Foxton Inclined Plane Trust
The Foxton Inclined Plane Trust is a
waterway societyand a registered charityon the Grand Union Canalat Foxton, Leicestershire, England, UK. It was founded in 1980 to promote the restorationof the Victorian boat liftor inclined plane, a unique and famouspiece of canalhistory.
The Trust runs the
Foxton Canal Museumwhich was opened in 1989 and is also the Trust headquarters, in the former boiler house.
It is campaigning for the full
restorationof the boat lift, and it is a partner in the Foxton Locks Partnership, composed of British Waterways, the Inland Waterways Association, the Old Union Canals Societyand local authorities.
The Foxton Locks Partnership has already obtained £ 1.78 million from the
Heritage Lottery Fundfor preliminary restoration works on the site, including:
*re-watering an arm of the canal
* dredging and repairing the bottom basin
* replacing a missing bridge over the
* improving footpaths for better access to the 8-
The Foxton Inclined Plane was opened in 1900, refurbished between 1909 and 1910, and closed in 1911. It was demolished in 1928.
The Inclined plane is part of a site which includes a
Scheduled Ancient Monumentand a Grade II* listed staircase of locks.
Foxton Lockswith information about Lock staircases, and a section on the Foxton Inclined Plane
List of waterway societies in the United Kingdom
* [http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmenvfru/345/345we19.htm UK Parliament, House of Commons Select Committee on Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Memorandum submitted by the Foxton Inclined Plane Trust]
* [http://www.harborough.gov.uk/dotGov/home.do?crumb=Foxton%20Inclined%20Plane%20Trust&&page_css=xDefault&view_schema=service&view_name=07HDC04056160264&homepage_name=07HDC04056160264&page_name=details Harborough District Council listing for Foxton Inclined Plane Trust]
* [http://www.harboroughmail.co.uk/news/Trust-highly-commended-at-museum.4330714.jp Harborough Mail: Inclined Plane Trust "Highly commended" in the Best Special Category for Leicestershire County Council Renaissance Heritage Awards]
* [http://www.foxtonlocks.com/sections/latest/pressreleases/05_03_23_HLF_boost_for_Foxton.pdf Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £ 1.78 million for Inclined Plane]
* [http://www.foxtonlocks.com/sections/latest/pressreleases/05_09_07_Is_Foxton_one_of_England's_Seven_Wonders.pdf British Waterways Press Release, 7 September 2005: Is Foxton Locks one of England's Seven Wonders?]
* [http://www.waterscape.com/services-directory/4418/foxton-inclined-plane-trust British Waterways' Leisure website "Waterscape" - entry for Foxton Inclined Plane Trust]
* [http://www.british-waterways.org/newsroom/stories/conservation_of_foxtons_famous_inclined_plane_continues.html British Waterways Newsroom - Conservation of Foxton's famous Inclined Plane continues]
* [http://www.waterways.org.uk/Waterways/PrincipalNavigations/FoxtonInclinePlaneUnderRestoration Inland Waterways Association page on the Inclined Plane and the Trust]
* [http://www.communityarchives.org.uk/page_id__526_path__0p2p14p44p.aspx Community Archives - photo of the old inclined plane]
* [http://www.lewinprogs.freeserve.co.uk/canal6.htm Foxton Inclined Plane Boat Lift description]
* [http://www.fipt.org.uk/ Foxton Inclined Plane Trust website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Foxton Locks — (gbmapping|SP691895) are ten canal locks consisting of two staircases each of five locks, located on the Leicester line of the Grand Union Canal about 5 km west of the Leicestershire town of Market Harborough and are named after the nearby… … Wikipedia
Lock (water transport) — Canal lock and lock keeper s cottage on the Aylesbury Arm of the Grand Union Canal at Marsworth in Hertfordshire, England … Wikipedia
List of waterway societies in the United Kingdom — This List of waterway societies in the United Kingdom is a list of links to waterway societies, charities, trusts, associations, clubs and other non governmental waterway organisations, concerned with the restoration, regeneration and use of the… … Wikipedia
Canals of the United Kingdom — The canals of the United Kingdom are a major part of the network of inland waterways in the United Kingdom. They have a colourful history, from use for irrigation and transport, to becoming the focus of the Industrial Revolution, to today s role… … Wikipedia
Grand Union Canal — The Grand Union Canal in England is part of the British canal system. Its main line connects London and Birmingham, stretching for 220 km (137 miles) with 166 locks. [ [http://www.canaljunction.com/canal/grand union.htm Canal Junction: The Grand… … Wikipedia
Stoke Bruerne — Infobox UK place country = England official name = Stoke Bruerne latitude = 52.14241 longitude = 0.91569 civil parish = Stoke Bruerne population = 395 (2001 Census) london distance = convert|64|mi|km|0 shire district = South Northamptonshire… … Wikipedia