List of banned books
Many societies have banned certain
books. This is a partial list of books that have been banned.
scriptureshave been banned (and sometimes burned) at several points in history. The Bible, the Qur'an, and other religious scriptures have all been subjected to censorshipand have been banned in various cities and countries. In Medieval Europe, the Roman Catholic Churchcreated a program that lasted until 1966 to deal with dissenting printed opinion; it was called the " Index Librorum Prohibitorum" (index of prohibited books). Over the years many books based on the scriptures have also been banned, such as Leo Tolstoy's " The Kingdom of God is Within You", which was banned in Russia for being anti-establishment.
Books deemed critical of the state or its interests are another common target for banning.
Books that deal with criminal matter have also been subjected to
censorship. Small-press titles that have become infamous by being banned include " The Anarchist Cookbook," and "Hit Man."
In the four-volume series "Banned Books", [cite book
title=Banned Books 4 Book Set
publisher=Facts on File
isbn=0816067791] the volumes were divided by grounds for banning: political, religious, sexual and social. The first three are often cited together as
tabooin polite conversation.
Notably, children's books that deal with death or other
teenage angstor various crimes often find themselves banned perhaps because of parental worries about teenage suicideor copycat crimes. Many publications are targeted on the premise that children would be corrupted by reading them. This fear led to the creation of the Comics Code Authorityin 1954.
List of banned books
Areopagitica: A speech of Mr John Milton for the liberty of unlicensed printing to the Parliament of England"
International Freedom of Expression Exchange
List of authors and works listed on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum
List of banned authors during the Third Reich
List of banned writers
* List of controversial books
List of most commonly challenged books in the U.S.
* [http://www.bannedmagazine.com www.bannedmagazine.com, the journal of censorship and secrecy]
* [http://freedomtoread.ca/censorship_in_canada/challenged_books.asp List of books challenged in Canada]
* [http://mplib.org/bannedbooks.asp Minneapolis Public Library: Banned Books Week]
* [http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/spok/most-banned.html The most frequently banned books in the early 1990s]
* [http://www.harperchildrens.com/features/banned.htm HarperCollins books that have been challenged]
* [http://www.judyblume.com/censors.html Judy Blume talks about censorship]
* [http://www.judyblume.com/articles/places-intro.html Original stories by censored writers]
* [http://www.pelhamlibrary.blogspot.com Fahrenheit 451 Banned Book Blog: comprehensive list of links]
* [http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/banned-cartoons/ Banned cartoons]
* [http://www.ala.org/bbooks/bannedbookslinks.html Links related to Banned Books Week and book burning]
* [http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/banned-books.html Banned books online]
* [http://www.forbiddenlibrary.com/ The Forbidden Library: Banned and Challenged Books]
* [http://www.brookesnews.com/060708fontova_print.html Castro and the ACLU v Miami's Book 'Ban'] , by
Humberto Fontova, author of "", 8 August 2006
* [http://easyfunbooks.blogspot.com/2007/09/banned-books-week-sep-29-to-oct-6.html American Library Association's list of 100 most frequently challenged books (1990–2000)]
* [http://www.beaconforfreedom.org/about_database/south%20africa.html Beacon For Freedom of Expression's list of 14,499 South African banned books and newspapers 1950 - 1994]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of fictional books — A fictional book is a non existent book created specifically for (i.e. within) a work of fiction. This is not a list of works of fiction (i.e., actual novels, mysteries, etc), but rather imaginary books that do not actually exist.UsesSuch a book… … Wikipedia
List of Goosebumps books — This is a list of books from the Goosebumps book series written by R. L. Stine and published by Scholastic. The first book, Welcome to Dead House was published in July of 1992. Various spin off series were written by Stine, including Goosebumps… … Wikipedia
List of banned films — For nearly the entire history of film production, certain films have been either boycotted by political and religious groups or literally banned by a regime for political or moral reasons. Paradoxically, banning a movie often completely fails to… … Wikipedia
List of banned writers — This is a category of articles on writers some or all of whose works have been banned at some time. Note: if a writer appears on this list, it does not mean they are banned at this time.A through E* Abbie Hoffman * Adolf Hitler * Alan Paton *… … Wikipedia
Banned Books Week — is an awareness campaign, sponsored annually by the American Library Association (ALA), the American Booksellers Association, American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression, American Society of Journalists and Authors, Association of… … Wikipedia
Banned books in Iran — Since the Islamic Revolution of Iran in 1979, the constitution of Iran doesn’t clearly recognize the freedom of expression: ‘the press is free to express their opinion, unless it is against the foundation of Islam or rights of the people, and the … Wikipedia
List of authors and works on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum — This is a list of authors and works listed on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum . The Index was abolished on June 14th 1966 by Pope Paul VI. [Cambridge University on Index. [http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/starry/galbooks.html] ] A complete list of the… … Wikipedia
List of pornography laws by country — Pornography laws differ widely from region to region. Below is a brief summary of pornography restrictions, sorted by country: Australia Technically it is illegal to sell or rent X rated material in all states of Australia, but it is not illegal… … Wikipedia
List of controversial non-fiction books — This is a list of controversial non fiction books aimed at the general reader which discuss controversial issues, or have been (or were at the time of writing) discussed for other reasons. For controversial fictional books, see list of banned… … Wikipedia
List of authors banned during the Third Reich — These authors are a selection from the prohibitions lists during the Nazi Third Reich and come from the following lists and others: # List of damaging and undesirable writing, Liste des schädlichen und unerwünschten Schrifttums , December 31,… … Wikipedia