List of unusual personal names
The following is a list of people who have received media attention because of their name, or are otherwise widely recognized as having names that are unusual. This list includes both names given at birth, and people who have legally changed their name.
People named for something else
People named after a specific person, organization, fictional character or product.
Armand Hammer", famous industrialist. Named after the " Arm and Hammer" symbol of the Socialist Labor Party. [ [http://www.focusdep.com/biographies/Armand/Hammer Armand Hammer Biograp ] ]
Austin Healey", English rugby unionplayer
*"Brooklyn Beckham", son of David and
Victoria Beckham, after a New Yorkborough of the same name where he was conceived. [http://www.people.co.uk/news/news/tm_method=full&objectid=17850060&siteid=93463-name_page.html]
*"Cajus Julius Caesar", member of the German Parliament
Deutscher Bundestag. [ [http://www.bundestag.de/mdb/bio/C/caesaca0.html Deutscher Bundestag: Caesar, Cajus ] ]
*"Camera Ashe", daughter of tennis legend
Arthur Ashe, named after his wife's profession (photographer)
Charlie Oatway", whose full name is "Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James Oatway", named by his parents after the entire QPR 1973 first-team squad. cite news
title = The most unusual footballer names ever
url = http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,,2053813,00.html
publisher = Guardian Unlimited
accessdate = 2007-08-04]
*"Christine Daaé", A Phantom of the Opera fan who had her name legally changed to that of the character. [ [http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modules/article/view.article.php/c9/14 Articles - History of the Phantom Appreciation Society - Phantom of the Opera .com ] ]
Creedence Clearwater Couto", a Brazilian football player named after a well-known American music band. [ [http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,,2053813,00.html The most unusual footballer names ever | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Football ] ] .
Eros- Adonis". Name of a Belgian boy. [ [http://statbel.fgov.be/press/fl034_nl.asp Nieuwsflits n°34 : Wiske (v.) zoekt Suske (m.) ] ]
*"Espn" (pronounced Espin). The name of two boys from Michigan and Texas, named for the popular cable sports channel
ESPN. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3268161.stm BBC NEWS | World | Americas | US babies get global brand names ] ] However, in Scandinavia, both " Esben" and " Espen" are somewhat common names.
Harley Quinn Smith", daughter of filmmaker Kevin Smith, named for the Joker's sidekick Harley Quinnfrom "".
* "Jesus Christ". Born Jose Luis Espinal, he legally changed his name in December 2005. [ [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/23/ap/strange/mainD8EM8NAO6.shtml CBS News | Judge Lets Man Change Name to Jesus Christ ] ]
*"Jesus Christ Allin", later Kevin Michael Allin, most well known as GG Allin, named by his fanatically religious father [ [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:yzj9kett7q7m~T1 allmusic ((( G.G. Allin > Biography ))) ] ]
John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood", a fan of the same.
Joker Arroyo", a Philippine Senator. His name derives from his father's fondness of playing cards. He has a brother named Jack, also for the playing card of the same name [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4609892.stm BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | The Philippine name game ] ]
* "Kal-El Coppola", son of actor
Nicolas Cage, is named for the fictional character Superman. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4307332.stm BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Film | Baby boy for actor Cage and wife ] ]
Kenesaw Mountain Landis", American jurist and baseball commissioner, named after Kennesaw Mountainnear Atlanta, Georgia.
