- Certified Management Accountants of Canada
Certified Management Accountants of Canada (CMA Canada) Formation May 3, 1920 Legal status Incorporated by letters patent under the Canada Corporations Act, Part II Objective Encourage professionalism in accountancy in Canada Headquarters Mississauga, Ontario, Canada Region served Canada, Bermuda, Hong Kong, Caribbean Membership 50,000 Students 10,000 Member's designations CMA, FCMA Official languages English, French Chair Cassandra Dorrington Vice Chair Lorri Lowe President and CEO Joy Thomas Governing body Board of Directors IFAC member since 1977 Website cma-canada.org
CMA Canada, through its provincial and territorial affiliates, grants the CMA professional designation in accounting and is responsible for standards-setting, accreditation and the continuing professional development of CMAs.
CMAs apply expertise in accounting, management and strategy to ensure corporate accountability and help organizations maintain a long-term competitive advantage. CMA Canada offers executive development programs, online courses, and knowledge management publications.
Management Accounting Guidelines and Management Accounting Practices are published by CMA Canada to specify the best practice on key topics in management accounting. They are available for download free of charge or on CD for a nominal charge to CMAs, and can be purchased by non-members.
History of the Society
- 1920 - Incorporation of The Canadian Society of Cost Accountants, with head office in Hamilton, Ontario
- 1926 - Introduction of Cost and Management, the predecessor of CMA Magazine
- 1930 - Name changed to The Canadian Society of Cost Accountants and Industrial Engineers
- 1941 - Formation of provincial societies in Ontario and Quebec, with the power to grant the newly established professional designation of Registered Industrial Accountant ("RIA")
- 1948 - Name changed to Society of Industrial and Cost Accountants of Canada
- 1968 - Name changed to The Society of Industrial Accountants of Canada
- 1977 - Name changed to The Society of Management Accountants of Canada
- 1985 - Introduction of the professional designation of Certified Management Accountant ("CMA"), with existing RIAs being grandfathered in
- 2004 - CMA is registered as a trademark by CMA Canada
- 2006 - Certified Management Accountant is registered as a trademark by CMA Canada
- 2007 - Incorporation of the CMA Canada Research Foundation
- 2009 - Introduction of The National Standard for Public Accounting for Certified Management Accountants to govern the affairs of CMAs that have entered into public practice
A merger was proposed between the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants and CMA Canada in 2004, but it did not go beyond exploratory talks. Discussions began again in 2011, this time including CGA Canada.
Competencies, accreditation process and post-qualification development
CMAs are expected to undergo specific training and practical experience to achieve specified competencies in the area of strategic management accounting, which are intended to prepare them for senior leadership roles in their organizations. There are six functional competencies and four enabling competencies in that regard:
- Strategic management
- Risk management and governance
- Performance management
- Performance measurement
- Financial management
- Financial reporting
- Problem solving and decision making
- Leadership and group dynamics
- Professionalism and ethical behaviour
While candidates may come from a variety of backgrounds, the CMA career path is expected to progress in the following manner:
Stage Phase Nature Acquisition Prior to passage of CMA Entrance Examination In process of completing undergraduate studies, or 5-7 years thereafter. Already in junior to middle management level in their organization. Basic Proficiency Acquisition of the CMA designation and the following five years thereafter Already in middle management level, and progressively gaining more practical experience and responsibility. Advanced Proficiency 5-10 years post-qualification Early- to mid-career professionals, with most having achieved more senior positions within the middle management layer. A significant number hold introductory senior management positions in their area of specialization or in the organization as a whole. Mastery 10-25 years post-qualification Late-career professionals, operating in senior management roles. Most are either the highest-ranking financial officers in their organization or financial professionals with specialized knowledge in particular functional areas. A significant proportion of individuals are operating in the desired “C” space - ie, CEO, CFO, CRO or CIO - and some of these are leaders of large enterprises or significant strategic business units.
CMA candidates (without advanced professional standing) must have obtained a university degree and have credits in a specified list of subjects, before they can write the CMA Entrance Examination. Upon passing this stage, they then enter the Strategic Leadership Programme ("SLP"), which has the following components:
- Development Phase
- followed by the successful passing of the CMA Case Examination
- Application Phase
- leading to the successful preparation and presentation of the Board Report, containing detailed analysis and recommendations on a specified case study
- Completion of 24 months of relevant full-time progressive practical experience confirmed by the employer - of which at least 12 months must be concurrent with the SLP
- Candidates are expected to be expanding their on-the-job responsibilities while undertaking the SLP
Successful passage of the above will result in the granting of the CMA designation. After attaining the designation, there are specified requirements for continuous professional learning and development that must be undertaken to remain in good standing.
