plesset perturbation theory … Wikipedia
CPA (disambiguation) — CPA is a three letter abbreviation with multiple meanings, as described below: General *Certified Public Accountants qualified accountant professionals in the United States and many other countries. *Certified Practising Accountants a member of… … Wikipedia
Balázs László Győrffy — is a Hungarian American British physicist. He was one of the pioneers of the application of the Korringa Kohn Rostoker Coherent Potential Approximation (KKR CPA) for first principle calculations of the electronic structure of alloys. [Author(s):… … Wikipedia
CPA — Die Abkürzung CPA steht für: Cathay Pacific Airways, ICAO Code der chinesischen Fluggesellschaft Carry Propagate Addierer, eine elektronische Schaltung der Digitaltechnik in Addierwerken Certified Public Accountant Chirped Pulse Amplification,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cpa — Die Abkürzung CPA steht für: Cathay Pacific Airways, ICAO Code der chinesischen Fluggesellschaft Certified Public Accountant Chirped Pulse Amplification, ein Verfahren zur Verstärkung von Laserpulsen Christliche Pfadfinderinnen und Pfadfinder der … Deutsch Wikipedia
CPA — aeronaut. abbr. Closest Point of Approach comp. abbr. Certified Public Account non cryst. solid abbr. Coherent Potential Approximation phot. abbr Concurrent Photon Amplification abbr. Collaboration Protocol Agreements (ebXML) comp. abbr.… … United dictionary of abbreviations and acronyms
Quantum decoherence — Quantum mechanics Uncertainty principle … Wikipedia
Non-topological soliton — In quantum field theory, a non topological soliton (NTS) is a field configuration possessing, contrary to a topological one, a conserved Noether charge and stable against transformation into usual particles of this field for the following reason … Wikipedia