Nicodemus, Kansas — Unincorporated community — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Kansas County Graham Elevation 2,080 ft (634 m) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) - Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) FIPS code 20-50575 GNIS feature ID 0472210
Nicodemus is a small unincorporated community in Graham County in North Central Kansas, located 2000 ft (610 m) above sea level in the middle of the Great Plains region of the United States. The community was founded in 1877 and is named for an African American who escaped enslavement. Nicodemus National Historic Site, commemorating the only remaining western town established by African Americans during the Reconstruction Period following the American Civil War, is in town.
During the last weekend of July, former residents return for celebrations and parades.
- Nicodemus National Historic Site, containing a history of the town
- Crockett, Norman I. The Black Towns. Lawrence: Regents Press of Kansas, 1979.
- Hamilton, Kenneth Marvin. Black Towns and Profit: Promotion and Development in the Trans-Appalachian West, 1877-1915. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1991.
- Hamilton, Kenneth Marvin. "The Origins and Early Promotion of Nicodemus: A Pre-Exodus, All-Black Town." Kansas History 5 (winter 1982): 220-242.
- Promised Land on the Solomon: Black Settlement at Nicodemus, Kansas. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Rocky Mountain Region, n.d.
- Schwendemann, Glen. "Nicodemus: Negro Haven on the Solomon." Kansas Historical Quarterly 29 (spring 1963): 10-31.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Kansas Place-Names,John Rydjord, University of Oklahoma Press, 1972, ISBN 0-8061-0994-7
Municipalities and communities of Graham County, Kansas County seat: Hill City Cities Townships Unincorporated
Nicodemus | Penokee
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nicodemus National Historic Site — Nicodemus National Historic Site … Wikipedia
Nicodemus (disambiguation) — Nicodemus was a Pharisee who showed favor to Jesus. The name derives from Greek (Greek: Νικόδημος) and it means victory of the people. Nicodemus may refer to one of the following: People Nicodemus (musician) (1957–1996), Jamiacan danchall deejay… … Wikipedia
Nicodemus Township, Graham County, Kansas — Nicodemus Township Township Location in Graham County … Wikipedia
Kansas — For other uses, see Kansas (disambiguation). State of Kansas … Wikipedia
Kansas — /kan zeuhs/, n. 1. a state in the central United States: a part of the Midwest. 2,363,208. 82,276 sq. mi. (213,094 sq. km). Cap.: Topeka. Abbr.: KS (for use with zip code), Kans., Kan., Kas. 2. a river in NE Kansas, flowing E to the Missouri… … Universalium
History of Kansas — The history of Kansas is rich with the lore of the American Old West. Located on the eastern edge of the Great Plains, the U.S. state of Kansas was the home of nomadic Native American tribes who hunted the vast herds of bison. The region first… … Wikipedia
National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas — Kansas counties There are 1,249 buildings, sites, districts, and objects in Kansas listed on the National … Wikipedia
Municipio de Nicodemus (condado de Graham, Kansas) — Municipio de Nicodemus Municipio de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Morland, Kansas — City Location of Morland, Kansas … Wikipedia
Condado de Graham (Kansas) — Para otros usos de este término, véase Condado de Graham. Condado de Graham Condado de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español