Fuqua School of Business
Fuqua School of Business Established 1969 Type Private Dean Bill Boulding Postgraduates 902 full time MBA
562 executive MBA
Doctoral students 82  Location Durham, North Carolina, United States Affiliations Duke University Website www.fuqua.duke.edu
The Fuqua School of Business is the business school of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, United States. It currently enrolls 1,340 students in degree-seeking programs. These programs include the Daytime Master of Business Administration (MBA), the Global Executive MBA, the Cross Continent MBA, the Weekend Executive MBA, Master of Management Studies: Foundations of Business, Master of Management in Clinical Informatics (MMCi), Master of Management Studies (in partnership with the Seoul National University), joint degree programs (including joint degrees in medicine, law, environmental management, forestry, public policy, and nursing), and a Ph.D. program. Additionally, Duke Executive Education and Duke Corporate Education offer non-degree business education and professional development programs.
Formed in 1969, the graduate school enrolled its first class of 20 students in 1970. In 1974, Thomas F. Keller, a 1953 Duke graduate, became the graduate school's new dean. In three years, Keller's capital campaign raised $24 million, $10 million of which came from businessman and philanthropist J.B. Fuqua. The graduate school's name was then changed to The Fuqua School of Business.
J.B. Fuqua was raised by his grandparents on a tobacco farm in Prince Edward County, Virginia. Fuqua began his relationship with Duke University when he borrowed books by mail from the Duke library. J.B. Fuqua's cumulative giving to Duke was nearly $40 million at the time of his death on April 5, 2006.
Admission to the Daytime MBA program is very competitive. For the Class of 2012, 24% of all applicants were accepted. Fuqua enrolls a highly diverse class (e.g. for the class of 2012, 39% of the class are international students and 30% of the class are women). The average GMAT score for the most recent incoming class was 697.
The school's faculty is organized into ten disciplines, including Accounting, Decision Sciences, Economics, Finance, Management, Health Sector Management, Management Communication, Marketing, Operations Management, and Strategy. The daytime MBA program offers concentrations in Decision Sciences, Energy and Environment, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Finance, Financial Analysis, Leadership and Ethics, Management, Marketing, Operations Management, Social Entrepreneurship, and Strategy. The faculty was ranked No.1 in the US by BusinessWeek (Intellectual Capital) in 2010.J
While working at Duke University, former Professor Robert E. Whaley developed the Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index (ticker symbol: VIX), a measure of the implied market volatility.
The Duke MBA offers several joint degree programs in conjunction with other highly respected graduate and professional programs at Duke. These programs allow students to earn two degrees in less time than if they pursued the two separately.
Joint degrees offered with Duke University School of Medicine, Duke University School of Law, Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy, and the Duke University School of Nursing.:
Research centers at The Fuqua School of Business further specific academic interests of the business school. Such research centers include:
- The Fuqua/Coach K Center of Leadership & Ethics (COLE) – COLE was established as a collaboration between Fuqua, Duke Athletics and The Kenan Institute for Ethics to advance leadership through research and education.
- Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) – The center promotes innovative and entrepreneurial approaches to improving social conditions through education and research.
- Emergent Consumer Markets Initiative (ECMI) – Part of Fuqua's Center for Consumer Goods, ECMI aims to conduct and nurture academic research on the marketing of consumer goods in economies characterized by rapid growth in consumption and industrialization.
- Duke/Synovate Center for Shopper Insights – A second arm of Fuqua's Center for Consumer Goods, the Duke/Synovate Center for Shopper Insights focuses on advancing research in shopper decision making, identifying ways to create demand generation through the shopping experience, and providing an integrated view of consumer and shopper marketing.
- Center for Technology, Entertainment and Media (CTEM) – CTEM prepares next-generation leaders for emergent technology-related challenges and opportunities and assists organizations in creating competitive advantages within the industries of technology, entertainment, and media through the expertise of industry decision-makers and academic thought leaders.
- The Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) – Duke's CIBER incorporates international content into Fuqua courses, hosts workshops and conferences and promotes international research. It is also the lead research center involved in the Offshoring Research Network, an international network that studies the offshore sourcing of business processes and services.