Relationships with other professional organizations
Mutual recognition agreements in effect:
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy
Organization Description American Accounting Association Member Canadian Academic Accounting Association Leadership Partner Consortium of Advanced Management International (CAM-I) Collaboration on accounting research studies American Institute of Certified Public Accountants members are exempt from taking the CMA Entrance Examination, and can directly enter the Strategic Leadership Programme Association of Chartered Certified Accountants Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of Pakistan Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants Certified General Accountants Association of Canada Institute of Internal Auditors
- ^ "CMA Canada Research Foundation". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/15475/la_id/1.htm. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ "Professional Development". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm?ci_id=4602&la_id=1. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ "Management Accounting Guidelines (MAGs)". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm?ci_id=4614&la_id=1. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- ^ "Management Accounting Practices (MAPs)". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm?ci_id=4616&la_id=1. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- ^ "Business Resources". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm?ci_id=1885&la_id=1. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- ^ Alan J.Richardson (2002-12-01). "Professional dominance: The relationship between financial accounting and management accounting, 1926-1986". Accounting Historians Journal. http://www.allbusiness.com/accounting-reporting/managerial-accounting/404769-1.html. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- ^ "The National Standard for Public Accounting for Certified Management Accountants". 2009-09-12. http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/2550/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- ^ "Your source for CA-CMA-CGA Merger Information". http://cpacanada.ca/. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ a b "The CMA Competency Map". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/19412/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- ^ "CMA Entrance Examination". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/4122/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- ^ "CMA Canada Strategic Leadership Program". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/4123/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- ^ "The CMA Canada Accreditation Process". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/4121/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- ^ "The National Standard for Continuous Professional Learning and Development for certified Management Accountants". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/5104/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- ^ "Certified Management Accountants of Canada". IFAC. http://www.ifac.org/about-ifac/membership/members/certified-management-accountants-canada. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ "CMA Canada and CMC-Canada announce strategic alliance". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/13583/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ "Mutual Recognition Agreements". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm/ci_id/17431/la_id/1.htm. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ "CAAA Partners, Patrons and Donors". http://www.cma-canada.org/index.cfm?ci_id=2545&la_id=1. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- ^ "International Associates". http://www.caaa.ca/AboutCAAA/PartnersandSponsors/Currentsupporters/index.html. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- ^ "Mutual Recognition Agreements and Advanced Standing". http://www.cma-ontario.org/index.cfm?ci_id=7783&la_id=1. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
IFAC Member Bodies and Associates Asia Africa Europe North America & Caribbean Oceania South America
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Institute of Certified Management Accountants — The Institute of Certified Management Accountants (ICMA) is an Australian organisation focused on management accounting, it differs from other Australian Accounting societies; CPA Australia, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia,… … Wikipedia
Society of Management Accountants of Canada — The Society of Management Accountants of Canada, which is also known as CMA Canada, awards the Certified Management Accountant designation in Canada.CMA Canada represents 37,000 members and 10,000 students. Below the national organization, there… … Wikipedia
Certified Management Accountant — Accountancy Key concepts Accountant · Accounting period · Bookkeeping · Cash and accrual basis · Cash flow management · Chart of accounts … Wikipedia
Certified General Accountants Association of Canada — The Certified General Accountants Association of Canada (CGA Canada) is the umbrella organization for Certified General Accountants. CGA Canada represents 73,000 members and students living and working in Canada, and more than 80 countries around … Wikipedia
Certified Management Accountant — CMA Certified Management Accountant (traduisible par Comptable en management accrédité) est un titre professionnel témoignant de l’acquisition d’un ensemble de compétences en matière de comptabilité de gestion. Il est régi par divers organismes à … Wikipédia en Français
Certified General Accountants of Ontario — Industry Accountancy and Finance Founded Canada (1957) Headquarters Toronto, Ontario, Canada Canada Website www.cga ontario.org … Wikipedia
Certified General Accountants Association of British Columbia — The Certified General Accountants of British Columbia (CGA BC) is the self regulating professional association of Certified General Accountants in the province of British Columbia (B.C.), Canada. CGA BC is the largest and fastest growing… … Wikipedia
Institute of Management Accountants — (en) Cet article est partiellement ou en totalité issu de l’article de Wikipédia en anglais intitulé « Institute of Management Accountants » (voir la liste des auteurs) L IMA ® (Institute of Management Accountants) est une organisation… … Wikipédia en Français
Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of Pakistan — Infobox University name =Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of Pakistan native name = latin name = motto = established =1951 type =Professional institute endowment = staff = faculty = president =Sher Afghan Malik students =>15,000… … Wikipedia
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants — (CIMA) CIMA s current corporate logo Predecessor The Institute of Cost and Management Accountants Formation April 18, 1919 ( … Wikipedia