World Lymphoma Awareness Day
World Lymphoma Awareness Day (WLAD) is held on September 15 every year and is a day dedicated to raising awareness of
lymphoma, an increasingly common form of cancer. It is a global initiative hosted by the Lymphoma Coalition (LC), a non-profit network organisation of 36 lymphoma patient groups from 30 countries around the world. WLAD was initiated in 2004 to raise public awareness of both Hodgkin and non- Hodgkin lymphoma in terms of symptom recognition, early diagnosis and treatment.
Lymphoma is increasing in incidence [World Health Report 200, World Health Organization, www.who.int] and is a potentially life-threatening disease. One million people worldwide live with lymphoma [GLOBOCAN 2002: Descriptive Epidemiology Group of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) ] and nearly 1,000 people are diagnosed with the disease every day [GLOBOCAN 2002: Descriptive Epidemiology Group of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)] , but there continues to be very little awareness of the signs and symptoms of lymphoma.
New international survey results show that:
• When asked if they know their nodes, only half (49 per cent) of people said they know what nodes do [Lymphoma Coalition conducted an online international survey using surveymonkey.com from July 3, 2008 until July 25, 2008. A total of 744 people participated in the survey. ]
• Although most respondents have heard of lymphoma, 52 per cent of people know very little or nothing about it [Lymphoma Coalition conducted an online international survey using surveymonkey.com from July 3, 2008 until July 25, 2008. A total of 744 people participated in the survey. ]
• Two-thirds (67 per cent) of respondents did not know lymphoma is a type of cancer and that is has one of the fastest growing incidence rates worldwide [Lymphoma Coalition conducted an online international survey using surveymonkey.com from July 3, 2008 until July 25, 2008. A total of 744 people participated in the survey. ]
• 90 per cent of people do not think enough is being done to fund lymphoma research [Lymphoma Coalition conducted an online international survey using surveymonkey.com from July 3, 2008 until July 25, 2008. A total of 744 people participated in the survey. ]
Increasing awareness of lymphoma will allow people around the world to better recognize its signs and symptoms, leading to earlier diagnosis and more timely treatment. Greater awareness will also empower patients and their families to demand specialist treatment and care from qualified lymphoma physicians as well as gain access to the most up-to-date information, support and treatment.
Know Your Nodes
Know Your Nodes is a public awareness campaign created with the insight that people know little about their lymphatic systems and, in turn,
lymphoma. An international survey conducted in 2006 by the Lymphoma Coalition revealed that nearly three-quarters (74 per cent) of people did not know lymphoma was a type of cancer and less than half (49 per cent) knew anything about lymphoma at all. With this knowledge in mind, the Know Your Nodes campaign was created to take people back to the basics and learn more about their lymph nodes, lymphatic systems and lymphoma in time for WLAD.
Know Your Nodes engages people around the world in learning more about their lymph nodes, the lymphatic system, and most importantly, the signs and symptoms of lymphoma. Lymphoma’s signs and symptoms can be similar to other, less serious illnesses, and increasing awareness of lymphoma will allow people around the world to better recognise its signs and symptoms, leading to earlier diagnosis and more timely treatment.
Beacons of Hope
The Beacons of Hope program was created in 2006 to celebrate inspiring people around the world that have been affected by
lymphoma. Lymphoma Coalition members were asked to nominate individuals affected by lymphoma who acted as global ‘Beacons of Hope’ ambassadors. The ambassadors spread the word of hope across the world, bringing real life experience to WLAD.
Since its launch in 2004, WLAD has made its mark internationally, from inspirational showcases of art in Argentina, to bike tours in France, and patient seminars in New Zealand. The global campaign continues to provide a platform for doctors, nurses, patient support groups, patients and their families to share vital knowledge about
lymphoma, its signs and symptoms, and how it affects lives of thousands of people around the world.
In 2007, Lymphoma Coalition launched the Know Your Nodes campaign internationally to help people learn more about lymph nodes, the lymphatic system and lymphoma.
The Know Your Nodes campaign continues to grow each year. For World Lymphoma Awareness Day in 2008, Know Your Nodes expanded its online presence with a new video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxjQkfjBitM Know Your Nodes English Video] , [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGcLwnvKsyE Know Your Nodes French Video] , [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvqlbY3m6XM Know Your Nodes Spanish Video] , [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE8_TPw-pxw Know Your Nodes German Video] . People around the world can visit [http://www.knowyournodes.org www.knowyournodes.org] to find out how much they know about nodes!
About Lymphoma Coalition
Lymphoma Coalition is a non-profit network organisation of lymphoma patient groups. Established in 2003, it is a global initiative dedicated to raising awareness of lymphoma, a common form of cancer, and promoting the well-being of people affected by lymphoma worldwide.
