List of palaces in Egypt
Egyptcontains a large number of palaces, dating from the time of the Pharaohs, through the Romans, Fatimids, Mammlouks, and the modern Egyptian kingdom.
List (by approximate year of construction)
* 1500s BC Unknown king palace, Naqada [Naqada palace [http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/naqada/ballaspalace.html] ]
1400s BC Palace of Amenhotep IIIin Malkata(or Malqata) in Luxor.
* 1346 BC
Amarnapalaces of Pharaoh Akhenaten, in al-Minya
* 1300s BC
Amenhotep IIIpalace at Avaris( Pi-Ramesses), in Eastern desert.
* 1200s BC Palace of the Pharaoh
Merenptahin Memphis, Egypt. [Photo of preserved parts of the palace. [http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/exhibits/galleries/merenptah.html] ]
* 1200s BC Palace of
Rameses II, Ramesseum, LuxorPhoto of the palace remains [http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=6336076] ]
* 1200s BC Palace of
Rameses II, Fayoum[ [http://touregypt.net/who/ramessen.htm touregypt.net - Ramesses Nebweben] ]
* 1175 BC The Temple & Palace of
Rameses IIIat Medinet Habu, Egypt
* 500s BC Palace of Wahibre (
Apries) in Memphis, Egypt[Palace of Apries, background information [http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/memphis/palaceback.html] ] [Pharaoh Apries Wahibre [http://formerthings.com/hophra.htm] ] .
* Circa 100s BC
The Ptolemaic palacein what is now Silsiladistrict in AlexandriaCleopatra palace [http://www.authenticwonders.com/Alexandria/History/legacy.html] ]
* 50s BC
Caesarium palacewhich was built by Cleopatrain honor of Julius Caesarin Alexandria]
* 50s BC
Antirrhodus island palace, was erected off of Alexandria's mainland in the Eastern Harbour.(later on was submerged by sea)]
* 100 AD Roman palace at El Haiz area in the
Bahariya Oasis, western desert. [The Bahariya Oasis history [http://archaeology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=archaeology&cdn=education&tm=38&gps=292_422_1276_598&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//touregypt.net/featurestories/haiz.htm] ]
* 870 AD
Ahmad ibn TulunPalace at al-Qatta'iin Old Cairo[Old Cairo history. [http://www.sis.gov.eg/En/Pub/magazin/summer2006/110231000000000022.htm] ] .
* 1100s AD
Fatimidpalaces (Eastern & Western) at Khan El-Khalilyarea at Old Cairo. [Palaces of Pasha [http://www.seenation.com/view_full_news_details.php?newsid=8518&title=Palaces+of+Pashas] ] [Fatimid palaces [http://web.mit.edu/4.615/www/handout04.htm] ] [Plan of the two Fatimid palaces [http://web.mit.edu/4.615/www/images/3011.htm] ] [Part of the palace art [http://www.museumwnf.net/database_item.php?id=object;ISL;eg;Mus01;25;en] ]
Ayyubiddynasty palace. [History of Cairo [http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/dept/d10/asb/anthro2003/legacy/egypt/cairo_overview.html] ] .
* 1200s Sultan al-Salih palace in Rodah island in Nile in Cairo. [The Mamluk Sultans [http://www.alazhr.com/lib/A%20Millennium%20of%20Muslim%20Learing/ch%20III.htm] ] [Plan of the Sultan al-Salih palace [http://web.mit.edu/lalalu/MacData/afs.course.4/4.615/www/images/3026.htm] ]
* 1200s The Ablaq Palace of
Al-Nasir Mohamed Ibn Qalawun, in Old Cairo.Palaces of Pashas [http://www.seenation.com/view_full_news_details.php?newsid=8518&title=Palaces+of+Pashas] ]
Amir Khayrbak Palaceor Amir Alin Aq Palaceat Bab al-Wazir Street, Tabbana Quarter, Old Cairo. [Amir Alin Aq Palace [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7431] ] [Reviving Cairo [http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2007/869/eg3.htm] ] [Ruins of Palace [http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/khayrbak.htm] ] [Photo of passage [http://web.mit.edu/4.615/www/images/3050.htm] ] [The Madrasa-Mosque of Amir Khayerbak (1520-21) [http://web.mit.edu/4.615/www/handout13.htm] ]
* 1300s Palace of Manjak al Yusufi al Silahdar, Cairo Egypt [Palace of Mangak as-Silahdar, [http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=8016] ] .