- Center of Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI) – Fuqua created this center to advance scholarship in the areas of entrepreneurship and innovation, with the goal of creating one of the top environments for students interested in entrepreneurship. 
- Center for Energy, Development and the Global Environment (EDGE) – EDGE pursues education, research, and outreach focusing on two primary topical areas: Global Energy and Corporate Sustainability. Through education, research, and engagement, EDGE identifies the most promising pathways toward a sustainable energy system and economy, works with leading firms to drive these innovations across their value chains, and helps seed the partnerships that can accelerate these transformations.
- Center for Financial Excellence- The Center for Financial Excellence supports financial research and education at Duke, with particular emphasis on strengthening relationships between faculty, students, and finance professionals.
Some research shows that students studying business describe themselves as being academically dishonest more often than students pursuing other types of degrees. To address such concerns, the school instituted an extensive honor code. At the end of the 2006–2007 academic year, Fuqua initiated a disciplinary action that was taken against 34 of the school's first-year MBA students — almost 10% of the school's 2008 class — for cheating on an open-book, take-home final exam. The Fuqua Judicial Board ruled in late April 2007 that 9 students should be expelled and 15 students receive a one-year suspension and a failing grade in the course. Nine others received a failing grade in the course and one student received a failing grade on an exam. All convictions and penalties were upheld by the school's appeals committee.
The 2011 Forbes full-time MBA rankings indicated that Fuqua graduates achieved the 12th highest average salary following graduation for the class of 2010.
For the graduating, full-time MBA Class of 2011, the top three hiring companies include: Deloitte (33 hires), McKinsey & Co. (16 hires), and The Boston Consulting Group (14 hires).
The daytime MBA program at The Fuqua School of Business was ranked:
- 6th in the U.S. by BusinessWeek in 2010
- 10th in the U.S. and 20th in the World by The Financial Times in 2011
- 10th in the U.S. by Poets&Quants in 2010
- 10th in North America by QS Global 200 Business Schools Report in 2010
- 12th in the U.S. by U.S. News and World Report in 2011
- 13th in the U.S. and 20th in the World by The Economist in 2011
The daytime MBA program at The Fuqua School of Business also has the following rankings based on each respective category:
- 1st within the intellectual capital category by BusinessWeek in 2010
- 2nd in the world by University of Texas at Dallas Top 100 World Rankings of Business Schools Based on Research in 2010
- 6th "Toughest To Get Into" and 10th for "Best Classroom Experience" in the U.S. by Princeton Review, The 2010 Edition: The Best 301 Business Schools
- 10th in the U.S. News and World Report ranking of U.S. "Business Schools That Receive the Most Full-Time Applications" in 2011
- 12th in the U.S. by Forbes in 2011 based on ROI
Duke Corporate Education, a carve-out of the Executive Education program at The Fuqua School of Business, was ranked:
- 1st in the world by the Financial Times in 2011 for its customized non-degree executive education programs
- 1st in the world by BusinessWeek in 2010 for its customized executive education programs
The Executive MBA program at The Fuqua School of Business was ranked:
- 4th in the U.S. by U.S. News and World Report in 2011
- 5th out of schools with a U.S. presence and 9th in the world by the Financial Times in 2010
- 10th in the U.S. by BusinessWeek in 2010
- 10th in North America by the 2010 QS Global 200 Business Schools Report
- 10th in the U.S. by the Wall Street Journal in 2008
- Harsha V. Agadi (M.B.A. 1987), CEO and Chairman, Friendly's; Former President and CEO, Church's Chicken;
- John A. Allison IV (M.B.A. 1974), Chairman (and Former CEO), BB&T;
- Kerrii Anderson (Weekend Executive M.B.A. 1987), Former CEO and President, Wendy's International, Inc.;
- Jack O. Bovender Jr. (M.H.A. 1969), Former Chairman and CEO, HCA;
- Jonathan Browning (Global Executive M.B.A. 1997) U.S. CEO, Volkswagen Group of America
- Jessica Faye Carter (J.D. 2002, M.B.A. 2002), author, columnist, social media entrepreneur.
