Archer's father was
Gleason Archer, Sr., the founder of Suffolk Universityin Boston. Archer graduated in 1938 with a B.A.from Harvard University( summa cum laudein Classics) and received an LL.B.from Suffolk Law School in 1939, the same year he was admitted to the Massachusettsbar. In 1940 he received a masters degreeand in 1944 he was awarded a Ph.D.at Harvard University in Classics. Finally he received his Bachelor of Divinityfrom Princeton Theological Seminaryin 1945.
Archer served as a Pastor of
Park Street Churchin Bostonfrom 1945 to 1948. He then became a Professor of Biblical Languages at Fuller Theological Seminaryin Pasadena, Californiafrom 1948 to 1965. From 1965 to 1986 he served as a Professor of Old Testamentand Semitics at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois. He became an emeritusfaculty member in 1989. The remainder of his life was spent researching, writing, and lecturing.
His defense of the doctrine of
Biblical inerrancyby proposing harmonizations and exegesisregarding inconsistencies in the Biblemade Archer a well known biblical inerrantist. He stated: "One cannot allow for error in history-science without also ending up with error in doctrine." [ [http://www.frontlinemin.org/resurrection.asp Quoted without reference in Frontline Ministries website (a biblical inerrantist site)] ] He was critical of the documentary hypothesiswhich denies the Mosaic authorshipof the Pentateuch.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "The Book of Job: God's Answer to the Problem of Undeserved Suffering". Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, c1982.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "A descriptive catalog of the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School Biblical coin collection". Deerfield, Ill. : Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1986.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties". Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, c1982. ISBN 0-310-43570-6
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "The Epistle to the Hebrews: A Study Manual". Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, c1957.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "The Epistle to the Romans: A Study Manual". Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, c1959.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "In the Shadow of the Cross". Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, c1957.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "The reception of Pindar in Germany during the eighteenth century". Thesis (Ph. D.)--Harvard University, 1944.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "A Survey of Old Testament Introduction". Chicago: Moody, C1974. Updated and revised ed., c1994, ISBN 0-8024-8200-7, c2007, ISBN 0-8024-8434-4.
* Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. and Gregory Chirichigno. "Old Testament quotations in the New Testament". Chicago : Moody Press, 1983. ISBN 0-8024-0236-4
* Archer, Gleason, Paul Feinberg, and Douglas Moo. "Three Views on the Rapture". Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, c1996. ISBN 0-310-21298-7
*Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr.; Walter C Kaiser and Ronald F Youngblood. "A Tribute to Gleason Archer". Chicago : Moody Press, 1986. ISBN 0-8024-8780-7
*Harris, R. Laird, Gleason Leonard Archer, Jr., and Bruce K Waltke. "Theological wordbook of the Old Testament". Chicago : Moody Press, 1980. ISBN 0-8024-8631-2
*Hill, Gary Hill and Gleason Leonard Archer, Jr. "The Discovery Bible. New American Standard, New Testament (Reference Ed.)". Chicago : Moody Press, 1987. ISBN 0-8024-4159-9
*Jerome, Saint. "Jerome's commentary on Daniel". Translated by Gleason Leonard Archer, Jr. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1958.
*Robbins, David L. "Gleason L. Archer". Boston : Suffolk University, 1980
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gleason Archer, Sr. — For his son, the theologian, see Gleason Archer, Jr. Gleason Archer, Sr. (1880–1966) was the founder and first president of Suffolk University and Suffolk Law School.Gleason Leonard Archer was born in 1880 in Great Pond, Maine. Archer was the… … Wikipedia
Archer — An archer is someone who practices archery. Examples of archers can be found at the List of archers article.They were used in ancient and medieval times as part of armies. An archer was equipped with a bow and arrows which they used for long… … Wikipedia
Suffolk University — Infobox University name = Suffolk University image size = 150px motto = Honestas et Diligentia established = 1906 type = Private, Coeducational president= David J. Sargent city = Boston state = Massachusetts country = U.S. undergrad = 5,196 grad … Wikipedia
Suffolk University Law School — Infobox University name = Suffolk University Law School established = 1906 type = Private endowment = parent endowment = head = Alfred C. Aman, Jr. city = Boston state = Massachusetts country = USA students = 1,644… … Wikipedia
Internal consistency of the Bible — An American family Bible dating to 1859. The question of the internal consistency of the Bible concerns the coherence and textual integrity of the Biblical scriptures. This has long been an issue for Christians and Jews, who consider the Bible… … Wikipedia
Park Street Church — The Park Street Church in Boston, Massachusetts is an active Conservative Congregational Church at the corner of Tremont Street and Park Street. The church is currently pastored by Gordon P. Hugenberger.Park Street Church is a historic stop on… … Wikipedia
Lord's Day — See also: Sabbath in Christianity Contents 1 Textual tradition 1.1 Ambiguous references 1.2 U … Wikipedia
Christian apologetics — Part of a series on Christianity … Wikipedia
Science and the Bible — The various books of the Hebrew and Christian Bible contain descriptions of the physical world in the Iron Age Levant which may or may not be considered scientific.AgricultureIn the Parable of the Mustard Seed (nasb|Matthew|13:31 32|Matthew 13:31 … Wikipedia
Park Street Church — Die Park Street Church in Boston Daten Ort Boston, Massachusetts Baumeister … Deutsch Wikipedia