Chicago Cocktail Type Cocktail Primary alcohol by volume Served On the rocks; poured over ice Standard garnish
Standard drinkware Old Fashioned glass Ingredients as listed at CocktailDB* Preparation Shake or stir with ice. * Chicago Cocktail recipe at CocktailDB
The Chicago Cocktail is a brandy-based mixed drink probably named for the city of Chicago, Illinois. It has been documented in numerous cocktail manuals dating back to the 19th century. Chicago restaurant critic John Drury included it in his 1931 guide Dining in Chicago, noting that it had been served at the American Bar in Nice and the Embassy Club in London. Whether it originated in Chicago is unknown.
Recipes call for brandy; orange-flavored liqueur, such as curacao or triple sec; and bitters, stirred or shaken with ice, which may or may not be strained out afterward. In many versions of the drink, it is topped off with champagne or white wine. Some versions call for sugaring the rim of the glass. It can be served on the rocks in a double old-fashioned glass or, especially in the champagne variation, straight up in a champagne coupe or flute or a cocktail glass.
- ^ Drink of the Week "A classic after-dinner drink from the city of big shoulders."
- ^ a b Swanson, Stevenson (July 12, 2006). "Raise your glass to toast the cocktail: Museums salute 200 years of the mixed drink". Chicago Tribune (Chicago Tribune).
- ^ a b Drury, John (1931). Dining in Chicago. New York: John Day Company. OCLC 245532629. http://libsysdigi.library.uiuc.edu/OCA/Books2008-08/dininginchicago00drur/. The book's publication during Prohibition explains why no U.S. bars are mentioned.
- ^ a b c d Zeldes, Leah A. (July 31, 2009). "What do you get when you order a 'Chicago cocktail'?". Dining Chicago. Chicago's Restaurant & Entertainment Guide, Inc.. http://blog.diningchicago.com/2009/07/31/what-do-you-get-when-you-order-a-chicago-cocktail/. Retrieved Aug. 6, 2009.
- ^ Recipe in Imbibe Magazine
- ^ Craddock, Harry (1930). The Savoy Cocktail Book.
- ^ Stevens, Trey (Feb. 1, 2006). "Drink & Pickup Line Of The Week". AskMen.com
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cocktail (disambiguation) — A cocktail is a mixed drink containing alcohol. Cocktail may also refer to: Fruit cocktail, a mixture of various fruits, often canned Juice Cocktail, a mixture of two or more Vegetable or Fruit Juices, often with added water and sweeteners. The… … Wikipedia
Wine cocktail — A wine cocktail is a mixed drink, similar to a true cocktail. It is made predominantly with wine (including Champagne and Prosecco), into which distilled alcohol or other drink mixer is combined. The distinction between a wine cocktail and a… … Wikipedia
Trump International Hotel and Tower (Chicago) — Infobox Skyscraper building name=Trump International Hotel and Tower caption=Trump International Hotel and Tower (Chicago) on the day its topping out ceremony September 24, 2008 caption2=Location of Trump Tower Chicago antenna… … Wikipedia
Moonlight Cocktail — 1941 sheet music cover for Moonlight Cocktail , Introduced and Recorded by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra , Jewel Music Publishing Co., New York. Moonlight Cocktail is a big band song popular during World War II. It was composed by Luckey Roberts … Wikipedia
Die Herzogin von Chicago — Emmerich Kálmán … Wikipedia
William "Cocktail" Boothby — Based on copyright registration for his 1907/1908 edition of The World s Drinks And How To Mix Them, he was a resident of or had an office in Mountain View, California in 1907.According to the introduction of the post earthquake edition, the 1906 … Wikipedia
Fizz (cocktail) — WPMIXInfobox name = Fizz caption = type = family gin = yes whiskey = yes rum = yes notes = footnotes = A Fizz is a traditional family of mixed drinks. It is variation on the older Sours family. The defining features of the fizz are an acidic… … Wikipedia
Uptown, Chicago — Uptown Community area Community Area 03 Uptown … Wikipedia
Bloody Mary (cocktail) — WPMIXInfobox iba = yes sourcelink = bloodymary name = Bloody Mary caption = a Bloody Chanel with lots of Saquan type = mixed flaming = vodka = yes served = rocks garnish = Celery stalk drinkware = highball ingredients = *4.5 cl (3 parts) Vodka *9 … Wikipedia
Comfort Suites Aurora (Chicago) — Comfort Suites Aurora country: United States, city: Chicago (Western Suburbs) Comfort Suites Aurora Comfort Suites is located on the former Burlington Northern Railroad site, adjacent to the nations oldest limestone railroad roundhouse. This… … International hotels