- Timothy D. Cook (M.B.A. 1988), CEO, Apple Inc.;
- Thomas Finke (M.B.A. 1991), Chairman and CEO, Babson Capital Management;
- Lennie Friedman, NFL football player
- Melinda Gates (A.B. 1986, M.B.A. 1987), Co-Founder of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, wife of Bill Gates;
- Eric E. Haas (M.S., M.B.A. 1993), CEO of Altruist Financial Advisors LLC;
- Hank Halter (M.B.A. 1993), CFO of Delta Air Lines;
- W. Bruce Johnson (B.A., J.D., M.B.A. 1977), Interim Chief Executive Officer and President, Sears Holdings Corporation;
- Timothy Kasbe (M.B.A. 2000), Chief Information Officer, Intrexon;
- L. Kevin Kelly (M.B.A 1999), CEO of Heidrick and Struggles;
- Jeffrey Kip (M.B.A. 1999), CFO of Panera Bread;
- Michael Lamach (MS, Global Executive M.B.A. 2001), President, Chairman, and CEO, Ingersoll Rand;
- J. Richard Leaman III (B.A. 1984, M.B.A. 1986), Former Chairman and Global Head of Investment Banking, UBS;
- Ron Nicol (M.B.A. 1986), Senior Partner and Managing Director, Boston Consulting Group;
- John C. Pope (M.B.A. 1999), COO, O'Neill Wetsuit
- Frank Riddick III (M.B.A. 1980), Former CEO, Formica Corporation;
- Mark Rosenbaum (M.B.A. 1987), Chief Financial Officer, MySpace;
- Dr. Phil Schubert (Cross Continent M.B.A. 2006), President, Abilene Christian University;
- Ahmad Sharaf (Global Executive M.B.A. 2001), Chairman, Dubai Mercantile Exchange (DME);
- Malvinder Mohan Singh (M.B.A. 1998), Chairman, Religare Enterprises Limited, currently shares the title as 15th richest man in India;
- Shivinder Mohan Singh (M.B.A. 2000), Managing Director, Fortis Healthcare Limited, currently shares the title as 15th richest man in India;
- Sam A. Solomon (M.B.A. 1992), President and CEO, Coleman Company;
- Terry Thompson (M.B.A. 1999), COO of Mercer;
- John C. Walters (Weekend Executive M.B.A. 1994), President & COO, Hartford Life;
- Pamela J. White (M.B.A. 1988), CFO, Victoria's Secret;
- List of United States business school rankings
- List of business schools in the United States
- ^ a b c "Fuqua School of Business". Full Time MBA Profiles. Business Week. 24 October 2011. http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/fuqua.html.
- ^ http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/about/leadership/jb_fuqua/
- ^ http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2010/01/kunshan.html
- ^ http://dukechronicle.com/article/fuqua-applications-buck-national-trend
- ^ http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke_mba/daytime/
- ^ Middleton, Diana (February 11, 2011). "B-Schools Struggle to Get Global". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704132204576136250177325080.html.
- ^ a b c http://www.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/bs_2010_US_FTMBA_TAB_1111.html
- ^ http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1296743
- ^ http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/other_programs/joint_degree_programs/
- ^ https://www.vault.com/images/pdf/samples/Fuqua%20School%20of%20Business.pdf
- ^ http://www.maxxassociates.com/casestudies.pdf
- ^ http://dukechronicle.com/article/fuqua-creates-coach-k-ethics-center
- ^ http://www.alisonlevine.com/Leadership/coach_k_center/
- ^ tp://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/fuqua-coach-k-leadership-conference/id420483384
- ^ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Center-for-the-Advancement-of-Social-Entrepreneurship-at-Duke-University/21635307861
- ^ http://www.impactalliance.org/ev_en.php?ID=22738_201&ID2=DO_TOPIC
- ^ http://www.justmeans.com/5-Great-MBA-Programs-for-Social-Entrepreneurship/26644.html
- ^ http://cci.som.yale.edu/cici2011/papers
- ^ http://www.synovate.com/news/article/2011/01/synovate-and-duke-university-partner-to-create-duke-synovate-shopper-insights-center-for-leadership-and-innovation.html
- ^ http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=142264
- ^ http://dukechronicle.com/article/fuqua-partner-synovate
- ^ http://ondemand.duke.edu/video/28156/center-for-technology-entertai
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcdqEuZvCgw
- ^ http://www.trainingmag.com/article/having-fun-while-learning-so-lo-mo
- ^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offshoring_Research_Network
- ^ http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/ciber/faculty/research.aspx
- ^ http://www.conference-board.org/press/pressdetail.cfm?pressid=4106
