Christopher Columbus: The Discovery
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery
Theatrical release poster
Directed by John Glen Produced by Alexander Salkind
Screenplay by John Briley
Story by Mario Puzo Starring Marlon Brando
Benicio del Toro
Music by Cliff Eidelman Cinematography Alec Mills Editing by Matthew Glen Distributed by Warner Bros. Release date(s) August 21, 1992 Running time 120 min. Language English Budget $45,000,000 Box office Domestic:
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, a 1992 film directed by James Bond alumnus John Glen, was the last project developed by the father and son production team of Alexander and Ilya Salkind. It follows the events leading up to and including the voyage of Columbus to the New World in 1492. Its behind-the-scenes history involved an elaborate series of financial mishandlings which later brought about an emotional falling-out between both Alexander and Ilya; indeed, as a frustrated Alexander would later lament, in an interview with the Los Angeles Times, "I know, after this, that I'll never make movies again." Timothy Dalton and Isabella Rossellini, originally set to star in the picture, backed out when director George Pan Cosmatos was replaced by John Glen shortly before shooting began. Dalton later filed a suit against the producers for breach of contract and fraud.
- Georges Corraface as Christopher Columbus. He replaced Timothy Dalton, who was originally set to play the title role.
- Marlon Brando received top billing for his supporting part as Tomás de Torquemada
- Tom Selleck as King Ferdinand V
- Rachel Ward as Queen Isabella I. She replaced Isabella Rosselini, who was originally set to play the female lead.
- Robert Davi as Martín Pinzón
- Catherine Zeta-Jones as Beatriz Enriquez de Arana
- Benicio del Toro as Alvaro Harana
It won one Golden Raspberry Award Worst Supporting Actor - Tom Selleck, and nominated for another five, including; Worst Picture, Worst Supporting Actor - Marlon Brando, Worst New Star - Georges Corraface, Worst Screenplay - Mario Puzo and Worst Director - John Glen.
- 1492: Conquest of Paradise, another film about Columbus released in 1992
- Carry On Columbus - A comedy-film about Columbus released in 1992
- ^ "Columbus: A Filmmaker's Odyssey". Orlando Sentinel. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-08-29/lifestyle/9208280862_1_christopher-columbus-salkind-ridley-scott. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- ^ "EPIC `1492' FILM CAPTURES ENERGY OF EXPLORER'S TIMES BEDEVILED VISIONARY Series: DISCOVERING COLUMBUS: 1492 -- Second of Three Parts.". Morning Call. http://articles.mcall.com/1992-10-09/features/2893351_1_christopher-columbus-columbus-day-columbus-legend. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- ^ "A Family Feud in Wake of 'Columbus' : Movies: Ilya Salkind has sued Alexander, his father and producing partner, for breach of contract, fraud and racketeering.". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-11-24/entertainment/ca-60385_1_alexander-salkind. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ Timothy Dalton - Biography
- ^ DALTON'S DISCOVERY | Timothy Dalton | Pop Culture News | News | Entertainment Weekly
- ^ "Christopher Columbus Sails Right Past Bankruptcy". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-06/business/fi-1325_1_christopher-columbus. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Can Two Columbus Projects Stay Afloat?". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1991-05-15/entertainment/ca-1889_1_ridley-scott-movie. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Columbus: Adrift at Sea With No Paddle". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1992-08-24/entertainment/ca-5381_1_christopher-columbus. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Review/Film; It's Goodbye, Columbus, As Torquemada Waves". The New York Times. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9E0CE7D71F3BF931A1575BC0A964958260. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- ^ "Weekend Box Office `Unforgiven' at Top for Third Week". The Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1992-08-25/entertainment/ca-6052_1_weekend-box-office. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- ^ "Revenues Of Summer Movies Never Quite Fired Up Box Office". Sun Sentinel. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1992-09-04/features/9201190510_1_batman-returns-star-vehicles-star-james-woods. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- Christopher Columbus: The Discovery at the Internet Movie Database
- Christopher Columbus: The Discovery at AllRovi
Films directed by John Glen 1980s 1990sCheckered Flag (1990) · Aces: Iron Eagle III (1992) · Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992) 2000sThe Point Men (2001)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Christopher Columbus – Der Entdecker Originaltitel: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery Produktionsland: Spanien, USA, Großbritannien Erscheinungsjahr: 1992 Länge: 120 Minuten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christopher Columbus (disambiguation) — Christopher Columbus was an explorer for Spain born in Genoa (now in Italy) Christopher Columbus may also refer to: Christopher Columbus Langdell, Dean of Harvard Law School Christopher Columbus Andrews, American soldier, diplomat and author… … Wikipedia
Christopher Columbus — This article is about the explorer. For other uses, see Christopher Columbus (disambiguation). Christopher Columbus … Wikipedia
Christopher Columbus - Der Entdecker — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Christopher Columbus – Der Entdecker Originaltitel: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery Produktionsland: Spanien, USA, Großbritannien Erscheinungsjahr: 1992 Länge: 120 Minuten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christopher Columbus – Der Entdecker — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Christopher Columbus – Der Entdecker Originaltitel: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery Produktionsland: Spanien, USA, Großbritannien Erscheinungsjahr: 1992 Länge: 120 Minuten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christopher Columbus — Christopher Columbus † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Christopher Columbus (Italian CRISTOFORO COLOMBO; Spanish CRISTOVAL COLON.) Born at Genoa, or on Genoese territory, probably 1451; died at Valladolid, Spain, 20 May 1506. His… … Catholic encyclopedia
Christopher Columbus (sculpture by Vittori) — Christopher Columbus Artist Enrico Vittori Year 1920, renovated 1955 Type Bronze bust on granite pedestal and granite base Dimensions 344 cm × 200 cm × 190 cm (135.5 in × 80 in × 76 in) Location… … Wikipedia
The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus — Infobox Painting| title=The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus artist=Salvador Dalí year=1959 type=oil on canvas height=410 width=284 height inch=161.4 width inch=111.8 city=St. Petersburg, Florida museum=Salvador Dalí Museum The… … Wikipedia
Voyages of Christopher Columbus — Discovery of the Americas and Discovery of America redirect here. For other uses, see Discovery of the Americas (disambiguation). Voyages of Christopher Columbus The Four Voyages of Columbus Participants Christopher Columbus and crew … Wikipedia
Origin theories of Christopher Columbus — Christopher Columbus depicted in The Virgin of the Navigators by Alejo Fernández, 1531–36. The exact origin of Christopher Columbus (his national or ethnic background) has been a source of speculation since the 19th century. However, it is… … Wikipedia