* "Marenglen". A combination of the names
Marx, Engelsand Lenin. Common name in Albania, dating back to the communist dictatorship 1944-1992.Fact|date=July 2008
* "Metallica". Daughter of Michael and Karolina Tomaro, named after a band. [ [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/03/entertainment/main2642630.shtml Couple Fights To Name Baby "Metallica", Swedish Couple Locked In Court Battle With Authorities - CBS News ] ]
* "Melscho" or Мэлсчо. A combination of the names
Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin, and Choibalsan. It was the name of a few people during the communist period in Mongolia.Fact|date=April 2008
*"Minty Clinch". Film publicist and journalist on
The Observer[ [http://imdb.com/name/nm0166812/ Minty Clinch ] ]
* "Oleúde José Ribeiro", nicknamed "Capitain" was a Brazilian football player. His first name is a badly misspelled rendition of
*"Optimus Prime". A member of the
United States National Guardwho legally changed his name to one of a "Transformers" character. [ [http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828 National guardsman changed his name to a toy | wkyc.com ] ]
Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel". British political candidate self-renamed after a Monty Pythoncharacter. Born John Desmond Lewis.
*"Seseer" or Сэсээр. The Mongolian reading of the name СССР (Russian for
USSR), which was given during the communist period in Mongolia.Fact|date=April 2008
* "Toomer.com", an Israeli programmer. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1271728.stm BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Israel's Mr .com ] ]
* "Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K", a baby born in St. Francis Health Center in Kansas in 2003. [ [http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/stf33/public/stf33birthannouncement.pl?babyID=h33-440 Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K ] ]
* "Wrigley Fields", named for the baseball field
Wrigley Field[ [http://nbc5.com/news/14180048/detail.html Birth Of A Fan - Wrigley Fields Is Born - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago ] ]
* "Zeppelin Wai Wong," born in
San Franciscoand named after the " Graf Zeppelin" which his parents saw overhead when he was born. (According to Herb Caen, Wong says it could be worse: "Suppose it had been the Shenandoah?")
* "Vista Avalon" is the legal name given to Microsoft MVP Bil Simser's daughter born May 18th, 2007 in
Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Vista is the name of Microsoft's operating system, released in 2007. Avalonis the codename given to Microsoft's Windows Presentation Foundation, part of the .NET 3.0 framework. [ [http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2007/06/02/introducing-the-new-vista-ipod.aspx Introducing the New Vista iPod - Fear and Loathing ] ]
People whose names are nouns or other words not commonly used as a given name.
American McGee", video game designer (" Quake", " American McGee's Alice") famous for having an unusual name. [ [http://gamasutra.com/features/20060915/murdey_01.shtml Gamasutra.com - Unnatural Disasters: Designer American McGee On Creative Outsourcing ] ]
Apple Martin", daughter of Gwyneth Paltrowand Chris Martin. The Hungarian word for apple, "Alma", is a rare, but not unheard-of female name in Hungary. [ [http://www.projo.com/lifebeat/content/projo_20060418_bnames.d732179.html Lifebeat | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal ] ]
feral childFact|date=November 2007
*"Bluebell Madonna Halliwell", daughter of Spice Girl
Geri Halliwell[ [http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-05-23-halliwell-baby_x.htm Geri Halliwell names baby Bluebell Madonna - USATODAY.com ] ]
*"Bumble Ward", a well-known producer. Mention of the name by
Kevin Smithin An Evening With Kevin Smith.
Breece D'J Pancake," short-lived writer of short fiction. The unusual initial came from a misprint of his first story, which he decided to not correct.http://athena.english.vt.edu/~appalach/writersM/pancake.html]
*"Crown Shakur Thomas", a boy who died of malnutrition at the age of 6 weeks old, after being starved by his parents, who were sentenced to life imprisonment. [ [http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/13286030/detail.html Vegan Parents Get Prison In Infant's Death - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston ] ]
* "Depressed Cupboard Cheesecake". Child of a couple in
Kent, England[Pile, Stephen (1988). "The Return of Heroic Failures". Penguin Books. ISBN 0-14-012172-2.]
* "Flipper Reddolphin" - Guitarist from South Wales Fact|date=August 2007
God Shammgod". American basketballplayer born on April 29, 1976in New York Citywho played one season in the NBA. [ [http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/shammgo01.html God Shammgod Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com ] ]
Heaven Rain Charvet" daughter of Brooke Burkeand David Charvet. Known as Rain Charvet
Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence", daughter of Michael Hutchenceand Paula Yates. Legally adopted by Bob Geldofin 2008. Known as Tiger Hutchence to family and friends.
