University of Santo Tomas campus life and culture
name = The Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas, the Catholic University of the Philippines
established = 28 April
city = Sampaloc
Calendar of Events
* Misa de Apertura (The Opening Mass for the Academic Year)
* Organizational Fair
* The Thomasian Welcome Walk - (formerly The Rites of Passage) Freshmen pass under the historic Arch of the Centuries as welcome to the university life. The Highlight of the TWW, aside from the symbolyic passing, is the Eucharistic Celebration. Established in 2003. [ [http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=605&Itemid=114] Accessed July 4, 2008.]
* Nutrition Month
* Feast of St. Dominic de Guzman
* Faculty of Arts and Letters Buwan ng Wika
* Advantage Management Week
* Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management Week
UAAP Cheerdance Competition
* College of Rehabilitation Sciences Week
* Medical Technology Week
* College of Commerce Week
* Faculty of Medicine and Surgery Week
* UST Martyrs Week
* Inkblots Campus Journalism Fellowship
* Alfredo M. Velayo College of Accountancy Week
* Theological Week
* College of Fine Arts and Design Week
* Conservatory of Music Week
* College of Nursing Week
* Faculty of Pharmacy Week
* Feast of the Immaculate Conception
* Gawad Ustetika (Ustetika Literary Workshop and Awards) - Taunang Parangal Pampanitikan (annual competition for literary arts). Established in 1959.
* UST Christmas Concert
* UST Paskuhan - Primered by the Eucharistic Celebration, the Paskuhan is the Thomasian way of celebrating Christmas. It is one of the most awaited events of the year showcasing different performances from different student organizations, and live bands, which is complemented with an extravagant show of pyrotechny.
* Faculty of Canon Law Week
* The Thomasian Goodwill Games
* Dangal ng UST Awards - An annual event that honors faculty members who have mead exceptional contribution in the attainment of the mission-vision of the University through their exemplary performance in teaching, research, and community service.
* Feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, Patron Saint of the University
* UST English Week
* Webjam and UST Kalusko Awards - The activity aims to share best practices among e-Leap users and to honor the outstanding achievements of course site developers and implementers. Sponsored by the Educational Technology Center. [http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=1035&year=2008&month=1&day=31&Itemid=106] Accessed August 1, 2008]
* Faculty of Arts and Letters Week
* College of Science Week
* College of Education Week
* Faculty of Engineering Week
* College of Architecture Week
* Hiyas ng UST Awards - annual non-academic employees' (support staff) recognition program. Formally established in 2008. [ The Academia, June 2008 ]
* The USTv Students' Choice Awards on Television - Established in 2005
*Annual UST Inter-School On-the-Spot Painting Competition - [ [http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=294&Itemid=107] Accessed November 3, 2007] This competition has become a springboard for the young emergent artists to breakthrough the spirited world of the local and international art scene. Fine Arts students from Metro Manila including delegates from Bulacan and Cavite participate in the said competition. Established in 1941.
* UST Pautakan - A quiz bee among different colleges and faculties. Established in 1977
* The CineVita Film Festival - A major on-campus film festival organized by the Varsitarian.
* Thomasian Chalk Festival - An inter-school chalk art competition. The university's way of keeping the Western European celebration of "Street Painting" alive. The infusion of different cultures are annually celebrated every February along with the National Arts Month in the stretch of the Arch of the Centuries and the Benavides Monument. [ [http://webservice.mnl.ust.edu.ph/ustmuseum/community.html UST Museum Community] Accessed November 3, 2006.] More than 150 representatives from different schools take part in this event. Established in 2002
* UST Baccalaureate Mass, Ceremony of the Light, and The Sending off Rites
* SOCC-Leadership Training Seminar - a university-wide off-campus event for Thomasian student leaders
University-wide events and traditions
* Salinggawi Dance Troupe University-wide Annual Dance Competition
* Salinggawi Dance Troupe Annual Dance Concert
* Student Rights and Welfare Week - spearheaded by the University Central Student Council.
* Himig Tomasino - Annual showdown of the best chorale groups of the university.
* The National Campus Investigative Journalism Awards
* Career Seminar for Graduating Students (CARSEM)- Seminar series in preparatory activity for the job fair which features lectures on personality development.
* JOBS: The UST Job Fair
* The Search for the Ideal Thomasian Personality - The annual intercollegiate search highlights the values in the Thomasian identity of compassion, competence, and commitment.
* The UST International Students Fair - A fair that showcases the distinct culture of all international students in the University.
* The Sinai Youth Camp - A night of prayer and worhip.
* Freshmen and College Recollections - Part of the University's mission is to holistically develop students to be competent, compassionate professionals, and committed servants of the Church. Through regular recollections, Thomasians are given a different kind of time-out from their classrooms to help them find their spirtual self and God's presence in their souls. Half-day recollections are usually held in the UST Medicine Auditorium while one to three-day long retreats are usually held in the Dominican Retreat House - Calaruega Philippines in Nasugbu, Batangas.
List of University of Santo Tomas people
List of University of Santo Tomas student organizations
* [http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php?option=com_events&Itemid=106 The University of Santo Tomas - Events]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
University of Santo Tomas — Not to be confused with University of St. Thomas. Infobox University name = The Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas The Catholic University of the Philippines latin name = Pontificia et Regalis S. Thomae Aquinatis Universitas Manilana… … Wikipedia
University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Arts and Letters — Infobox University name = UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS Faculty of Arts and Letters established = 1611 University 1896 Faculty of Philosophy and Letters 1926 College of Liberal Arts 1964 Faculty of Arts and Letters (Absorption of the Liberal Arts… … Wikipedia
List of University of Santo Tomas student organizations — Infobox University name = The Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas, the Catholic University of the Philippines established = 28 April 1611 city = Sampaloc state = Manila country = Philippines |This is a list of organizations of the… … Wikipedia
List of University of Santo Tomas people — This is a list of notable students, professors, alumni and honorary degree recipients of the University of Santo Tomas, Manila. The following Thomasians were distinguished in various fields such as public service, religion, literary arts,… … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines Diliman — Not to be confused with University of the Philippines. University of the Philippines Diliman Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Diliman Official seal M … Wikipedia
University of the Philippines, Los Baños — Infobox University name = native name = Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Los Baños motto = Honor and Excellence established = June 18, 1908 (system) March 6, 1909 (campus) type = National university president = Emerlinda R. Roman chancellor = Luis Rey I … Wikipedia
University of Costa Rica — It is the oldest, largest, and most prestigious institution of higher learning in Costa Rica. Approximately 39,000 students attend UCR throughout the year.HistoryThe origins of the University dates back to the establishment of first university in … Wikipedia
Aquinas University — of Legazpi Pamantasang Aquino ng Legazpi Motto Vita Veritatis Et Amoris Ex Gratitudine Motto in English In a Life of Truth and of Love out of Gratitude … Wikipedia
Polytechnic University of the Philippines — This article is about the Polytechnic University of the Philippines. For other meanings, see Polytechnic University of the Philippines (disambiguation). Polytechnic University of the Philippines Politeknikong Unibersidad ng Pilipinas … Wikipedia
De La Salle University — Pamantasang De La Salle Motto Religio, Mores, Cultura Motto in English Religion, Morals, Culture Established 1911 … Wikipedia