Dominican Church and Convent of St. James in Sandomierz

Dominican Church and Convent of St. James,
Sanctuary of Blessed Sadok and 48 Dominican martyrs, Sanctuary of Our Lady of Rosary

View from the Sandomierz Main Squere

Basic information
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Rite Latin
Region Sandomierz
State  Poland
Province Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship / Roman Catholic Diocese of Sandomierz

The Church of St. James in Sandomierz (Church of St. Jacob), also known as the Sanctuary of Blessed Sadok and 48 Dominican martyrs, Monastery of Dominicans (Convent of St. James), Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary, is one of the oldest brick churches in Poland (probably in Europe) and the second oldest Dominican monastery in Poland (after the monastery in Cracow). This church is a unique indirect form of Romano-Gothic style. The Roman ceramic decorations on the outside gabled walls are unusual and beautifully done. The stained glass windows inside are particularly beautiful, and date from 1910 to 1918.

Dominican Order

This was the second convent founded in Poland by Saint Hyacinth. During the Mongol invasion in 1260, Sadok and 48 other Dominicans were murdered there. Because of this martyrdom, the Polish Dominican friars may use red belts in their habits. There is also a holy icon of Our Lady of the Rosary - the title of Mary that is the most important to the Order. After the January Uprising, Dominican friars were thrown out by the Russian administration during the Partition. They returned to Sandomierz in 2001.

The Lesser Polish Way

In this church, The Lesser Polish Way of St. James to Santiago de Compostela has its beginning. In medieval times it was an important stop for the pilgrims from Eastern and Northern Europe.

See also

Coordinates: 50°40′41″N 21°44′26″E / 50.67806°N 21.74056°E / 50.67806; 21.74056


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Sandomir — • Ancient Polish city with existing traces of prehistoric construction Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Sandomir     Sandomir     † …   Catholic encyclopedia


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.