Island Shuler". Daughter of former NFL quarterback Heath Shuler. [http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8667686]
* "Jellyfish McSaveloy" [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4550000/newsid_4552600/4552604.stm CBBC Newsround | Chat | Your Comments | Would you change your name? ] ]
Joybubbles", a phone phreak.
Jenji Kohan", creator of television show " Weeds".
Learned Hand", an American judgeand judicial philosopher.
* "Loser Lane" - a
New York Police Departmentsergeant, mentioned in the book Freakonomics[ [http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/31/1027926917671.html Family's winner becomes a loser and loser a winner - smh.com.au ] ]
* "Maybe Barnes" (or Maybee or Maibe) a male child born 1663 in
New Haven, Connecticut[http://www.familysearch.org/ FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records ] ]
* Milton Bradley, an outfielder for the Texas Rangers
* "Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette". Daughter of magician
Penn Jillette. [ [http://entertainment.msn.com/celebs/article.aspx?news=192888>1=6657 Jillette Names Daughter Moxie CrimeFighter - MSN Movies News ] ]
Peanut Kai Rademacher", son of General Hospital actor, Ingo Rademacher
Peerless Price", wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills.
Pilot Inspektor Riesgraf-Lee". Son of actor/skateboarder Jason Lee and actress Beth Riesgraf.
* "Little Pixie Geldof", daughter of musician/activist
Bob Geldofand Paula Yates. Known as Pixie Geldof.
* "Poesy Emmeline Fibonacci Nautilus Taylor Doctorow", daughter of
Cory Doctorowand Alice Taylor. [ [http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/03/fine-news.html Birth announcement for Poesy on BoingBoing.net] ]
* "Poet Siena Rose Goldberg", daughter of
Soleil Moon Fryeand Jason Goldberg.
Poppy Montgomery", born "Poppy Petal Emma Elizabeth Deveraux Donahue". An Australian-born actress starring in the television series " Without a Trace". Her brother is named Jethro Tull, and her sisters are named Rosie Thorn, Daisy Yellow, Lily Belle and Marigold Sun.
Ransom Love", former CEO of Caldera.
* "Rocket, Racer, Rogue and Rebel Rodriguez", All children of film director
Thursday October Christian". The son of Fletcher Christian(leader of the mutiny on the Bounty).
* "They". Formerly Andrew Wilson, of
Branson, Missouri. [ [http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/archive/2004/09/23/namechange.DTL Man Legally Changes Name To 'They' ] ]
Urban Shocker", a Major League Baseball pitcher in the 1910s-20s.
* "Urmas-Armas Ingel" (engl. "Urmas-Sweet Angel"). An eccentric Estonian poet.
* "Wonderful Terrific Monds III" was a baseball player in the
Atlanta Bravesfarm system in the early 1990s. WTM I, his grandfather, was given that name because his own parents were so pleased when their son was born. Baseball writer Peter Gammonscalled it "one of the greatest names" for a ballplayer he has heard. [ [http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/1118.html Peter Gammons ] ]
Yahoo Serious", Australian actor known for directing " Young Einstein".
*"Yahoo", Mexican boy born in 2007. Named because his parents met in a Yahoo! chat [http://www.hoytecnologia.com/noticias/nino-llamado-Yahoo/23112 A boy named Yahoo (Spanish)] .
Names containing a meaning
Names which intentionally contain a phrase.
Amor De Cosmos", the second premier of British Columbia, Canada. His name in Portuguese (and Spanish) actually means "Love Of Cosmos".
