- Yunnan cuisine
This article is part of the series Chinese cuisine China portal
Yunnan cuisine (滇菜, pinyin: Diāncài; or 云南菜, pinyin: Yúnnán cài) is an amalgam of Han Chinese and Chinese minority cuisines. As the province with the largest number of ethnic minorities, Yunnan has a great variety of food, and it is difficult to make generalisations. Many Yunnanese dishes are quite spicy, and mushrooms feature prominently. Another important characteristic of Yunnan cuisine is the wide use of flowers as food. Two of the province's most famous products are the renowned pu-erh tea (普洱茶) which is traditionally grown in Simao; as well as Xuanwei ham (宣威腿), which is often used to flavour stewed and braised foods in Chinese cuisine, as well as for making the stocks and broths of many Chinese soups.
- Guo qiao mi xian 过桥米线 ('Crossing the bridge' or 'Across the bridge' noodles), Yunnan's best known dish. Typically consists of a bowl of chicken stock, to which diners add their own selection of paper-thin meat slices, noodles (mixian), vegetables and spices, much like a hot pot. Ubiquitous throughout the province.
- Qi guo ji 气锅鸡 (Steam pot chicken), chicken steamed with tonic herbs in a special ceramic pot.
- Boluo fan 菠萝饭 (Pineapple rice), found in Xishuangbanna and possibly other Dai areas.
- Yiliang Roast Duck 宜良烤鴨, crispy skin roast duck similar to Peking duck, but honey is used to crisp and colour the skin. It is roasted with pine branches and needles, which imparts a unique flavour on the duck.
- Jidou liangfen 鸡豆凉粉, a savoury jelly made from chickpea flour.
- Shiping doufu 石屏豆腐 (Shiping tofu)
- Erkuai 饵块 (highly refined and compressed rice cakes)
- Lufu 卤腐, a type of fermented bean curd, typically used as a condiment or made into sauces. It is reddish yellow in colour, with a soft texture and a savory flavor.
- Rubing 乳并 (goat's milk cheese, from Bai cuisine in the area near Dali)
- Rushan (cow milk cheese)
Yunnan cuisine Yunnan topics General Geography Education CultureMusic • Eighteen Oddities Cuisine Visitor attractions
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Yunnan — Not to be confused with Yunan (disambiguation). Coordinates: 24°30′N 101°30′E / 24.5°N 101.5°E / 24.5; 101.5 … Wikipedia
Yunnan Expo Garden Hotel — (Куньмин,Китай) Категория отеля: 4 звездочный отель Адрес: No. 5, Shi Bo Ro … Каталог отелей
Cuisine of Assam — The Cuisine of Assam, a state in North East India, is a mixture of different indigenous styles with considerable regional variations and some external influences. It is characterized by very little use of spices but strong flavors due mainly to… … Wikipedia
Asian cuisine — Beef noodle soup Asian cuisine styles can be broken down into several regional styles that have roots in the peoples and cultures of those regions. The major types can be roughly defined as East Asian with its origins in Imperial China and now… … Wikipedia
List of universities and colleges in Yunnan — Main article: List of universities in China This is a list of universities and colleges in Yunnan Province. Note: Institutions without full time bachelor programs are not listed. This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. Contents 1… … Wikipedia
Lijiang, Yunnan — For the river in Guangxi Province, see Lijiang River. Other uses see Lijiang and Old Town of Lijiang. Lijiang 丽江 Prefecture level city 丽江市 … Wikipedia
Music of Yunnan — Music of China Timeline General topics Traditional Chinese instr … Wikipedia
Baoshan, Yunnan — For other uses, see Baoshan (disambiguation). Baoshan 保山 Prefecture level city 保山市 … Wikipedia
Chinese cuisine — Chinese food redirects here. For the Americanized version, see American Chinese cuisine. This article is part of the series … Wikipedia
Hong Kong cuisine — Demographics and Culture of Hong Kong Demographics … Wikipedia