Lymphoma Coalition strives to:
*Raise worldwide awareness of lymphoma among the general public, patients, their families and friends, patient support groups, physicians and other healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of lymphoma
*Build partnerships among Lymphoma Coalition members and share experience and expertise worldwide
*Encourage the establishment of new lymphoma patient groups around the world, especially in countries where groups do not currently exist
*Promote initiatives to support the global lymphoma community
Lymphoma Coalition Member Organisations
* [http://www.linfomasargentina.org Linfomas Argentina]
* [http://www.leukaemia.com Leukaemia Foundation of Australia]
* [http://www.lymphoma.org.au Lymphoma Australia]
* [http://www.abrale.org.br ABRALE: Brazilian Lymphoma and Leukaemia Association]
* [http://www.lymphom-bg.com Bulgarian Lymphoma Patients' Organization]
* [http://www.lymphoma.ca Lymphoma Foundation Canada]
* [http://www.uoll.hr UOLL: Udruga Oboljelih Od leukemije I Limphoma]
* [http://www.lymfomhelp.cz Lymfom Help]
* [http://www.lyle.dk LYLE: Lymferkræft & Leukæmi]
* [http://www.francelymphomeespoir.com France Lymphome Espoir]
* [http://www.leukaemie-hilfe.de Deutsche Leukaemie & Lymphom-Hilfe eV]
* [http://www.hkbcf.org.hk Hong Kong Blood Cancer Foundation (HKBCF)]
* [http://www.lymphoma.ie Lymphoma Support Ireland]
* [http://www.ail.it Associazione Italiana contro le Leucemie-linfomi e mieloma]
* [http://homepage3.nifty.com/webpage3/nexus Group Nexus Japan]
* [http://www.limfoma.lv Limfomas pacientu atbalsta organizācija]
* [http://www.kraujas.lt Kraujas]
* [http://www.funalinh.org FunaLinH: Fundacion Nacional de Pacientes con Linfoma no Hodgkin]
* [http://www.lymfklierkankerdag.nl LymfklierkankerVereniging Nederland]
* [http://www.leukaemia.org.nz Leukaemia and Blood Foundation of New Zealand]
* [http://www.llf.org.sg Leukemia & Lymphoma Foundation]
* [http://www.limfom.si Društvo bolnikov z limfomom]
* [http://www.aeal.es Asociacion Espanola de Afectados por Linfomas (AEAL)]
* [http://www.blodcancerforbundet.se Blodcancerförbundet]
* [http://www.lymphome.ch ho/noho - Schweizerische Patientenorganisation für Lymphombetroffene und Anglehörige]
* [http://www.lymphomas.org.uk Lymphoma Association]
* [http://www.leukaemiacare.org.uk Leukaemia CARE]
* [http://www.lymphoma.org Lymphoma Research Foundation]
* [http://www.iwmf.com International Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia Foundation (IWMF)]
* [http://www.lls.org The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society]
* [http://www.grupolinfomauruguay.org Grupo Linfoma Uruguay]
* [http://www.fundahog.org Fundación Hemato-Oncológica Guyana (Fundahog)]
* [http://www.lymphomacoalition.org Lymphoma Coalition]
* [http://www.knowyournodes.org Know Your Nodes]
WLAD 2008 online video
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxjQkfjBitM Know Your Nodes English Video]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGcLwnvKsyE Know Your Nodes French Video]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvqlbY3m6XM Know Your Nodes Spanish Video]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE8_TPw-pxw Know Your Nodes German Video]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of awareness ribbons — This is a list of awareness ribbons. The meaning behind the awareness ribbon depends on its color or colors. Many groups have adopted ribbons as symbols of support or awareness, and as a result, many causes often share each color. Some causes may … Wikipedia
Hodgkin's lymphoma — Hodgkin lymphoma Classification and external resources Micrograph showing Hodgkin s lymphoma (Field stain). ICD 10 C … Wikipedia
15 сентября — ← сентябрь → Пн Вт Ср Чт Пт Сб Вс 1 2 3 4 5 … Википедия
Health and Disease — ▪ 2009 Introduction Food and Drug Safety. In 2008 the contamination of infant formula and related dairy products with melamine in China led to widespread health problems in children, including urinary problems and possible renal tube… … Universalium
Down syndrome — Classification and external resources Boy with Down syndrome assembling a … Wikipedia
List of people with chronic fatigue syndrome — This is a list of people diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Name Occupation Nationality Notes Michelle Akers Former Olympic soccer player, who starred in the historic 1991 and 1999 Women s World Cup victory by the U.S.. She won the … Wikipedia
Alcohol and cancer — Total recorded alcohol per capita consumption (15+), in litres of pure alcohol. Alcohol is associated with an increased risk of a number of cancers. 3.6% of all cancer cases and 3.5% of cancer deaths worldwide are attributable to consu … Wikipedia
Life Sciences — ▪ 2009 Introduction Zoology In 2008 several zoological studies provided new insights into how species life history traits (such as the timing of reproduction or the length of life of adult individuals) are derived in part as responses to… … Universalium
List of health-related charity fundraisers — This list of health related charity fundraisers includes events designed to raise funds to fight disease and improve health. This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. Contents 1 Bike rides 2 Climbs … Wikipedia
Delta Goodrem — Background information Birth name Delta Lea Goodrem Born 9 November 1984 … Wikipedia