Condoleezza Rice", current US Secretary of State. Name is based on a misspelling of the Italian musical term 'con dolcezza' which means ' [to be played] with sweetness'. [ [http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1352946,00.html 'I like lighthearted people. Besides, she's really smart!' | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited ] ]
*"Espen Thoresen Hværsaagod-Takkskalduha". A Norwegian radio reporter. He first changed his name from "Espen Thoresen" to "Espen Thoresen Hværsaagod" (Espen Thoresen You're welcome). Later he added the name "Takkskalduha" (Thank you very much). [ [http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=287408 Skifter navn ] ]
Jello Biafra, born Eric Reed Boucher, changed his name to this because of the two conflicting symbols. Jello, a mass marketed food product with no nutritional value, against Biafra, a failed secessionist state from Nigeria that lead to mass starvation.
* The name of Lindsay Ann Crouse, daughter of
Russel Crouse, was an intentional reference to the playwrighting team of Lindsay and Crouse.
Mahershalalhashbaz Ali", American actor. His name is Hebrew for "To speed to the spoil, he hasteneth the prey". Ali's name is derived from the Biblical book of Isaiah 8:1-3, where the name is usually given as "Maher-shalal-hash-baz."
* "Mai Phat Sau Nghin Ruoi". Vietnamese which translates to "Fined Six Thousand Five Hundred" to represent the 6,500 dong, the local currency, that father Mai Xuan Can was forced to pay for ignoring Vietnam's two-child policy. The boy changed his name to Mai Hoang Long when he turned 18. [http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_189010959.html]
* "Masiosare" — Spanish for "But if [someone eventually] dared". It is not a common phrase in Spanish, but a line of the
Mexican National Anthem, "Mas si osare un extraño enemigo" (But if an unknown stranger dared), is sometimes heard as "Masiosare, un extraño enemigo" (Masiosare, an unknown enemy). This misunderstanding has led to the frequent use of Masiosare as a proper name.Fact|date=June 2007
* "Midnight Chardonnay", registered name of a child in New Zealand
* "Mister Thorne" — So named because his mother believed that he'd become a high school geometry teacher when he grew up, "and then everyone will know him by that name." [ [http://www.misterthorne.org/re_mister.html Nights to Remember ] ]
* "Nardwuar the Human Serviette". Canadian celebrity interviewer and musician from
Vancouver, British Columbia. [ [http://www.cbc.ca/arts/walkoffame/nardwuar.html CBC.ca - Arts - Alternative Canadian Walk of Fame - Inductee: Nardwuar the Human Serviette ] ]
* "Notwithstanding Griswold" a female child born
1759in Durham, Connecticut
* "Number 16 Bus Shelter", registered name of a child in New Zealand
* "Robin Victory in Europe Strasser", American actress born on
May 7, 1945, which was officially proclaimed V-E Day.
*"Savior God Scientist Allah" is the name of a 16-month old Michigan boy who died after falling from a seventh story window on
April 20, 2006[ [http://www.wxyztv.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4637774,00.html WXYZ-TV] , Detroit Citation broken|date=July 2008]
Screaming Lord Sutch", born David Edward Sutch, former leader of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party.
* "Spontaniouse Grant", a model hopeful from
Montgomery, Alabama, seen on the ninth cycle of the reality TV series " America's Next Top Model". She was named as a result of being born before reaching the hospital, and her mother deeming her birth "spontaneous." [ [http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/09/spontaniouse-to.html And the winner for Best Named Reality Contestant in the History of Ever is... | PopWatch Blog | EW.com ] ]
*"Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii" was the given name of a girl in
New Zealand. In 2008, at the age of 9, she was made a ward of court in order that her name could be changed.cite web
title= NZ judge orders 'odd' name change
work = BBC News
date=24 July 2008 ]
* "Trout Fishing in America". In 1994, a Santa Barbara teenager named Peter Eastman Jr. legally changed his name to "Trout Fishing in America" after Richard Brautigan's novella of the same name. [Saker, Anne.
The Oregonian, 11 October 2007. [http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/living/119197050984080.xml&coll=7 "Searching upstream"] . Accessed 18 December 2007.]
