T-12 antitank gun
2A19 or T-12 is a
Soviet smoothbore100 mm anti-tank gun. It entered service in 1955 replacing the M-1944 BS-3 (D-10) 100 mm field gun. In 1970 it was replaced in production by the 2A29/MT-12 "Rapira" which features a new gun, the 100 mm smoothbore 2A29, as well as a redesigned carriage and gun-shield to protect the crew.
The gun was typically deployed in anti-tank units of armoured and motor rifle regiments to protect flanks against counter-attacks during rapid advances.
The weapon has been superseded by the
2A45 Sprut-B125 mm smoothbore anti-tank gun. Modern western tanks' frontal armour protection is far in excess of what can be penetrated by a 100 mm gun — even using the most modern APFSDSround. For a tank that can maneouvre to take advantage of the enemy's weaknesses this is less of a problem — but for a weapon that is primarily defensive this is a serious problem. Today the T-12 is applied mostly in the role of ordinary artillery, using FRAG-HE shells.
The gun requires a crew of six: commander, driver of the towing vehicle, gun layer, loader, and two ammunition crewmen. When the
MT-LBis used as the transporter (as with the T-12A and MT-12) twenty rounds are typically carried (10 APFSDS, 4 HE-Frag, 6 HEAT). Since the weapon is a smoothbore, all the ammunition is finned for accuracy during flight.
The gun can be fitted with the LO-7 ski for travel across snow or swampy ground.
A new version, the MT-12R, has become available which has a radar sight for engaging targets in poor visibility.
T-12 general characteristics
* Length: 9.48 m (31.10 ft)
* Width: 1.795 m (5.88 ft)
* Height: 1.565 m (5.13 ft)
* Combat weight: 2,750 kg (6,063 lbs)
* Towing vehicle: Ural-375D (6x6)
* Road towing speed: 60 km/h (37 mph)
* Cross-country towing speed: 15 km/h (9.31 mph)
* Traverse: 27° left or right
* Elevation: -6°/+20°
* Gun: 2A19
Smoothbore100 mm (3.93 in)
* Rate of fire: 14 rounds per minute (maximum possible), 10 rounds per minute (maximum likely in the field), 4 to 6 rounds per minute (typical aimed fire)
"Note: penetration numbers for RHA at 90 degrees."
* Round weight: 19.34 kg (42.63 lbs)
* Projectile weight: 5.65 kg (12.45 lbs)
* Muzzle velocity: 1,575 m/s (5,167 ft/s)
* Maximum range: 3,000 m (5,468 yds)
**230 mm at 500 m (9 in at 547 yds)
**180 mm at 2,000m (7 in at 2187 yds)
**140 mm at 3,000 m (5.51 in at 3,281 yds)
* Round weight: 19.9 kg (43.87 lbs)
* Projectile weight: 4.55 kg (10 lbs)
* Muzzle velocity: 1,548 m/s (1,693 yds)
* Round weight: 23.1 kg (51 lbs)
* Projectile weight: 9.5 kg (21 lbs)
* Muzzle velocity: 975 m/s (3,199 ft/s)
* Penetration: 350 mm (13.77 in)
* Round weight: 28.9 kg (63.71 lbs)
* Projectile weight: 16.7 kg (36.81 lbs)
* Muzzle velocity: 700 m/s (2,296 ft/s)
* Maximum range (indirect): 8,200 m (8,968 yds)
;3UBK-12 Kastet 9K117/3UBK10MBeam riding laser guided projectile.
* Round weight: 24.5 kg (54 lbs)
* Projectile weight: 18.4 kg (40.56 lbs)
* Average speed: 300 m/s (984 ft/s)
* Range: 100 - 5,000 m (109 - 5,468 yds)
* Penetration: 550 - 600 mm (21.65 - 23.62 in)
* T-12 - Original version with 2A19 gun.
* T-12A - Improved version - Towing vehicle changed to the
MT-LBu. Road tow speed: 60 km/h, cross country: 25 km/h. Entered service in 1972.
* MT-12 "Rapira" - Features a shield for protecting the crew from machine gun fire and shell splinters. Gun changed to the 2A29 100 mm smoothbore gun. Entered service in 1970.
* MT-12R - Radar sight for engaging targets in a poor visibility environment (smoke/fog).
* - 126 MT-12
* - 12
* - MT-12 Rapira
* (passed on to successor states)
List of artillery
List of military equipment of Croatia
* Hull, A.W. , Markov, D.R. , Zaloga, S.J. (1999). "Soviet/Russian Armor and Artillery Design Practices 1945 to Present". Darlington Productions. ISBN 1-892848-01-5.
* Foss, F. , Christopher, "Artillery of the World"
* USA Today article - http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-03-25-war-zone_x.htm
* 100 mm Ammunition http://www.milparade.com/catalog/pdf/698.pdf
* 100 mm Ammunition http://www.milparade.com/catalog/pdf/697.pdf
* 100 mm Ammunition http://www.milparade.com/catalog/pdf/696.pdf
* MT-12 http://www.milparade.com/catalog/pdf/99.pdf
* "Jane's Armour and Artillery 2005-2006"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
85 mm antitank gun D-48 — Infobox Weapon name=85 mm antitank gun D 48 caption=85 mm antitank gun D 48. origin=USSR type=antitank gun is ranged= is bladed= is explosive= is artillery=yes is vehicle= is UK= service= used by= wars= designer= design date=1948 manufacturer=… … Wikipedia
antitank weapon — Any of several guns, missiles, and mines intended for use against tanks. Land mines, ordinary artillery, and other projectiles were used to destroy tanks in World War I. By World War II antitank guns had been developed; they frequently fired… … Universalium
gun — Synonyms and related words: AA gun, Armstrong, BAR, BB gun, Benet Mercie, Beretta, Big Bertha, Bren, Bren gun, Browning, Cain, Colt, Garand, Garand rifle, Garling, Gatling, Gatling gun, Hotchkiss, Krupp, Lancaster, Lee Enfield, Lee Metford, Lewis … Moby Thesaurus
gun — I (New American Roget s College Thesaurus) n. firearm (see arms). II (Roget s IV) n. 1. [A cannon] Syn. piece, orDNAnce, heavy orDNAnce, rifle. Types of large guns include: long gun, siege gun, howitzer, mortar, antitank gun, culverin, field… … English dictionary for students
antitank — /an tee tangk , an tuy /, adj. Mil. designed for use against tanks or other armored vehicles: antitank gun. [1915 20; ANTI + TANK] * * * … Universalium
gun — I n. 1) to aim; fire; point a gun at smb. 2) to turn a gun on smb. 3) to draw a gun 4) to hold a gun on smb.; to hold a gun to smb. s head 5) to load; unload a gun 6) to man a gun 7) (artillery) to lay ( adjust ) a gun 8) to carry, pack (AE,… … Combinatory dictionary
D-10 tank gun — D 10S gun on an SU 100 tank destroyer Type rifled antitank gun Place of origin Sovi … Wikipedia
85 mm air defense gun M1939 (52-K) — 85 mm air defense gun M1939 (52 К) 52 K in Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin. Type Air defense gun Place of origin … Wikipedia
37 mm Gun M3 — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. M3. 37 мм пушка M3 … Википедия
M6 Gun Motor Carriage — 37 mm Gun Motor Carriage M6 Side view of 37 mm GMC M6. Type Tank destroyer Place of origin … Wikipedia