Christine M. Griffin Massachusetts Assistant Secretary for Disability Policies and Programs, Executive Office of Health and Human Services Incumbent Assumed office
August 29, 2011
Deputy Director of the United States Office of Personnel Management In office
January 4, 2010 – August 2011
Preceded by Howard Weizmann Commissioner of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission In office
January 2005 – December 2009
Personal details Born 1950s
Nationality American Political party Democratic Spouse(s) married Alma mater Massachusetts Maritime Academy (B.S., 1983), Boston College Law School (J.D., 1993) Military service Allegiance United States Service/branch United States Army Years of service 1974–1977
Christine M. Griffin is an American lawyer and Assistant Secretary for Disability Policies and Programs for the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
After military service on active duty from 1974 to 1977, Griffin graduated from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy in 1983 and worked for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. She received a Juris Doctor from the Boston College Law School in 1993 and held posts in disability advocacy groups and as commissioner of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission until 2009. From 2010 to 2011 she served as deputy director of the United States Office of Personnel Management under John Berry.
Early life and career
Griffin was born in the mid-1950sN- in Dorchester, Boston, Massachusetts. She went to St. Patrick's High School in Roxbury, Boston and served on active duty in the United States Army from 1974 to 1977. Griffin later entered the Massachusetts Maritime Academy to become a marine engineer. A car accident in her third year left her partially paralyzed and using a wheelchair. She graduated in 1983 with a Bachelor of Science in marine engineering.
After her graduation, Griffin tested medical devices in a laboratory of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in Winchester, Massachusetts. She later became a field investigator and faced difficulty due to her disability. A FDA prosecution of a medical device manufacturer got Griffin interested in law and she entered Boston College Law School in 1990 to become a legal adviser for the FDA or a medical equipment company. As a student, Griffin was hired as an intern to study the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 for a Boston lobbyist and came in contact with disability rights movement advocates. She graduated in 1993 with a Juris Doctor. Upon graduation, she was awarded a Skadden Arps Fellowship at the Boston Disability Law Center and worked as Interim President of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy from 1993 to 1994.
From 1995 to 1996, Griffin served as an attorney advisor to the Vice Chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Paul Igasaki, and served as executive director of the Boston Disability Law Center from 1996 to 2005. Griffin is a labor law expert and was named "Lawyer of the Year" by Lawyers Weekly in 2005.
Griffin is a Democrat, and in January 2005 agreed to fill a vacancy on the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. She was nominated by President George W. Bush on July 28, 2005, and confirmed unanimously by the United States Senate on November 4, 2005. Griffin was sworn in on January 3, 2006, to serve the remainder of a five-year term expiring July 1, 2009, and became the first female member of the commission with a physical disability. As commissioner, Griffin advocated for increasing the number of disabled workers in the federal government. In January 2009, President Barack Obama appointed Griffin as acting vice chairman of the commission. Griffin served until December 2009.
Office of Personnel Management
President Barack Obama announced his intention to nominate Griffin as deputy director of the United States Office of Personnel Management on April 17, 2009. She was nominated May 12, 2009, and confirmed by the United States Senate on July 30. Griffin took office on January 4, 2010.