Will Power". Australian Champ Cardriver.
World B. Free". Retired NBA basketball player. His given name was Lloyd B. Free, and later changed his name back to his given name.
* "Wu Suowei" ( _zh. 吴所谓), son of Chinese TV host
Yang Lanand her husband Wu Zheng, sounds identical to Chinese expression for "doesn't matter" or "whatever". [ [http://fun.china.com/zh_cn/star/chinese/11015621/20041011/11909101.html ¶ù×ÓÃû½Ð¡°ÎâËùÎ½¡± ÑîÀ½Ì¸¶ùÅ®¸ÐÎò¼ÒÍ¥ºÍÇ×Çé-ÖÐ»ªÍø-ÓéÀÖÆµµÀ ] ]
Names changed (or given) for political purposes or as a form of protest
america Hoffman," son of revolutionist yippiesAbbie and Anita Hoffman. Given the name "america", with a "small a", to indicate both patriotism and non- jingoisticintent. [cite web |url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/parents/story/0,3605,423191,00.html |title=Children of the revolution |accessdate=2007-07-11 |publisher= The Guardian|date= January 17, 2001]
* "Austin Haddock" was the name (temporarily) for
Austin Mitchell, British MP for Great Grimsby, who changed his name by deed pollin support of his haddockfishermen constituents in October 2002. They were suffering from the effects of an EU fisheries ban enacted over concerns of dwindling North Seafish stocks.
* "Byron (Low Tax) Looper". Former
Tennesseepolitician Byron Looper changed his middle name to "(Low Tax)" as an election ploy; in 1998 he murdered his electoral opponent, state senator Tommy Burks.
* "Free Rob Cannabis" - Marijuana activist from Glastonbury, UK
* "Goveg.com" (pronounced Go Vedge Dot Com). PETA activist Karin Robertson changed her name in 2003 to promote the organization's
veganwebsite. In 2006 she reverted to her birth name, later saying "I never thought I would be Goveg.com forever. It was just a great way to pique people's interest." [ [http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=109193&ran=124671 Two of three PETA activists drop their Web site monikers | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com ] ]
Kentucky Fried Cruelty.com". A PETA staff member who was known as Chris Garnett before he changed his name in 2006.
* "Legal Tender Coxey" - Infant son of
Jacob Coxey, leader of Coxey's Army.
* "Miss Alice". A New Zealand lawyer, formerly known as Rob Moodie, who legally changed his name to protest the Old Boys' Network that runs the judiciary. [ [http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/NewsDisplay/tabid/209/articleID/19855/Default.aspx TV3 > News > Story > Alice in the High Court ] ]
Nigel Freemarijuana" was for many years the public face of the HEMP Party (Help End Marijuana Prohibition) in Brisbane standing as a candidate in various elections.
Seán Dublin Bay Rockall Loftus" is an Irish politician who has changed his name several times in order to draw attention to his campaign issues.
States Rights Gist", Confederate General during the American Civil War [ [http://www.aboutfamouspeople.com/article1166.html States Rights Gist - History Celebrities ] ]
* "Yorkshire Bank PLC Are Fascist Bastards". Born Michael Howard but changed his name legally after being charged £20 for a £10 overdraft. Having subsequently been forced to close his account, he asked that the remaining balance be paid by cheque made out to his new name. [ [http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/newsquiz_25.shtml BBC - Radio 4 - Comedy - History of the News Quiz ] ]
Names which, when read, can double as a word or phrase. These names’ double meanings are either unintentional, or composed of common given names.
Argelico Fucks", Brazilian footballer.
* "Jaime Lachica Sin" a
Philippineclergyman, was known as "Cardinal Sin" because of his status within the Catholic church. Sin was said to play a joke on his title, welcoming visitors to his archbishop's residence with the greeting "Welcome to the House of Sin"; journalist P.J. O'Rourke, an occasional visitor to the Philippines, has cited such actual newspaper headlines as "Sin requires sobriety". (He is not to be confused with the term " cardinal sin").
