businessis sustainable if it has adapted its practices for the use of renewable resources and holds itself accountable for the environmental and human rightsimpacts of its activities. This includes businesses that operate in a socially responsible manner and protect the environment.
Enormous economic and population growth worldwide in the second half of the twentieth century drove the impacts that threaten the health and the world —
ozone depletion, climate change, depletion and fouling of natural resources, and extensive loss of biodiversityand habitat.
The standard approaches in the past to the environmental problems generated by business and industry have been regulatory driven "end-of-the-pipe" remediation efforts. In the 1990s, efforts by governments, NGOs, corporations and investors began to grow substantially to develop awareness and plans for investment into business sustainability.
One critical milestone was the establishment of the
ISO 14000standards whose development came as a result of the Rio Summit on the Environment held in 1992. ISO 14001is the corner stone standard of the ISO 14000series. It specifies a framework of control for an Environmental Management System against which an organization can be certified by a third party. Other ISO 14000Series Standards are actually guidelines, many to help you achieve registration to ISO 14001. They include the following:
*ISO 14004 provides guidance on the development and implementation of environmental management systems
*ISO 14010 provides general principles of environmental auditing (now superseded by ISO 19011)
*ISO 14011 provides specific guidance on audit an environmental management system (now superseded by ISO 19011)
*ISO 14012 provides guidance on qualification criteria for environmental auditors and lead auditors (now superseded by ISO 19011)
*ISO 14013/5 provides audit program review and assessment material.
*ISO 14020+ labeling issues
*ISO 14030+ provides guidance on performance targets and monitoring within an Environmental Management System
*ISO 14040+ covers life cycle issues
Bottom of the Pyramid
Clean Energy Trends
Low carbon economy
Not Just For Profit
Renewable energy commercialization
Renewable energy industry
Sustainable Business Network
The Clean Tech Revolution
Triple Bottom Line
* [http://www.greenlineindex] List of all Green Services
* [http://www.FunPhotoGuys.com/BecomingAGreenBusiness.pdf 9 Steps to Greening Your Business] - a guide that helps businesses learn to go green
* [http://www.erb.umich.edu Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise at the University of Michigan]
* [http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/sge/ Center for Sustainable Global Enterprise at Cornell University]
* [http://www.ceres.org Coalition for Environmentally Responsible Economies]
* [http://www.coopamerica.org Co-op America]
* [http://www.epgsustainability.com Environmental Performance Group] - A US based consulting firm that helps organizations develop environmentally and socially responsible business practices.
* [http://www.internationalbusinessreport.com/main/report.php?page=137&lang=en&id=122357&country_id=0 Grant Thornton International Business Report Energy & Environment survey]
* [http://www.GreenChamberOfCommerce.net National Green Chamber of Commerce]
* [http://www.greenpages.org National Green Pages]
* [http://www.nrdc.org Natural Resources Defense Council]
* [http://www.nbis.org Network for Business Innovation and Sustainability]
* [http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5561#toc State of the World 2008: Innovations for a Sustainable Economy]
* [http://www.sustainablebiz.org Sustainable Business Alliance]
* [http://www.sustainablebusiness.org/ Sustainable Business Institute]
* [http://www.wbcsd.org World Business Council for Sustainable Development]
* [http://www.chatsworthcommunications.com/documents/PRESSRELEASEFOOTSIE100GreenWinnersandGreenWasherssurvey.pdf FOOTSIE 100 Green Winners and Green Washers Survey] - results of a survey carried out by Chatsworth Communications.
* [http://www.earthrightinstitute.com EarthRight Business Institute] - Offers green business certifications to organizations that meet EarthRight standards and offers training for sustainability managers.
* [http://www.rosengreenmeetings.com Orlando Green Meetings]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sustainable Business Network — The Sustainable Business Network is a not for profit organisation in New Zealand. Commonly known as the SBN, the network was created in October 2002 and is a forum for businesses who are interested in sustainable business practice and sustainable … Wikipedia
Sustainable Business 20 - SB20 — A group of stocks that are chosen according to the companies ability to provide products and services while contributing to a sustainable economy. The SB20 are selected yearly by a panel of judges with experience in analyzing sustainable stocks.… … Investment dictionary
sustainable — sus‧tain‧a‧ble [səˈsteɪnəbl] adjective strong enough to continue existing or happening for a long time: • The market wants to see more evidence that price stability is sustainable. * * * sustainable UK US /səˈsteɪnəbl/ adjective ► able to… … Financial and business terms
sustainable competitive advantage — UK US noun [C] ► COMMERCE, MARKETING an advantage that allows a business to be more successful than its competitors over a long period of time: »Companies now recognize that good human resources are as important as products in building a… … Financial and business terms
sustainable growth — ➔ growth … Financial and business terms
sustainable energy — UK US noun [U] ► NATURAL RESOURCES, ENVIRONMENT energy that is produced using the sun, wind, etc., or from crops, rather than using fuels such as oil or coal which cannot be replaced: »The report called on the G7 countries to invest in… … Financial and business terms
sustainable procurement — UK US noun [U] (also green procurement) ENVIRONMENT, NATURAL RESOURCES ► the process by which an organization buys supplies produced in a way that is not harmful to the environment: »The council s purchase of Fairtrade goods is one aspect of its… … Financial and business terms
Business ecology — Business Ecology: Moving beyond Ecology As a Metaphor Current Definitions of Business Ecology The use of the term “business ecology” is not new. Yet, previous conceptualizations of the term have not yielded a meaning that sufficiently represents… … Wikipedia
Business education — involves teaching students the fundamentals, theories, and processes of business. Education in this field occurs at several levels, including secondary education and higher education or university education. Approximately 38% of student enroll in … Wikipedia
Business Alliance for Local Living Economies — The Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE) is a growing North American alliance of nearly 60 fully autonomous local business networks with their own names, missions, and initiatives, representing about 20,000 US and Canadian… … Wikipedia