(Cleveland Medical Devices Inc.)
Type Private Industry Medical devices Founded 1990Cleveland, Ohio, Founder(s) Robert N. Schmidt Headquarters Cleveland, Ohio Key people Robert N. Schmidt (Chairman)
Hani Kayyali, (President)
Products Technologies for sleep disorders and movement disorders Employees 35 Divisions Sleep Disorders
CleveMed (Cleveland Medical Devices Inc.) is a medical device company that focuses on developing, manufacturing and marketing technologies for sleep disorders and movement disorders. It was founded by Robert N. Schmidt in 1990 and is located in Cleveland, Ohio.
CleveMed's mission is to develop, manufacture, and market rehabilitation and monitoring products that improve quality of life and allow patients to leave the hospital earlier, thus lowering total health care costs.
The company was incorporated in 1991 to develop biomedical signal processing and instrumentation devices. It has since devoted its primary focus to addressing clinical needs in the areas of sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease. Over the last decade, CleveMed experienced grew from a one-person business to employing more than 35 people and training multiple students each year. It has also been the recipient of several awards.
Sleep Disorders Division
An estimated 15 million people in the U.S. alone are affected by a sleep disorder, many of whom remain undiagnosed. Of those that have been diagnosed, many are unhappy with their treatment options.
The Division of Sleep Disorders' offerings include several complete wireless PSG devices. By using these devices, patients can be tested from inpatient rooms and monitored by a technologist remotely - even if the sleep lab is far away. Each system is uniquely suited not just for studies in the traditional sleep lab setting, but also for nontraditional sleep lab applications such as hospital inpatient testing, outpatient pre-surgical testing, nursing homes, "hotel sleep labs" and patients´ homes. There are a number of products commercially available.
Movement Disorders Division
CleveMed's Division of Movement Disorders is focused on quantifying movement disorder symptoms and providing home based therapy aimed at restoring patient function. CleveMed offers a line of clinical and research products that focus on movement disorders such as Parkinson's disease, stroke, and cerebral palsy. These diseases produce symptoms that may limit voluntary motor control or cause unwanted involuntary movements. These symptoms have a large negative impact on the person’s ability to conduct activities of daily living, and hence decrease their quality of life. CleveMed's Division of Movement Disorders develops clinically deployable systems that record movement, restore control, and improve function. Funding provided by the National Institute of Health has allowed CleveMed to establish several programs to develop clinical products focused on both improving the diagnosis and therapy of movement disorders, as well as providing assistive devices for those suffering from such disorders. Currently, there are two products commercially available.
Research and education
In addition to medical devices, CleveMed has devices for the research and education market. Each system utilizes a 12-channel wireless programmable physiological monitor for viewing and recording signals such as ECG, EMG, EEG, respiration, blood pressure and more.
- 2008 & 2007 Inc. 5000 Award, awarded to fastest-growing privately held companies in the U.S.
- 2008 Leading Edge Award, The Leading Edge Award from Entrepreneurs EDGE celebrates the top 101 middle-market companies in Northeast Ohio that create great value for their community.
- 2008 Frost & Sullivan Award, Kinesia was awarded Frost and Sullivan's North American Product Innovation of the Year for mobility disorder monitoring devices.
- 2006, 2002 National Tibbetts Award, One of the best SBIR companies in the nation.
- 2006, Manny Award: New Product/Innovation Category, The Manny Awards celebrate manufacturing excellence by recognizing the achievements of manufacturing and distribution companies in Northeast Ohio. The awards are presented yearly by Inside Business magazine, in partnership with MAGNET. Nominations were made by individual companies, industry experts and business leaders based on a company's innovation and best practices. CleveMed received the award for a Sleep Disorder product.
- ^ a b Awards & Recognitions Retrieved on 2008-12-01.
- ^ Sleep Education Information Sleep Info. Retrieved on 2008-12-01.
- ^ Sleep Disorder Diagnosis and Tests Retrieved on 2008-12-01.
- ^ Sleep Disorder Treatment Options Retrieved on 2008-12-01.
- ^ a b CleveMed Website Retrieved on 2008-12-01.
- ^ CMS supports Home Testing Article from Sleep Review Magazine Retrieved on 2008-12-01.
- ^ Inc 5000 Retrieved on 2008-12-09.
- ^ Frost & Sullivan Lauds CleveMed for Kinesia, a Revolutionary Mobility Disorder Monitoring System
- ^ 2006 Tibbetts Award Winners
- ^ Awards & Recognitions Retrieved on 2008-12-09.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.