Dick Assman" (properly pronounced "assmun"). Canadian service station owner whose name propelled him to international celebrity status in 1995.
Dick Pole", baseball player [ [http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/banana-fana-fo-fudcat/ Banana Fana Fo Fudcat - The Hardball Times ] ]
Ima Hogg". Daughter of Governor of Texas James Stephen Hogg. Urban legendcontends that she had a sister named Ura Hogg (and occasionally one named Sheysa as well), but this is false.
* "Jack Ass". Born Robert Craft, he legally changed his name to Jack Ass then brought a plagiarism lawsuit against
MTVfor their comedy sketch series "Jackass". He committed suicide on July 21, 2003. [ [http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/mrjackass1.html The Smoking Gun: Archive ] ] [ [http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2003/08/01/news/mtregional/znews08.txt Missoulian: Hot Springs man who changed name to Jack Ass dies ] ]
* "Líber Arce" - His name sounds like "liberarse" (Spanish for "to break free"). He was the first person to be killed by the police during the clashes of the late 1960s in Uruguay. (see the Spanish-language article)
Lucious Pusey" - Linebacker for Eastern Illinois University, legally changed his name to "Lucious Seymour". [ [http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=148900 ESPN - Lucious Pusey Stats, News, Photos - Eastern Illinois Panthers - NCAA College Football ] ] .
Tu Morrow", daughter of Rob Morrowand his wife Debbon Ayer. [ [http://imdb.com/name/nm0001555/bio Rob Morrow - Biography ] ]
*"Shanda Lear", daughter of
Bill Lear, founder of Lear JetCorporation.
Unusually long names
Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig El Abderahman El Mohammed Ahmed El Abdel Karim El Mahdi, actor from TV series
* Crystal Ocean Supri Heavenly Blue Sky Hellman, actress. Known as Ocean Hellman [ [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0375496/ Ocean Hellman ] ]
Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff, the man with the longest name ever recorded. He actually had 26 given names (each one starting with a different letter of the alphabet), and his full last name ran to 590 letters.
*Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson Wright - British celebrity chef, known for being one half of TV duo
Two Fat Ladies.
* Peaches Honeyblossom Michelle Charlotte Angel Vanessa Geldof, daughter of
Bob Geldofand Paula Yates.
* Anna Bertha Cecilia Diana Emily Fanny Gertrude Hypatia Inez Jane Kate Louise Maud Nora Ophelia Prudence Quince Rebecca Sarah Teresa Ulysis Venus Winifred Xenophon Yetty Zeno Pepper, a British woman who was named with a first name in the order of the alphabet. Her name brought interest to
Robert Ripley, who published a profile of Pepper in an issue of " Ripley's Believe It Or Not!" in 1929. Due to the length of her name, she was nicknamed "Alphabet" for short.
* Autumn Sullivan Corbett Fitzsimmons Jeffries Hart Burns Johnson Willard Dempsey Tunney Schmeling Sharkey Carnera Baer Braddock Louis Charles Walcott Marciano Patterson Johansson Liston Clay Frazier Foreman Brown, an American child born in 2007. [ [http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/06/22/autumns-a-real-knockout/ Autumn’s a real knockout! : Express & Star: ] ]
* Lleieusszuieusszesszes Willihiminizisteizzi Hurrizzissteizzi, a resident of
Los Angeles; appears in Robert Ripley's second "Believe It or Not!" Book (1948).
* Rhoshandiatellyneshiaunneveshenk Koyaanisquatsiuth Williams was a girl born in
Beaumont, Texason September 12 1984. Her name appears to be a conglomeration of various words from Hopi and perhaps other languages; Koyaanisqatsimeans "life out of balance" in Hopi. On October 5 1984, her father, James Williams, filed an amendment, expanding her first name to 1,019 letters and her middle name to 36 (but this new name was never published). [Guiness Book of Records, 1995.] She herself would later appear in the Nickelodeon program " Figure It Out" under the name "Jamie," but using this fact as her identity.