Return to Massachusetts
Massachusetts Secretary of Health and Human Services JudyAnn Bigby announced on July 21, 2011 that she has appointed Griffin as Assistant Secretary for Disability Policies and Programs, beginning on August 29, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e "Christine Griffin takes oath as EEOC Commissioner" (Press release). Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. January 3, 2006. http://eeoc.gov/press/1-3-06.html. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Whitehead, Jane (Spring 2006). "Griffin Goes to Washington". BC Law Magazine. http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/alumni/magazine/2006/spring/esqire.html. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ a b c "Acting Vice Chair Christine M. Griffin". Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. http://youth.eeoc.gov/griffin.html. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ a b "Christine M. Griffin". Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. January 27, 2009. http://archive.eeoc.gov/abouteeoc/griffin.html. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ a b O'Keefe, Ed (April 17, 2009). "Obama to Add 13 More to Administration". The Washington Post. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2009/04/john_berry_gets_a_deputy.html. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ a b Rosenberg, Alyssa (April 17, 2009). "Christine Griffin to OPM". National Journal. http://blogs.govexec.com/fedblog/2009/04/christine_griffin_to_opm.php. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ a b Vogel, Steve (January 23, 2009). "Obama Names Acting EEOC Chair". The Washington Post. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2009/01/obama_names_acting_eeoc_chair.html. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ a b c "Secretary Bigby Appoints Christine Griffin as Assistant Secretary for Disability Policies and Programs" (Press release). Executive Office of Elder Affairs. July 21, 2011. http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2pressrelease&L=1&L0=Home&sid=Eelders&b=pressrelease&f=110721_christine_griffin&csid=Eeohhs2. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ a b Hsieh, Sylvia (December 19, 2005). "Christine Griffin - Massachusetts Disability Rights Attorney". Lawyers Weekly. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-12087928_ITM. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts" (Press release). Office of the Press Secretary. April 17, 2009. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/President-Obama-Announces-More-Key-Administration-Posts-4/17/2009/. Retrieved April 19, 2009.
- ^ "Nomination sent to the Senate" (Press release). Office of the Press Secretary. May 12, 2009. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Nomination-sent-to-the-Senate-05-12-09/. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- ^ Shadovitz, David (August 6, 2009). "An EEOC under Berrien?". Human Resource Executive Online. http://www.hreonline.com/HRE/story.jsp?storyId=239938419. Retrieved August 15, 2009.
- ^ Losey, Stephen (January 4, 2010). "Griffin steps in as OPM's deputy director". Federal Times. http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20100104/PERSONNEL02/1040305/1055/AGENCY. Retrieved January 11, 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Christine King Farris — Born Willie Christine King September 11, 1927 (1927 09 11) (age 84) Atlanta,GA Residence Atlanta,GA … Wikipedia
Christine McIntyre — Born Christine Cecilia McIntyre April 16, 1911(1911 04 16) Nogales, Arizona, U.S. Died … Wikipedia
Christine de Veyrac — during Nicolas Sarkozy s meeting in Toulouse in April 2007 Christine de Veyrac (born 6 November 1959 in Toulouse) is a French politician and … Wikipedia
Christine Chatelain — Born Vancouver, BC, Canada Years active 1996 Present Christine Chatelain is a Vancouver, British Columbia born Canadian film and television actress. She had a recurring role on The Collector as Taylor. Originally an art student in Vancouver, she… … Wikipedia
Christine Stichler — (* 1966 in München) ist eine deutsche Synchronsprecherin und Schauspielerin. Stichler ist mit ihrer besonders sanften und ruhigen Stimme, vor allem als die der Jennifer Love Hewitt in Party of Five und New York Life – Endlich im Leben! bekannt.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christine Chatelain — est une actrice canadienne née à Vancouver, actrice de cinéma et de série télé. Elle est surtout connue pour son rôle de Taylor dans Le Messager des ténèbres (The Collector). Elle étudie à Vancouver, elle débute en 1996 dans Au delà des maux,… … Wikipédia en Français
Nick Griffin — For the comedian, see Nick Griffin (comedian). Nick Griffin MEP … Wikipedia
Brian Griffin — Seriendaten Deutscher Titel: Family Guy Originaltitel: Family Guy Produktionsland: USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kathy Griffin — Griffin at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival Birth name Kathleen Mary Griffin Born November 4, 1960 (1960 11 … Wikipedia
John W. Griffin (politician) — John William Griffin (June 9, 1927 ndash; March 23, 2006) was an Ohio farmer and a perennial candidate over the last forty years for various local, state, and federal offices in Ohio. While he lost far more political races than he won, at the… … Wikipedia