- ^ http://sites.google.com/site/dukep4e/
- ^ http://howierhee.blogspot.com/2010/01/greetings-prospective-fuqua-students.html
- ^ http://www.revupinnovation.com/2011/04/rev-up-innovation-at-duke-university/
- ^ http://today.duke.edu/2010/09/EDGE.html
- ^ http://dukechronicle.com/article/fuqua-launches-initiative-address-global-energy-demand
- ^ http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101108006671/en/Ingersoll-Rand-Creates-Advisory-Council-Sustainability
- ^ http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/news_events/releases/seth_gardner/#.TlqHvKhwaSo
- ^ http://dukechronicle.com/article/gardner-lead-center-financial-excellence
- ^ http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/news/blogpost/6940382/
- ^ http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/6364041/article-CAMPUS-BRIEFS
- ^ http://softwaresecure.typepad.com/multiple_choice/files/mba_cheaters_article.pdf
- ^ http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/apr2007/bs20070430_110466_page_2.htm
- ^ http://blog.clearadmit.com/2010/11/trivia-tuesday-honor-codes-at-tuck-yale-som-and-dukefuqua-4/
- ^ http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/apr2007/bs20070430_110466.htm
- ^ http://dukechronicle.com/article/convicted-fuqua-case-cry-out
- ^ a b "Best Business Schools". Forbes. August 5, 2009. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/95/best-business-schools-11_land.html.
- ^ https://www.fuquaworld.duke.edu/cmcfiles/DukeMBAAug15PreliminaryEmploymentStats2010-11.pdf
- ^ http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings-2011
- ^ "Top 25 MBA programs in the U.S". CNN. December 15, 2010. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/pf/college/1012/gallery.mba_rankings_business_school.fortune/10.html.
- ^ http://poetsandquants.com/2010/12/14/poetsquants-top-100-mba-programs-in-the-u-s/3/
- ^ http://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/top-business-schools-report-2010/regions/top-business-schools-in-north-america
- ^ http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings
- ^ http://www.economist.com/whichmba/full-time-mba-ranking
- ^ http://som.utdallas.edu/top100Ranking/searchRanking.php?t=w
- ^ http://www.princetonreview.com/DukeUniversityFuquaSchoolofBusiness.aspx
- ^ http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/articles/2011/07/26/10-business-schools-that-receive-the-most-full-time-applications
- ^ http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/95/best-business-schools-11_land.html
- ^ http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/executive-education-customised-2011
- ^ http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings
- ^ http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/executive
- ^ http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/emba-rankings-2010
- ^ http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/executive_mba_profiles/fuqua.html
- ^ "QS Global 200 Business Schools Report 2010, North America". http://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/top-business-schools-report-2010/regions/top-business-schools-in-north-america.
- ^ "Duke University". The Wall Street Journal. October 1, 2008. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122211710951164457.html?mod=article-outset-box.
- ^ http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=328198&ticker=WEN:US
- ^ http://www.babsoncapital.com/AboutUs/Message.aspx
- ^ http://www.altruistfa.com/aboutaltruist.htm
- ^ Forbes. http://people.forbes.com/profile/hank-halter/122315.
- ^ http://dc.citybizlist.com/5/2011/7/14/Intrexon-Appoints-Timothy-Kasbe-as-CIO.aspx
- ^ http://www.heidrick.com/Consultants/Pages/10768.aspx
- ^ http://www.panerabread.com/about/company/mgmt.php
- ^ http://company.ingersollrand.com/aboutus/leadership/Pages/default.aspx
- ^ http://investing.businessweek.com/businessweek/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=1595438&privcapId=35258821&previousCapId=41360270&previousTitle=Sealedge%20Investments%20LLC
- ^ http://www.bcg.com/expertise_impact/Industries/Telecommunications/ExpertInterview.aspx?interviewId=tcm:12-26061&personId=tcm:12-7596&pt=R2xvYmFsIExlYWRlcl9fZW1fX1RlY2hub2xvZ3kgJiBDb21tdW5pY2F0aW9ucyBQcmFjdGljZSA=&practiceArea=Telecommunications
- ^ http://www.manta.com/c/mmnwn4p/o-neill-inc
- ^ Forbes. http://people.forbes.com/profile/frank-a-riddick/37912.
