Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church (Bronx, New York)
The Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary General information Architectural style Modernist Town or city Marble Hill / Kingsbridge, Bronx, New York City Country United States of America Completed 1953 (for present church)
1953 (for present school)
Cost $200,000 (for 1953 school) Technical details Structural system Brick and reinforced concrete Design and construction Client Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York
The Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 160 Van Cortlandt Park South, Kingsbridge / Marble Hill, Bronx, New York City, New York.
The parish was established in 1928. The original structure was a combined school-over-church, common to the city. Construction of the Major Deegan Expressway caused the church to moved to its present site in 1951. Both church and school were completed 1953 as Modernist brick and reinforced concrete structures. Cardinal Spellman dedicated the parish school building, which was completed in 1953 at a cost of $200,000. The rectory address is 160 Van Cortlandt Park South, Bronx NY 10463.
The parish school is at 171 West 239th Street, Bronx NY 10463.
- ^ a b c d See Thomas J. Shelley, The Archdiocese of New York: the Bicentennial History, (New York: Archdiocese of New York / Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), p. 478, 480.
- ^ a b c Joe McMahon, Bronx Catholic "Visitation, Van Cortlandt Park South", May 16, 2010, "This is an attempt to index references to The Bronx in "The Archdiocese of New York: the Bicentennial History," a marvelous 624-page book written by Thomas J. Shelley. The 2007 book may still be available at the St. Patrick Cathedral gift shop. The strength of this blog will be in the alphabetic list of labels to the right, or use the search box at top left. The blog format requires that entries move from recent to old. I continue to add photos and information." (Retrieved 21 May 2011)
- ^ a b c "Dedication by Cardinal: New School of the Visitation Opens Today in Marble Hill," New York Times, Apr 27, 1953, Excerpt: "Four thousand persons saw Cardinal Spellman dedicate yesterday the new School of the Visitation, a parochial elementary school, at West 239th Street and Putnam Avenue in the Marble Hill section of the Bronx.... at a cost of $200000, it is in tho rear of the new Roman Cathoti6 Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary, 160 Van Cortlandt Park South...."
- ^ "Bronx Parish to Get New Building Site; Visitation Church and School to Replace Plant Ousted by Parkway Link," New York Times, May 2, 1951, Excerpt: "The Archbishopric of New York has purchased a plot containing 50,000 square feet of land at Van Cortlandt Park South, Review Place and Putnam Avenue in the Bronx...Van Cortlandt Park South, Review Place and Putnam Avenue in the Bronx. ... The land will be the site of the new church and school for Visitation parish...."
- ^ "Parcels in Bronx Go To 3 Churches: Lutheran, Episcopal, Roman Catholic Groups Involved --Expansion Is Planned," New York Times, Mar 5, 1956, Excerpt: "Purchases of properties in the Bronx by churches were announced over the week-end....The Roman Catholic Church of the Visitation bought three vacant parcels to round out its control of the entire square block bounded by Van Cortlandt Park ...."
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.