- Misery (The Beatles song)
"Misery" Song by The Beatles from the album Please Please Me Released 22 March 1963 Recorded 11 February 1963 Genre Pop rock Length 1:47 Label Parlophone Writer Lennon/McCartney Producer George Martin Please Please Me track listing 14 tracks
- Side one
- "I Saw Her Standing There"
- "Anna (Go to Him)"
- "Ask Me Why"
- "Please Please Me"
- Side two
"Misery" is a song performed by The Beatles on their album Please Please Me. It was co-written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. According to Lennon, "It was kind of a John song more than a Paul song, but it was written together." McCartney was to say: "I don't think either one of us dominated on that one, it was just a hacking job."
In February 1963, Helen Shapiro was Britain's most successful female singer (having first achieved chart success two years earlier at the age of 14) and The Beatles were fifth on the bill as part of her nationwide tour of the United Kingdom. Her artist and repertoire manager, Norrie Paramor, was looking for new material for a country and western album she planned to record in Nashville, Tennessee and suggested that The Beatles compose a song especially for her. "Misery" was started backstage before The Beatles' performance at the King's Hall, Stoke-on-Trent, on 26 January 1963, and later completed at Paul McCartney's Forthlin Road home. At the time, McCartney commented: "We've called it 'Misery', but it isn't as slow as it sounds, it moves along at quite a pace, and we think Helen will make a pretty good job of it." But Paramor considered it unsuitable, and so British singer and entertainer Kenny Lynch, who was on the same tour, recorded it instead (HMV Pop 1136), thus becoming the first artist to cover a Lennon/McCartney composition although he failed to enter the charts with it. In 1973, Lynch appeared in the cover photograph for McCartney's album, Band on the Run.
When The Beatles needed original material for their Please Please Me LP they recorded it themselves, giving its treatment, according to writer Ian MacDonald, "a droll portrait of adolescent self-pity". It was credited to McCartney and Lennon in that order, as were all other Lennon & McCartney originals on the Please Please Me album. The songwriting credit was changed to what would become the more familiar "Lennon/McCartney" for their second album, With The Beatles.
Normal studio multi-track tape speed at the time was 15 ips (inches per second), but “Misery” was recorded at 30 ips, as George Martin intended to personally add piano at a later date, and preferred playing this at half-tempo an octave below.
- British LP: Please Please Me
- American LP: Introducing... The Beatles
- British EP: The Beatles (No. 1)
- John Lennon – rhythm guitar, lead vocal
- Paul McCartney – bass guitar, lead vocal
- George Harrison – lead guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums
- George Martin – piano
- Personnel per MacDonald
Year Artist Release 1963 Kenny Lynch 1976 The Flamin' Groovies Shake Some Action 1993 Eva Braun Unplugged
- "45 Discography for HMV Records - UK - POP series 1001-1617". Global Dog Productions. 2009. http://www.globaldogproductions.info/h/hmv-pop1001-1617.html. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- Badman, Keith (2000). The Beatles Off The Record. London: Omnibus. ISBN 0-7119-7985-5.
- Deming, Mark (2009). "Review of Shake Some Action". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r7355. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- Harry, Bill (1992). The Ultimate Beatles Encyclopedia. London: Virgin Books. ISBN 0-86369-681-3.
- Lewisohn, Mark (1988). The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions. London: Hamlyn. ISBN 0-600-55798-7.
- MacDonald, Ian (2005). Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties (Second Revised Edition ed.). London: Pimlico (Rand). ISBN 1-844-13828-3.
- Miles, Barry (1997). Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now. New York: Henry Holt & Company. ISBN 0-8050-5249-6.
- Sheff, David (2000). All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-25464-4.
- Unterberger, Richie (2009). "Kenny Lynch Biography". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p100146. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
Please Please Me Related articles Songs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
P.S. I Love You (The Beatles song) — P.S. I Love You Original Love Me Do 45 … Wikipedia
Don't Let Me Down (The Beatles song) — Don t Let Me Down Single by The Beatles with Billy Preston A side Get Back … Wikipedia
The Beatles bootleg recordings — are performances by The Beatles that have attained some level of public circulation without being available as a legal release. The term most often refers to audio recordings, but also includes video performances. From the earliest Beatles… … Wikipedia
The Beatles outtakes — The Beatles takes and early versions of songs that have been released are still collectables. Some are very common releases such as The Beatles Anthology . The studio sessions which have been taped when The Beatles were rehearsing are found at… … Wikipedia
The Beatles/Diskografie — Die Diskografie der Beatles weist eine umfangreiche Zahl von veröffentlichten Tonträgern auf. Die folgende Diskografie befasst sich hauptsächlich mit den Veröffentlichungen in Großbritannien und den USA, als den wichtigsten Musikmärkten jener… … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Beatles Anthology (film) — Infobox Film name = The Beatles Anthology (film) imdb id = 0111893 director = Geoff Wonfor Bob Smeaton writer = Bob Smeaton starring = John Lennon Paul McCartney George Harrison Ringo Starr producer = Neil Aspinall Chips Chipperfield music = John … Wikipedia
The Beatles discography — For the discographies of the individual members of The Beatles, see John Lennon discography, Paul McCartney discography, George Harrison discography and Ringo Starr discography. The Beatles discography The Beatles in 1964 Clockwise (from top … Wikipedia
The Beatles (album) — Infobox Album Name = The Beatles Type = studio Artist = The Beatles Border =yes Released = 22 November 1968 Recorded = Abbey Road Studios and Trident Studios 30 May 1968 – 14 October 1968 Genre = Rock, pop, hard rock, folk rock Length = 93:35… … Wikipedia
The Beatles (TV series) — Infobox Television show name =The Beatles caption =A DVD cover of a collection of chapters of the TV series aka = genre =comedy, cartoon series creator =Al Brodax, Sylban Buck writer = director = creat director = developer = presenter = starring … Wikipedia
Boys (The Shirelles song) — Song infobox Name = Boys Artist = The Beatles Album = Please Please Me Released = March 22 1963 (mono) April 26 1963 (stereo) track no = 5 Recorded = February 11 1963 Genre = Rock Length = 2:24 Writer = Luther Dixon/Wes Farrell Label = Parlophone … Wikipedia