Original Broadway poster
Written by David Henry Hwang Date premiered 2011 Place premiered Longacre Theatre, New York, NY Original language English, Mandarin Genre Comedy Official site IBDB profile
Chinglish is a new American play by Tony Award winner David Henry Hwang. It is a comedy about an American businessman desperate to launch a new enterprise in China, which opened on Broadway October 27, 2011 with direction by Leigh Silverman.
Chinglish began at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, IL, where it ran from June 18, 2011, until July 24, 2011. It was Hwang's second collaboration with OBIE Award-winning director Leigh Silverman, following Yellow Face at the Center Theater Group and The Public Theater.
Few plays in recent years have delighted me as much as Chinglish. With a career spanning more than three decades and a canon that incorporates an array of genres, David is one of the luminaries of contemporary American theater. I have admired his work since long before our collaboration on the Broadway musical Aida, and it is a thrill to welcome him to the Goodman for the first time.
It was announced in Summer 2011 that the play would come to the Longacre Theatre on Broadway with the following cast: Gary Wilmes, Jennifer Lim, Angela Lin, Christine Lin, Stephen Pucci, Johnny Wu and Larry Lei Zhang.
FOUR STARS! In Hwang's hilarious Chinglish, the Chinese tiger roars, American business trembles. Laughs and sexual pleasure in translation. A shrewd, timely and razor sharp comedy! David Henry Hwang's best work since M. Butterfly. -Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune
“Fresh, energetic and unlike anything else on Broadway. Chinglish is a thoughtful, funny and poignant piece in which, miraculously, nothing gets lost in translation.” -Mark Kennedy, Associated Press 
- Best Production - "Chinglish"
- Director - Leigh Silverman
- Actress in a Principal Role - Jennifer Lim
- New Work - David Henry Hwang - (WON)
- Scenic Design - David Korins - (WON)
An American businessman arrives in a bustling Chinese province looking to score a lucrative contact for his family’s sign-making firm. He soon finds that the complexities of such a venture far outstrip the expected differences in language, customs and manners – and calls into questions even the most basic assumptions of human conduct.
The U.S. and China are at a critical moment in history—each nation is deeply interested in, but knows very little about the other. Chinglish was born from the many visits I’ve made to China over the past five or six years to witness the exciting changes there. During one visit, I toured a new arts center where everything was first-rate—except for the ridiculously translated English signs. It was at that moment I thought of writing this play.”
-David Henry Hwang, Playwright
Characters and Broadway Cast
- Daniel Cavanaugh - Gary Wilmes
- Xi Yan - Jennifer Lim
- Miss Qian / Prosecutor Li - Angela Lin
- Miss Zhao - Christine Lin
- Peter Timms - Stephen Pucci
- Bing / Judge Xu Geming - Johnny Wu
- Minister Cai Guoliang - Larry Lei Zhang
- David Henry Hwang (Playwright)
- Leigh Silverman (Direction)
- David Korins (Set Design)
- Anita Yavich(Costume Design)
- Brian MacDevitt (Lighting Design)
- Darron L. West (Sound Design)
- Jeff Sugg & Shawn Duan (Projection Design)
- ^ "World premiere of David Henry Hwang's Sexy New Comedy, CHINGLISH (June 18 - July 24), Completes Goodman Theatre's 'Decade on Dearborn' Celebratory Season.". Broadway's Best Shows. May 31, 2011. http://broadwaysbestshows.com/news/05-31-2011/world-premiere-of-david-henry-hwang-s-sexy-new-comedy-chinglish-june-18-july-24-completes-goodman-theatre-s-decade-on-dearborn-celebratory-season. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- ^ "By Way of Chicago, David Henry Hwang Comedy ‘Chinglish’ Will Come to Broadway". The New York Times. June 28, 2011. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/by-way-of-chicago-david-henry-hwang-comedy-chinglish-will-come-to-broadway/. Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- ^ "In Hwang's hilarious 'Chinglish,' the Chinese tiger roars, American business trembles". Chicago Tribune. June 27, 2011. http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/the_theater_loop/2011/06/theater-review-chinglishthrough-july-24-at-the-goodman-theatre-170-n-dearborn-st-2-hours-25-minutes-25-.html. Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- ^ "Blagojevich tragedy not as alien as we might like". Chicago Sun-Times. June 28, 2011. http://www.suntimes.com/news/steinberg/6219984-452/blagojevich-tragedy-not-as-alien-as-we-might-like.html. Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- ^ "'Chinglish' jumps into Sino-American culture gap". Associated Press. October 27, 2011. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45070192/ns/us_news/t/chinglish-jumps-sino-american-culture-gap/. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- ^ "Chinese Call Shots in Business, Sex Comedy ‘Chinglish’: Review". Bloomberg. October 29, 2011. http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-28/chinese-call-shots-in-business-sex-comedy-chinglish-review. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- ^ "Jeff 2011 Equity Awards Announced". Jeff Awards. August 31, 2011. http://www.jeffawards.org/News/detail.cfm?id=30094900. Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- ^ "Chinglish on Broadway". Broadway's Best Shows. September 19, 2011. http://broadwaysbestshows.com/show/Chinglish. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chinglish — [clarification needed] Chinglish refers to spoken or written English language that is influenced by the Chinese language. … Wikipedia
David Henry Hwang — Birth name David Henry Hwang / 黃哲倫 Born August 15, 1957 (1957 08 15) (age 54) Origin Los Angeles, California Occupations Playwright, Screenwriter, Te … Wikipedia
The Second City — For other uses, see The Second City (disambiguation). The Second City logo by Chicago calligrapher John Weber The Second City is a improvisational comedy enterprise which originated in Chicago s Old Town neighborhood. The Second City Theatre… … Wikipedia
Singlish — Spoken in Singapore Language family Creole Singlish Language codes ISO 639 3 … Wikipedia
Pidgin — Not to be confused with Pigeon. For the instant messaging client, see Pidgin (software). A pidgin ( /ˈpɪ … Wikipedia
Dunglish — on a door in Port Zélande. Note that all three languages have errors, Paarden Uitdeelplaats for example should have been Paardenuitdeelplaats and is in fact an example of the influence of English on Dutch. (The English line is a too literal… … Wikipedia
List of Black Lagoon characters — The following is a list of characters from the Japanese manga and anime Black Lagoon. The Lagoon Company Revynihongo|Revy|レヴィ|Revi, some times referred by her full name nihongo|Rebecca|レヴェッカ|Revekka, does most of the fighting for the Lagoon… … Wikipedia