Simonds Farsons Cisk
Simonds Farsons Cisk Type Public Industry Beverage Founded 1928 by Giuseppe Scicluna Area served Malta Products Cisk Lager
"The Malta Export Brewery" was created when the first privately-owned Maltese bank, established in 1840 by Giuseppe Scicluna, took over one of their client's operations in 1928. They were granted a temporary exclusive licence to manufacture lagers and from this take-over was born Malta's first beer, the 'Cisk Pilsner'.
The Malta Export Brewery eventually merged with Simonds Farsons Limited in 1948. This company had itself been formed in 1929 by the merger of the local brewing firm, L. Farrugia & Sons (alias 'Farsons') and the Maltese branch of the Simonds' Brewery based in Reading, Berkshire in the United Kingdom. The new company became Simonds Farsons Cisk Limited.
Simonds Farsons Cisk plc produces the following beers : Cisk (Lager), Cisk Export (Premium Lager), Hopleaf (Pale Ale), Hopleaf Extra (Premium Pale Ale), Blue Label (Ale), Lacto (Milk Stout), Traditional and Lemon & Lime shandies, as well as Carlsberg and Skol under licence. The company also has a "Smooth 'n' Creamy" draught variant of Hopleaf and Blue Label, and also produces a variety of soft drinks, table waters, juices and juice drinks.
Cisk Lager is a golden-coloured, bottom-fermented lager with an alcohol content of 4.2% . Fruit and malt flavours can be noted. The name "Cisk" originates from Giuseppe Scicluna's nickname "Iċ-Ċisk" or in English, "The cheque". Scicluna was notable for his use of cheques, and due to the unpopularity of the payment method in Malta at that time, some of Scicluna's clients had the habit of referring to him as "Ċisk". Other than Cisk, Farsons also produces Blue Label (Ale) and Hopleaf (Pale-Ale) as well as the non-alcoholic citrus soft drink, Kinnie.
Farsons is a major franchisee of Burger King, Pizza Hut and KFC in Malta, Italy and other European countries. The company's first Burger King location opened in Malta in 1995, KFC in 1996, and Pizza hut in 1993. It added TGI Fridays to its stable of restaurants in 1999.
- Cisk Lager was awarded top prize in the International Lager Category at the 1995 Australian Beer Awards and was presented with the Pfizer Food Science Trophy for the lager obtaining the highest number of votes in the same competition.
- Cisk Lager had achieved a similar dual championship recognition during the 1980 Brewex Competition held in the UK when it had been awarded gold medals for both the "Lager" and the "Best Overall" categories.
- Cisk Lager was named "World's Best Traditional Lager" by Beers of The World in 2007.
- Cisk Excel was named "World's Best Low Carb Beer" by Beers of the World in 2007.
- ^ Lindsay, David (20 June 2001). "Farsons Group improves its financial results". The Business Times. http://www.businesstoday.com.mt/2001/0620/top1.html. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- ^ "Burger King celebrates its 10th Anniversary in Malta with charity event" (Press release). 27 May 2005. http://www.farsons.com/page.asp?n=newsdetails&i=4684. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- ^ "KFC ‘lands’ at Malta International Airport" (Press release). 16 June 2009. http://www.farsons.com/page.asp?n=newsdetails&i=5037. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- ^ "Pizza Hut expands to Bugibba" (Press release). 21 December 2004. http://www.farsons.com/page.asp?n=newsdetails&i=4176. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- ^ "Fifth year of T.G.I. Friday's in Malta" (Press release). 8 February 2004. http://www.farsons.com/page.asp?n=newsdetails&i=2061. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- Cisk Lager's Official website
- The "Farson Groups of Companies" website, including Company history
Burger King People Product
programsCampaignsSponsorshipsRelated subjectsBurger Wars · Fast food advertising
NutritionAnnual revenue US$2.5 billion (2010) · Employees 38,884 (2010) · Website Burger King
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Simonds Farsons Cisk — Rechtsform Public Limited Company Sitz Malta Die Simonds Farsons Cisk plc ist die Grundlage der Farsons Group und stellt Getränke her. Gleichzeitig ist es Mutterunternehmen für zehn weitere Unternehmungen und ist in Malta beheimatet. Es… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Simonds Farsons Cisk — Logo de Simonds Farsons Cisk Création 1928 Fondateurs Giusepe Scicluna … Wikipédia en Français
Cisk — ist ein Markenname eines Lagerbieres, welches von Simonds Farsons Cisk gebraut wird. Seit dem Jahr 1928 wird es hergestellt. Im Jahr 1995 erreichte es eine Topplazierung bei den Australian Beer Awards. Der Alkoholgehalt beträgt 4,2%. Es ist das… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Simonds — may refer to:People*Gavin Simonds, 1st Viscount Simonds *George Simonds *George Blackall Simonds *George S. Simonds *Guy Simonds *Henry Simonds *John O. Simonds *Justin Simonds *Matthew Simonds *Merilyn Simonds *Nathaniel Simonds *Ossian Cole… … Wikipedia
Cisk (disambiguation) — Cisk is a brand of lager produced by Simonds Farsons Cisk plc. Cisk may also refer to: CISK, an abbreviation for convective instability of the second kind Cisk, Poland This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an … Wikipedia
Simonds' Brewery — The Simonds Brewery was a brewery based in Reading in the English county of Berkshire. Corporate historyThe Simonds Brewery was founded in Broad Street in Reading by William Blackall Simonds in 1785 (although his father had a brewing arm of his… … Wikipedia
Simonds — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Pour l’article homophone, voir Simmonds. Simmons peut faire référence à : Toponymes Simonds, paroisse canadienne du Nouveau … Wikipédia en Français
Kinnie — Infobox Beverage name=Kinnie type=Soft drink manufacturer=Simonds Farsons Cisk origin=Malta introduced=1952 discontinued= color = Amber related= Krest Chinotto variants= Kinnie Zest Diet Kinnie Kinnie is an unusual soft drink that originated in… … Wikipedia
Kinnie — Lata y vaso de Kinnie. Kinnie es una bebida no alcohólica creada en 1952 en Malta. Su sabor recuerda a bebidas alcohólicas como Jagermeister y Campari. La bebida se elabora con naranjas “chinotto , hierbas aromáticas y especias. En el año 2007 se … Wikipedia Español
Kinnie — Тип: Безалкогольный напиток Производитель: Simonds Farsons Cisk Происхождение: Мальта Год: 1952 Сайт … Википедия