* 1330 Amir Qawsun Palace (Qawsoun Yashbak min Mahdi) in Cairo, Egypt [Amir Qawsun Palace [http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=3532] ]
Beshtak PalaceBestak Palace museum [http://www.egyptianmuseums.net/html/the_beshtak_palace.html] ]
Amir TazPalace in Cairo Egypt [The Mameluke Amir Taz Palace history [http://egyptology.blogspot.com/2007/10/lured-to-house-of-taz.html] ] [Amir Taz Palace [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7984] ]
* 1366 Palace of Emir
Tashtamur(Hummus Akhdar) in Cairo, Egypt [Princ e Tashtamur palace [http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7983] ]
* 1400s The Ghouri Palace [Al Ghouri palace [http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/762/cu6.htm] ] [Insert Al-Ghouri Palace [http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/1999/420/special.htm] ]
* 1496 Amir Mamay Palace (Bait al-Qady) [Bait al-Qady [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7933] ]
Bayt Al-Razzaz palaceor Palace of al-Ashraf Qaytbay. Darb Al-Ahmer. [Palace of al-Ashraf Qaytbay [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=3329] ]
* 1634 House of Gamal al-Din al-Dhahabi, Al-Ghoureya [Jamal al Din al Dhahabi House [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7426 archnet.org - Gamal al-Din al-Dhahabi] ]
* 1700s Kasr Alaini (later became
Cairo Universityhospital) [El-Aini Palace [http://www.eaims.net/Kasr_Alaini.htm] ]
* 1731 Harawi Residence [ [http://web.mit.edu/akpia/www/AKPsite/4.239/harawi/harawi.html Harawi residence] ] [Historic houses in Cairo [http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0012/001229/122989e.pdf] ]
Al Musafir Khana Palace(Kasr El Chok), at al-Jamaliyya, Old Cairo [Musafirkhana Palace [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=3527] ] .Birth place of Khedive Ismail. [Musafirkhana Palace or Qasr el-Shook [http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2759257-musafirkhana_palace_cairo-i;_ylc=X3oDMTFka28zOGNuBF9TAzI3NjY2NzkEX3MDOTY5NTUzMjUEc2VjA3NzcC1kZXN0BHNsawN0aXRsZQ--] ] [Description of the Palace [http://www.touregypt.net/musafirkhana.htm] ] It was destructed by fire in 1998 [Destruction of Musafirkhana Palace [http://mideastnews.com/CAIRO23.htm] ]
* 1790s Mohammed Bey al-Alfi Palace (where Napoleon lived during his Egyptian campgain) [Historic houses & palaces [http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0012/001229/122989e.pdf] ] .
* 1794 Al-Sinnari House (Palace). Now a museum. [Al-Sinnari House [http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7425] ] [Historic houses in Cairo [http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7425] ]
Bulaq palaceof Ismail Pasha in Giza [ [http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6561 Egypttoday.com - Cultural Cairo] ]
Mena House palacebuilt by Khedive Ismail, at Giza near pyramids.
Kasr al-Nozha, the Cattaui (Egyptian Jewish industrialist) palace in Shubra [ [http://www.hsje.org/The%20House%20oof%20Yacoub%20Cattaui.html hsje.org] ]
Kasr al-Incha(now the ministry of defense). [http://www.egy.com/landmarks/97-12-25.shtml Palaces on the nile] ]
Kasr Kamal al-Din(former residence of the ministry of foreign affairs)
Zaafarana palace(now the Ain Shams Universityadministration building) [ [http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/Day/050506/2005050634.html arabicnews.com - The History of Zaafarama palace] ]
* 1800s Medhat Yegen Pasha's palace, Garden city, Cairo.(Demolished now) [ [http://www.egy.com/landmarks/98-08-20.shtml GARDEN CITY : A Retrospective PART II, August 20, 1998 ] ]
Mahmoud Sami el-Baroudipalace in Giza now Demolished [ [http://touregypt.net/teblog/egyptologynews/?p=2876 Egyptology news] ]
Kasr al-Mounirathat became the French archeological center (IFAO).
Kasr al-Amira Iffet Hassanthat was later purchased by Princess Shuvekar Ibrahim before becoming the official seat of the council of ministers.
El-Walda Pasha palace(now demolished).
Muhammad Ali's Shubra Palace(Ain Shams faculty of agriculture) [ [http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/alipalace.htm touregypt.net] ]
* 1827 Harem Palaces at the Citadel of Cairo.(now the Military museum) [Harem palace at Citadel [http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=3325] ]
Kasr al-Ismailia. Now abolished it was in the area of the Mogama El-Tahrir government complex.
Khairy Pasha palacewas minister of education. (It became the campus of the American University in Cairoin the 1920s) [ [http://www.washjeff.edu/content.aspx?section=3641&menu_id=709&crumb=652&id=9694] & [http://catalog.aucegypt.edu/content.php?catoid=4&navoid=63] ]
Al-Gawhara Palaceat Cairo citadel
Kasr al-Nil(now demolished but the area in downtown Cairo still carries its name)
Gezirah Palace(now a private hotel) [ [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=3584 archnet.org - Gezirah palace] ]
Abdeen Palace- former royal residence, Cairo
* 1897 Count Gabriel Habib
El-SakakiniPasha Palace at Old Cairo[ [http://www.egy.com/landmarks/97-04-05.shtml egy.com - Sakakaini palace] ] [ [http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=8558 Habib Sakakini Palace ] ]
* 1898 Anisa Wissa Palace,
Fayoum. [ [http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/1998/383/fe1.htm Al-Ahram Weekly | A constructive streak ] ]
* 1899 Prince
Mohammed Ali Tewfikpalace (now the Manyal Palacemuseum) [ [http://www.sis.gov.eg/En/Arts&Culture/Museums/GeneralMuseums/070301000000000007.htm Egypt State Information Service] ]
* late 1800s
Koubbeh Palace, El-Quba[ [http://www.egy.com/landmarks/00-02-03.shtml egy.com - Koubbeh palace] ]
Fouad Serageddin Pasha'spalace, Garden city.
