- St Berres' Church, Llanferres
St Berres' Church, Llanferres
St Berres' Church, Llanferres, from the northwest
Coordinates: OS grid reference SJ 188 605 Location Llanferres, Denbighshire Country Wales Denomination Anglican History Dedication Saint Berres Architecture Heritage designation Grade II Designated 26 April 1990 Architect(s) Joseph Turner (?), Thomas Jones, John Douglas Architectural type Church Style Gothic Specifications Materials Limestone, slate roofs Administration Parish Benefice of Gwernaffield and Llanferres Deanery Mold Archdeaconry Wrexham Diocese St Asaph Province Church in Wales Clergy Curate(s) Rev J. Stephens
St Berres' Church, Llanferres, is in the village of Llanferres, Denbighshire, Wales on the A494 road between Mold and Ruthin. It is an Anglican church in the benefice of Gwernaffield and Llanferres, the deanery of Mold, the archdeaconry of Wrexham and the diocese of St Asaph. The church is a Grade II listed building.
The earliest documentary evidence to the church is in 1291, although it is possible that it has a medieval origin. Alterations were made to the church in the 17th century, which are indicated by a datestone of 1650. Some rebuilding took place in 1774, probably under the direction of the Chester architect Joseph Turner. Another Chester architect, Thomas Jones, added the south transept, the west tower, and possibly two galleries. A third Chester architect, John Douglas carried out an internal restoration in 1891–92. This included stripping of the plaster, removal of the galleries, and a new screen. Glass was removed from the east window and inserted into windows at the west end.
The church is built in limestone with slate roofs and grey ridge tiles. Its plan consists of a nave and chancel in one cell, a south transept, a west tower, and a porch near the northwest angle of the nave. The tower has three stages. In the lowest stage, on the west wall is a doorway, and above this is a two-light window. The second stage has a quatrefoil window on each face. The top stage consists of an octagonal bellcote with a weathervane.
The font has a bowl with quatrefoils and is dated 1684. There are two sepulchral slabs which date from the late 13th century. One of the monuments dates from the late 14th century, and others from the 17th and 18th centuries.
The gatepiers in the church yard have also been designated as a Grade II listed building.
- List of church restorations, amendments and furniture by John Douglas
- ^ Benefices, Church in Wales, http://www.churchinwales.org.uk/rb/ben.php?dosommat=detail&which=60, retrieved 23 June 2009
- ^ a b Listed Buildings in Wales: Denbighshire, Cadw
- ^ a b Church of St Berres , Llanferres, Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, http://www.cpat.demon.co.uk/projects/longer/churches/denbigh/16849.htm, retrieved 23 June 2009
- ^ Hubbard, Edward (1986), Clwyd, The Buildings of Wales, London: Penguin, p. 211, ISBN 0-14-071052-3
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Llanferres — Infobox UK place latitude= 53.14 longitude= 3.21 country= Wales official name= Llanferres unitary wales= Denbighshire lieutenancy wales= Clwyd constituency westminster= Clwyd West post town= Mold postcode area= CH postcode district= CH7 dial code … Wikipedia