Charles Bronson (band)
Charles Bronson Origin DeKalb, Illinois, USA Genres Powerviolence, thrashcore Years active 1994–1997 Labels Disgruntled
Lengua Armada Discos
Associated acts Los Crudos
Past members Mark McCoy
Charles Bronson was a prolific powerviolence band from DeKalb, Illinois, existing from 1994 to 1997. Although they were often associated with the straight edge scene, only two of the members actually abstained from drug and alcohol use.
Charles Bronson borrowed from the early powerviolence of Infest, who blended youth crew hardcore with the velocity and dissonance of thrashcore. Songs were very brief, and sometimes punctuated by samples taken from various media (including Charles Bronson films). Lyrically, the group tended towards satirical commentary on the hardcore punk scene. The group has been described as a "fast, screaming mess of tall, skinny guys with a lot to say (which you would only know if you read the liner notes)". The group was sometimes criticized for its conceptual take on hardcore and art school tendencies, maintaining a long-standing feud with Felix Havoc of Code 13.
Mark McCoy went on to form the thrashcore group Das Oath, with Dutch musicians; Holy Molar, with members of The Locust; and Ancestors, a black metal project. Guitarist Mike Sutfin later became an artist.
- Demo Tape (1994) – self released
- Self-titled (Diet Rootbeer) 7" (1995) – Six Weeks Records/Youth Attack Records
- Charles Bronson / Spazz Split 7" (1995) – 625, Evil Noise and Disgruntled Records
- Charles Bronson / Unanswered split 7" (1995) – Trackstar Records
- Charles Bronson / Ice Nine split 7" (1996) – Bovine Records
- Charles Bronson / Quill split 7" (1996) – Nat Records (Japan)
- Youth Attack! LP (1997) – Lengua Armada/Coalition Records
- Complete Discocrappy 2xCD (2000) – Youth Attack Records
- All That and a Bag o Dicks (1995) – Disgruntled Records
- Double Dose of Dicks – Disgruntled Records
- Speed Freaks (1995) – Knot Music
- Vida Life (1996) – Lengua Armada
- No Royalties (1996) – Bad People Records
- Cry Now, Cry Later Vol. 4 (1996) – Pessimiser/Theologian
- Another Probe 7" with a Girl on the Cover (1996) – Probe
- El Guapo (1996) – Same Day Records
- Possessed to Skate (1996) – 625 and Pessimiser Records
- Deadly Encounters (1997) – Agitate 96 and Kill Music Records
- Bllleeeeaaauuurrrrgghhh! A Music War (1997) – Slap A Ham Records
- Reality 3 (1997) – Deep Six Records
- Tomorrow will be Worse (1997) – Sound Pollution Records
- Mandatory Marathon (1997) – Amendment Records
- Hurt Your Feelings (2001) – Six Weeks Records
- Chicago's on Fire Again (2001) – Lengua Armada
- Skeletal Festival (2003) – self-released
- ^ a b "Middle America brought Illinois' Charles Bronson, a band that took a page both from Infest's youthcrew/grind combo and Spazz's unabashed sense of humor on their many EP, 7", and comp. appearances". "Powerviolence: The Dysfunctional Family of Bllleeeeaaauuurrrgghhh!!". Terrorizer no. 172. July 2008. p. 36-37.
- ^ Josh Hooten, "Live Fast Die Young: Hilarity, Sincerity, Obscurity", Portland Mercury, January 3, 2002.  Access date: August 15, 2008.
- ^ "And yes only half our band was straight edge." http://www.myspace.com/charlesmuthafuckinbronson
- ^ Jeralyn Mason, Das Oath review, Prefix Mag, August 1, 2006
- ^ a b Felix von Havoc, Maximum Rock'n'Roll #219  Access date: June 19, 2008
- ^ Steve Lowenthal, "The Not-So-New Face of Punk", Spin web exclusive, December 13, 2004.  Access date: August 15, 2008.
- ^ Zach Baron, Pitchfork Media, Some Girls review, March 15, 2006.  Access date: August 8, 2008.
- ^ Brandon Stosuy, "Show No Mercy", Pitchforkmedia, October 11, 2006.  Access date: August 15, 2008.
- ^ Jan, Interview with Mike Sutfin, Enough fanzine, March 24, 2003.  Access date: August 15, 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Charles Bronson (disambiguation) — Charles Bronson (1921–2003) was an American actor. Charles Bronson may also refer to: Charles Bronson (prisoner) (born Michael Peterson ), British criminal Charles Bronson (band), power violence/hardcore punk band from Illinois, USA Charles… … Wikipedia
Charles — ist ein männlicher Vorname, der auch als Familienname in Gebrauch ist. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Herkunft und Bedeutung 2 Bekannte Namensträger 2.1 Vorname 2.2 Familienname … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bronson — The name Bronson may refer to:Peopleurname*Bryan Bronson, American hurdler *Charles Bronson, actor *Charles Bronson (prisoner), British convicted prisoner who renamed himself after the actor *Deming Bronson, Congressional Medal of Honor… … Wikipedia
Territory band — Territory bands were dance bands mdash; circa 1920s–1960s mdash; that crisscrossed specific regions of the country.Gunther Schuller, Chapter 8: Territory Bands (pp. 770–805), The Swing Era: The Development of Jazz, 1930–1945 (The History of Jazz … Wikipedia
Voorhees (band) — Voorhees were a hardcore punk band formed in Durham City (north east England). They existed for over 10 years from early 1991 until late 2001, releasing a plethora of records on various international record labels, backed up by many regular gigs… … Wikipedia
MK-ULTRA (Chicago band) — MK ULTRA (also spelled Mk Ultra, MK Ultra, or Mk Ultra) was a hardcore/thrash band from Chicago, Illinois formed in 1993. They were known for their fast music and outspokenness on political and social topics ranging from capitalism to… … Wikipedia
Donald Charles Baldwin — (born 20 April 1953) is a United States musician, arranger and composer who achieved significant commercial success with recordings he wrote, arranged and performed for Motown Records and Invictus/Hot Wax Records from 1970 to 1980. Notable work… … Wikipedia
K.C. and the Sunshine Band — KC and the Sunshine Band ist eine US amerikanische Discoband aus Florida, die R B mit Funk und Latin Grooves zu Partymusik im Miami Sound mischte. Sie wurde in der zweiten Hälfte der 70er Jahre vor allem durch ihre Hits „That s the Way (I Like… … Deutsch Wikipedia
KC & The Sunshine Band — KC and the Sunshine Band ist eine US amerikanische Discoband aus Florida, die R B mit Funk und Latin Grooves zu Partymusik im Miami Sound mischte. Sie wurde in der zweiten Hälfte der 70er Jahre vor allem durch ihre Hits „That s the Way (I Like… … Deutsch Wikipedia
KC and the Sunshine Band — ist eine US amerikanische Discoband aus Florida, die Contemporary R B mit Funk und Latin Grooves zu Partymusik im Miami Sound mischte. Sie wurde in der zweiten Hälfte der 1970er Jahre vor allem durch ihre Hits Get Down Tonight, That’s the Way (I… … Deutsch Wikipedia