EL-Dobara palace(now a government school)
Tahra palace, El-Zayton [ [http://www.egy.com/landmarks/99-06-10.shtml egy.com - Tahra palace] ]
* 1901 The Palace of
Saad ZaghloulPasha (Beit El-Omma Museum) [ [http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=7943 Cultural Cairo]
Baron Empainpalace [ [http://www.egy.com/community/95-05-13.shtml egy.com - The Belgians of Egypt] ]
Egyptian Presidential Palace, Heliopolis, Cairo [ [http://www.egy.com/landmarks/98-03-19.shtml egy.com - Heliopolis Palace Hotel] ]
Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil palace(now a museum) [ [http://www.sis.gov.eg/En/Arts&Culture/Museums/PlasticArtsMuseums/070302000000000001.htm Egypt State Information Service - Mohammed Mahmoud Khalil Museum] ]
Prince Amru Ibrahim palace, Zamalek(now the Museum of Islamic ceramics) [ [http://www.egyptsites.co.uk/lower/cairo/museums/islamic.html egyptsites.co.uk] ]
* 1924 Kurmet Ibn Hani' (
* Unknown Prince Said Halim Pasha Palace in Down town Cairo. [ [http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6858 et - Full Story ] ]
* Unknown Prince Yousef Kamal Palace at Ain Shams district, now Desert research intitute.
Montaza Palace, Alexandria
Ras Al-Teen Palace, Alexandria
* Qaroun Palace (Qasr Qaroun) is actually a Ptolemaic temple.
* Hatshepsut's Palace is actually Deir el-Bahri Hatshepsut's temple
* [http://www.egy.com/landmarks/97-12-25.shtml egy.com - List of palaces on the Nile]
* [http://www.seenation.com/view_full_news_details.php?newsid=8518&title=Palaces+of+Pashas Palaces of Pashas]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of palaces — This is a list of palaces by country. For main article please see palace Afghanistan * Darul Aman Palace * Tajbeg Palace Argentina * Casa Rosada Presidential residence in Buenos Aires * San Martin Palace Austria * Belvedere Palace former summer… … Wikipedia
List of buildings and structures — This is a list of buildings and nonbuilding structures.TOCright By type *List of abbeys and priories *List of amphitheatres (contemporary) *List of amphitheatres (Roman) *List of ancient pyramids *List of ancient Roman triumphal arches *List of… … Wikipedia
List of castles — The List of castles is a link page for any castle in the sense of a fortified building.AlbaniaArmeniaAustriaBelarus BelgiumBrazil* Castelo do Barão J. Smith de Vasconcellos *Castelo de São Jorge da Mina * Castelo de Pedras Altas *Castelo do… … Wikipedia
Egypt, ancient — Introduction civilization in northeastern Africa dating from the 3rd millennium BC. Its many achievements, preserved in its art and monuments, hold a fascination that continues to grow as archaeological finds expose its secrets. This article… … Universalium
List of Chinese inventions — A bronze Chinese crossbow mechanism with a buttplate (the wooden components have … Wikipedia
List of sultans of the Ottoman Empire — Ottoman Imperial Standard Sultan of the Ottoman Empire Former Monarchy … Wikipedia
List of Marvel Family enemies — Through his adventures, Fawcett Comics/DC Comics superhero Captain Marvel and his Marvel Family gained a host of enemies, including the following: Contents 1 Acrobat 2 Adolf Hitler 3 Amoeba Family … Wikipedia
List of World Heritage Sites in danger — These are thirty sites which the UNESCO World Heritage Committee has decided to include on a list of World Heritage Sites in danger; this list also shows the year in which the World Heritage committee added the site to this… … Wikipedia
List of Biblical names — This is a list of names from the Bible, mainly taken from the 19th century public domain resource: : Hitchcock s New and Complete Analysis of the Holy Bible by Roswell D. Hitchcock, New York: A. J. Johnson, 1874, c1869.Each name is given with its … Wikipedia
List of World Heritage Sites in Africa — This is a list of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in sub Saharan Africa. Madeira, the Canaries are to be found in the list for Europe (the first two) or for Arab states. St Helena although being remote from Africa is included in this list as… … Wikipedia