David Mocatta Born 1806 Died 1 May 1882
South Kensington, London
Nationality British Work Buildings Montefiore Synagogue, Brighton Regency Synagogue Projects Stations for the London and Brighton Railway
David Mocatta (1806–1882) was a British architect and a member of the Anglo-Jewish Mocatta family.
Mocatta was the architect of the London and Brighton Railway, designing seven italianate railway stations. Mocatta also designed balustrades and a set of eight Italianate pavilions to ornament John Urpeth Rastrick's Ouse Valley Viaduct for the L&BR.
Mocatta House, a modern office development in Trafalgar Place, Brighton is named after David Mocatta.
- Montefiore Synagogue, Ramsgate, Kent, 1833
- Brighton Regency Synagogue, Sussex, 1836–38
- Brighton railway station, Sussex, 1840
- Croydon railway station, Surrey, 1841 (rebuilt 1894-95)
- Red Hill and Reigate Road railway station, Surrey, 1841 (closed 1844)
- Horley railway station, Surrey (1841, enlarged 1862, demolished 1960's)
- Three Bridges railway station, Sussex, 1841 (enlarged 1855 and 1906–09)
- Haywards Heath railway station, Sussex, 1841, (rebuilt 1933)
- Hassocks or Ditchling Gate railway station, Sussex, 1841, (demolished 1973)
- Pavilions & balustrade on the Ouse Valley Viaduct, Sussex, 1841–42
Sources and further reading
- Brodie, Antonia (2001). Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, L-Z. London & New York: Continuum. pp. 194. ISBN 082645514X.
- Colvin, H.M. (1997). A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-07207-4.
- Kadish, Sharman (2002). "Construction Identity; Anglo Jewry and Synagogue Architecture". Architectural History 45: 386–408.
- Journal of Transport History 3: 149–157. 1958.
- Transactions of the Jewish Historical Society of England 18: 134. 1954.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Frederick David Mocatta — Gedenkbrunnen in London Frederick David Mocatta (* 15. Januar 1828 in London; † 16. Januar 1905 ebenda) war ein englischer Unternehmer und Philanthrop. Bis 1874 war er Leiter der von seinem Großvater mitbegründeten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Frederick David Mocatta — Frederic David Mocatta (1828 1905), tycoon and philanthropist of a noble and Anglo Jewish family, was a member of the London financial firm, Mocatta Goldsmid, but retired from business in 1874 and devoted himself to works of public and private… … Wikipedia
MOCATTA — MOCATTA, English family of Marrano origin. MOSES MOCATTA (d. 1693), who came from Amsterdam, appears in a Bevis Marks (London) synagogue list in 1671. He was a diamond broker and merchant. His granddaughter REBECCA married as her second husband… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Mocatta — (also de Mattos Mocatta, Lumbroso de Mattos Mocatta and Lumbrozo de Mattos Mocatta) is the name of a prominent Anglo Jewish family originally from Spain known for philanthropy, leadership and sponsorship of arts and letters, particularly in the… … Wikipedia
Mocatta, Frederic David — ▪ British philanthropist and historian born Jan. 15, 1828, London, Eng. died Jan. 16, 1905, London British philanthropist, historian, bibliophile, and patron of learning who subsidized the publication of a number of major works of Jewish… … Universalium
Mocatta, Frederick David — (1828 1905) English philanthropist, scholar and communal leader. He was active in the Charity Organization Society and the Jewish Board of Guardians. An observant Jew, he was a member of Orthodox as well as Reform synagogues. He donated his… … Dictionary of Jewish Biography
List of British Jews — is a list that includes Jewish people from the United Kingdom and its predecessor states.Although the first Jews may have arrived on the island of Great Britain with the Romans, it wasn t until the Norman Conquest of William the Conqueror in 1066 … Wikipedia
List of places of worship in Brighton and Hove — St Peter s Church is the parish church of Brighton Map of al … Wikipedia
Moses Montefiore — For other uses, see Montefiore (disambiguation). Sir Moses H. Montefiore Sir Moses Haim Montefiore, 1st Baronet, Kt (24 October 1784 28 July 1885) was one of the most famous British Jews of the 19th century. Montefiore was a financier, banker,… … Wikipedia
Churches and places of worship in Brighton and Hove — This article describes Christian churches and places of worship of other religious denominations in the English city of Brighton and Hove.Made up of the adjacent but formerly separate towns of Brighton and Hove along with surrounding villages and … Wikipedia