Cloud Atlas (film)
Cloud Atlas Directed by Tom Tykwer
Produced by Tom Tykwer
Screenplay by Tom Tykwer
Based on Cloud Atlas by
Studio A Company
Distributed by Warner Bros. (United States) Release date(s) October 2012 Language English Budget US$100 million
Cloud Atlas is an upcoming English-language historical/science fiction film directed by Tom Tykwer and The Wachowskis. The directors wrote the screenplay based on the 2004 eponymous novel by David Mitchell. With an ensemble cast to cover the film's multiple storylines, production began in September of 2011 at Studio Babelsberg in Germany. The film is scheduled to be released in October of 2012.
The official synopsis for Cloud Atlas says, "[It is] an epic story of humankind in which the actions and consequences of our lives impact one another throughout the past, present and future as one soul is shaped from a murderer into a savior and a single act of kindness ripples out for centuries to inspire a revolution."
The film is based on the 2004 novel Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Filmmaker Tom Tykwer revealed in January of 2009 his intent to adapt the novel and said he was working on a screenplay with the Wachowskis, who optioned the novel. By June of 2010, Tykwer had asked actors Natalie Portman, Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, James McAvoy, and Ian McKellen to star in Cloud Atlas. By April of 2011, the Wachowskis joined Tykwer in co-directing the film. In the following May, with Hanks and Berry confirmed in their roles, Hugo Weaving, Ben Whishaw, Susan Sarandon, and Jim Broadbent also joined the cast. Actor Hugh Grant also joined the cast days before the start of filming.
Cloud Atlas is backed by the German production companies A Company and X Filme, and Variety reported in May of 2011 that the film had a production budget of $140 million. The filmmakers secured €1.5 million ($2.15 million) from Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, a German funder, as part of their plans to film at Studio Babelsberg later in 2011. The project also received financial support from Filmstiftung NRW, another German organization. The budget was updated to $100 million. Filming began on September 16, 2011. German media considers Cloud Atlas to be "the first attempt at a German blockbuster" with its budget making it the most expensive German-produced film to date. Tykwer and the Wachowskis are filming parallel to each other using separate camera crews. Filming will also take place in Scotland and Spain.
Cloud Atlas is targeted for a release in October of 2012. Warner Bros. Pictures will distribute the film in the United States and Canada, and Focus Features is handling sales and distribution for other territories.
- ^ Staff (September 15, 2011). "Wachowskis to start filming 'Cloud Atlas'". UPI. http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2011/09/15/Wachowskis-to-start-filming-Cloud-Atlas/UPI-64481316141970/.
- ^ a b c Dawtrey, Adam (September 13, 2011). "Tykwer, Wachowskis' 'Cloud' draws crowd". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118042710?categoryid=13&cs=1&cmpid=RSS.
- ^ Kroll, Justin (September 27, 2011). "D'Arcy floats to 'Cloud Atlas'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118043514.
- ^ Billington, Alex (January 29, 2009). "Tom Tykwer Adapting Cloud Atlas with Wachowski Brothers". FirstShowing.net. http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/tom-tykwer-adapting-cloud-atlas-with-wachowski-brothers/. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- ^ Keenan, Catherine (April 2, 2011). "David Mitchell – Interview". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- ^ Staff (June 17, 2010). "'Cloud Atlas' aims to recruit all-star cast". NME. http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/cloud-atlas-aims-to-recruit-all-star-cast/176563. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- ^ Kroll, Justin (April 12, 2011). "'Cloud Atlas' gathers with Tom Hanks". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118035354.
- ^ Roxborough, Scott; Kit, Borys (May 11, 2011). "Hugo Weaving, Ben Whishaw Join 'Cloud Atlas' (Cannes Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hugo-weaving-ben-whishaw-join-187412.
- ^ Lodderhose, Diana; Meza, Ed (May 12, 2011). "Sarandon, Broadbent circle 'Atlas'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036870.
- ^ Meza, Ed (May 10, 2011). "Wachowski siblings secure coin for 'Cloud'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036688.
- ^ Horn, Andrew (July 12, 2011). "NRW backs Tykwer/Wachowskis' 'Cloud Atlas'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039744.
- ^ Warner Bros (September 13, 2011). "Cameras to Roll on the Wachowski-Tykwer Directed 'CLOUD ATLAS'". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/13/idUS101383+13-Sep-2011+BW20110913.
- ^ a b Pidd, Helen (June 22, 2011). "Cloud Atlas to be filmed in Berlin as city eyes starring role in movies". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/jun/22/cloud-atlas-filmed-berlin.
- ^ Roxborough, Scott (August 22, 2011). "Wachowskis, Tom Tykwer Set for 'Cloud Atlas' Shoot Mid-September". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cloud-atlas-wachowski-brothers-tom-tykwer-225835.
- ^ Fernandez, Jay A. (April 12, 2011). "WB and Focus International to Distribute 'Cloud Atlas,' Starring Tom Hanks". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/risky-business/wb-focus-international-distribute-cloud-177479.
Films directed by Tom Tykwer 1990s 2000s 2010sThree (2010) · Cloud Atlas (2012) Films directed by The Wachowskis 1990s 2000s 2010sCloud Atlas (2012)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cloud Atlas (novel) — Cloud Atlas … Wikipedia
Cloud atlas (disambiguation) — A cloud atlas is a compendium of cloud types. Cloud Atlas may refer to: Cloud Atlas (novel), a 2004 novel by David Mitchell Cloud Atlas (film), an upcoming film based on the 2004 novel International Cloud Atlas (1896 first edition), the first… … Wikipedia
Cloud Atlas — infobox Book | name = Cloud Atlas title orig = translator = image caption = First edition cover author = David Mitchell cover artist = country = United Kingdom language = English series = genre = Fiction publisher = Hodder and Stoughton release… … Wikipedia
Minority Report (film) — Minority Report … Wikipedia
Duel (1971 film) — For the 2000 Hong Kong film, see The Duel (film). Duel Promotional poster (re release version) Genre Thriller … Wikipedia
Deep Impact (film) — For other uses, see Deep Impact (disambiguation). Deep Impact Original teaser theatrical poster Directed by Mimi Leder … Wikipedia
Jurassic Park (film) — Jurassic Park Theatrical … Wikipedia
Jaws (film) — Jaws … Wikipedia
Munich (film) — Munich Theatrical release poster Directed by Steven Spielberg Produced by … Wikipedia
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (film) — See also: Perfume (2001 film) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer … Wikipedia