- ^ http://www.myspace.com/pressroom/2010/07/mark-rosenbaum-chief-financial-officer-myspace/
- ^ http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=22785559&privcapId=22676691&previousCapId=7827432&previousTitle=Financial%20Services%20Authority
- ^ a b http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indians_by_net_worth
- ^ "Sam Solomon's Route to the Coleman Company". The New York Times. October 23, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/jobs/24boss.html.
- ^ http://www.mercer.com/executive-profile.htm?siteLanguage=100&idExecutive=13543003
- ^ http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=277439&ticker=HIG:US
- ^ http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/duke-university-fuqua-01161
Duke University Academics
Schools and Institutes: Divinity School • Fuqua School of Business • Graduate School • Kenan Institute for Ethics • Nicholas School of the Environment • Pratt School of Engineering • Sanford School of Public Policy • School of Law • School of Medicine • School of Nursing • Trinity College of Arts and Sciences
ACC • Athletic Director • Blue and White • Cameron Crazies • Cameron Indoor Stadium • Carlyle Cup • Dear Old Duke • Duke blue • Duke-Carolina rivalry • Fight! Blue Devils, Fight! • Football (2011 • coach) • History of the Blue Devil • Jack Coombs Field • Koskinen Stadium • Krzyzewskiville • Lacrosse • Men's Basketball (2011–12 • coach) • Tobacco Road • Victory Bell • Wallace Wade Stadium
Campus Student life People
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fuqua School of Business — The school of business at Duke University. The Fuqua School of Business offers several different MBA programs as well as a Ph.D. program. It also provides joint programs in other areas, such as law and medicine. The Fuqua School of Business was… … Investment dictionary
Fuqua School of Business — La Fuqua School of Business est la business school de l Université Duke à Durham, en Caroline du Nord, USA. Vue due la Duke Chapel, Université Duke Fondée en 1971, elle décerne des diplômes de niveau post graduate: Master, Master of Busin … Wikipédia en Français
Fuqua School — Infobox school name=Fuqua School imagesize=210px motto= Scientia volamus established=1959 type=Private grades=Pre K 12th enrollment=572 free label= Endowment free text= $6.0 million president=Ruth S. Murphy dean=Rick Davis colors=Red and Gold… … Wikipedia
Indian School of Business — Infobox University image size = 161px| name = Indian School Of Business established = 2001 city = Hyderabad state = Andhra Pradesh country = India type = Business School, Private website = http://www.isb.edu dean = M Rammohan Rao faculty = 30… … Wikipedia
Michael Smurfit Graduate School of Business — The UCD Michael Smurfit School of Business at University College Dublin is located in Blackrock in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. The business school is considered to be one of the best in Ireland and among the top 20 in Europe and is consistently… … Wikipedia
Fuqua — is a surname derived from a Franco Germanic word meaning guardian folk . The current spelling, and its variants Fuquay and Fewquay, are Anglicisations of the French Fouquet. Several Fouquets are known to have emigrated from France to the United… … Wikipedia
J. B. Fuqua — J.B. Fuqua (pronounced few kwa ) (June 16, 1918 – April 5, 2006) was a businessman, philanthropist and chairman of The Fuqua Companies and Fuqua Enterprises. Born John Brooks Elam, Jr. in Prince Edward County, Virginia and raised on a small… … Wikipedia
Duke University School of Law — Established 1868 as Trinity College School of Law, 1924 as Duke University School of Law School type Private Dean David F. Levi Location … Wikipedia
London School of Economics — Not to be confused with School of Economic Science. London School of Economics and Political Science Motto Latin: Rerum cognoscere causas Motto in English To Understand the Causes of Things … Wikipedia
Master of business administration — Le Master of business administration (MBA), est le diplôme international d études supérieures du plus haut niveau dans le domaine de la conduite globale des affaires : stratégie, marketing, finances, ressources humaines et management. À… … Wikipédia en Français