Burn (Deep Purple album)
Burn Studio album by Deep Purple Released 15 February 1974 Recorded November 1973 in Montreux, Switzerland Genre Hard rock, heavy metal, blues rock Length 41:37 Label EMI/Purple Producer Deep Purple Deep Purple chronology Who Do We Think We Are
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Rolling Stone (unfavourable) Robert Christgau (C+)
Recording and release
It introduced new lead vocalist David Coverdale and new bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes from Trapeze. This was the first Deep Purple album with the Mark III line-up. With the addition of Coverdale and Hughes, Purple's hard rock sound became more boogie oriented, incorporating elements of soul and funk which would become much more prominent on the follow-up album, Stormbringer.
"Coronarias Redig" was recorded during these sessions, but not used on the album, appearing as a B-side on the "Might Just Take Your Life" single. It appears as a bonus track (in remixed form) on the anniversary edition re-release.
"Might Just Take Your Life", released three days before the album on 12 February, was Deep Purple's first UK single in two years.
Glenn Hughes participated in song-writing, but wasn't given credit due to unexpired contractual obligations. However, the 30th anniversary edition of the album included Hughes in the credits for all the tracks except "Sail Away" and "Mistreated".
- Side one
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Burn" Blackmore, Lord, Paice, Coverdale 6:00 2. "Might Just Take Your Life" Blackmore, Lord, Paice, Coverdale 4:36 3. "Lay Down, Stay Down" Blackmore, Lord, Paice, Coverdale 4:15 4. "Sail Away" Blackmore, Coverdale 5:48
- Side two
No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "You Fool No One" Blackmore, Lord, Paice, Coverdale 4:47 2. "What's Goin' On Here" Blackmore, Lord, Paice, Coverdale 4:55 3. "Mistreated" Blackmore, Coverdale 7:25 4. "'A' 200" Blackmore, Lord, Paice 3:51
- 30th anniversary CD reissue
No. Title Writer(s) Length 9. "Coronarias Redig" (2004 remix) Blackmore, Lord, Paice 5:30 10. "Burn" (2004 remix) Blackmore, Hughes, Lord, Paice, Coverdale 6:00 11. "Mistreated" (2004 remix) Blackmore, Coverdale 7:28 12. "You Fool No One" (2004 remix) Blackmore, Hughes, Lord, Paice, Coverdale 4:57 13. "Sail Away" (2004 remix) Blackmore, Coverdale 5:37
- Ritchie Blackmore – lead guitar
- David Coverdale – vocals
- Glenn Hughes – bass guitar, vocals
- Jon Lord – keyboards
- Ian Paice – drums
- Additional personnel
- Deep Purple – producer, mixing
- Martin Birch – engineer, mixing
- Tapani Tapanainen – assistant engineer
- Matthew Tait – mixing (2004 remixes)
- Peter Mew – mastering (2004 version)
- Tony Edwards – executive producer (2004 version)
- Nesbit, Phipps and Froome – artwork
- Fin Costello – sleeve photography
- Candle Makers Supplies – candles
Date Designation Total Sales 20 March 1974 Gold 500,000 Date Designation Total Sales 1 May 1974 Silver 60,000 1 July 1974 Gold 100,000
- ^ http://www.allmusic.com/album/r5336
- ^ Barnes, Ken (25 April 1974). "Album reviews Deep Purple". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/deeppurple/albums/album/93441/review/5946156/burn. Retrieved 2 December 2009.
- ^ http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Deep+Purple
- ^ "RIAA Gold & Platinum database". http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&action=&title=&artist=deep%20purple&format=&debutLP=&category=&sex=&releaseDate=&requestNo=&type=&level=&label=&company=&certificationDate=&awardDescription=&catalogNo=&aSex=&rec_id=&charField=&gold=&platinum=&multiPlat=&level2=&certDate=&album=&id=&after=&before=&startMonth=1&endMonth=1&startYear=1958&endYear=2009&sort=Artist&perPage=25. Retrieved 19 February 2009.
- ^ "BPI certified awards Silver". http://www.bpi.co.uk/platinum/platinumright.asp?rq=search_plat&r_id=22326. Retrieved 21 February 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "BPI certified awards Gold". http://www.bpi.co.uk/platinum/platinumright.asp?rq=search_plat&r_id=22327. Retrieved 21 February 2009. [dead link]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Deep Purple (Album) — Deep Purple Album par Deep Purple Sortie juin 1969 Enregistrement janvier mars 1969 De Lane Lea Studios, Londres Durée 44:34 Genre(s) hard rock … Wikipédia en Français
Deep Purple (album) — Deep Purple Album par Deep Purple Sortie juin 1969 Enregistrement janvier mars 1969 De Lane Lea Studios, Londres Durée 44:34 Genre hard rock … Wikipédia en Français
Burn (Deep Purple song) — Song infobox Name = Burn Artist = Deep Purple Album = Burn Released = February 15 1974 track no = 1 Recorded = November 1973 Montreux, Switzerland Genre = Hard rock, heavy metal Length = 6:05 Label = EMI (UK) Warner Bros. (US) Writer = David… … Wikipedia
Burn (Deep Purple) — Burn (album) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Burn. Burn Album par Deep Purple Sortie 15 février 1974 Enregistrement … Wikipédia en Français
Deep Purple (album) — Deep Purple Studio album by Deep Purple Released 21 June 1969 (US) November 1969 (UK) Recorded … Wikipedia
Deep Purple (Album) — Deep Purple Studioalbum von Veröffentlichung 21. Juni 1969 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Powerhouse (Deep Purple album) — Powerhouse Compilation album by Deep Purple Released December 1977 … Wikipedia
The Platinum Collection (Deep Purple album) — The Platinum Collection Greatest hits album by Deep Purple Released 21 March 2005 … Wikipedia
Nobody's Perfect (Deep Purple album) — Nobody s Perfect Live album by Deep Purple Released June 1988 Recorded May 23, 1987 Feb 26, 1 … Wikipedia
Live in London (Deep Purple album) — Infobox Album Name = Live In London Type = Live Album Artist = Deep Purple Background = Orange Released = 1982 Recorded = May 22 1974 Kilburn State Gaumont Genre = Hard rock Heavy Metal Length = 57:25 (original LP) 93:40 (2007 2CD edition) Label … Wikipedia