*Louis George Maurice Adolphe Roche Albert Abel Antonio Alexandre Noë Jean Lucien Daniel Eugène Joseph-le-brun Joseph-Barême Thomas Thomas Thomas-Thomas Pierre Arbon Pierre-Maurel Barthélemi Artus Alphonse Bertrand Dieudonné Emanuel Josué Vincent Luc Michel Jules-de-la-plane Jules-Bazin Julio César Jullien, (April 23, 1812 - March 14, 1860) was a French conductor.
*Nicholas Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barbon. [Letwin, William. "The Origins of Scientific Economics". London: Routledge, 2003. p. 48.] Although "phrase names" were not unheard of with Puritans this is remembered as an unusually long example. He was son to
Praise-God Barebone. The story that Praise-God's brothers were named Christ-came-into-the-world-to-save Barebone and If-Christ-had-not-died-thou-hadst-been-damned Barebone (supposedly shortened to Damned Barebone) is disputed. [http://books.google.com/books?id=ZCwJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA153&ie=ISO-8859-1]
*Aldaberontophoscophornia Bowen Fearing [ [http://home.comcast.net/~kerseylist/cousins.htm Famous Cousins ] ] .
*James Dr No From Russia with Love Goldfinger Thunderball You Only Live Twice On Her Majesty's Secret Service Diamonds Are Forever Live and Let Die The Man with the Golden Gun The Spy Who Loved Me Moonraker For Your Eyes Only Octopussy A View to a Kill The Living Daylights Licence to Kill Golden Eye Tomorrow Never Dies The World Is Not Enough Die Another Day Casino Royale Bond. David Fearn, 23, from Walsall, changed his name to the names of every
James Bondmovie at the time in order to celebrate the release of the latest Bond film [ [http://www.newstatesman.com/200611270022 New Statesman - Where were you? ] ] .
* Calvin Coolidge Julius Caesar Tuskahoma McLish (Cal "Buster" McLish) Pitcher for several major-league baseball teams about 1948-1964. Source: "The Baseball Trivia Book" by Bert Randolph Sugar.
* Allan Mitchell Edward George Patrick Henry Gallagher ("Dirty Al" Gallagher), played for the San Francisco Giants; parents had saved up names for a boy and gave them all to him when he was born. Source: "The Baseball Trivia Book" by Bert Randolph Sugar.
* Rodolpho Pierre Filibert Alphanzo Rafael Gugliemli di Valentina d'Antoguella, full name of
Rudolph Valentino, movie star
*Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James Oatway is an English footballer who was named after all 11 players of a
Queens Park Rangers F.C.side.
*Zenzile Makeba Qgwashu Nguvama Yiketheli Nxgowa Bantana Balomzi Xa Ufun Ubajabulisa Ubaphekeli Mbiza Yotshwala Sithi Xa Saku Qgiba Ukutja Sithathe Izitsha Sizi Khabe Singama Lawu Singama Qgwashu Singama Nqamla Nqgithi is a South African singer. In keeping with tradition, her full name contains the first names of her male ancestors followed by a one- or two-word description of their character. [ [http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,952039-9,00.html "Letters to the Editor] ", "Time",
October 5, 1983. Accessed May 1, 2008.]
*Brian Peter George St. John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno is an English electronic musician, music theorist and record producer. As a solo artist, he is best known as the father of modern ambient music.
*Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo, basketball player for the
Portuguese Braganza Monarchs
Several 19th century Portuguese monarchs, of the
House of Braganzaof the 19th century (from 1826 onwards, Braganza-Wettin or Braganza-Saxe-Coburg and Gotha), had unusually long names:
*Carlos Fernando Luís Maria Victor Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis José Simão de Bragança, King of Portugal
*Luís Filipe Maria Carlos Amélio Francisco Vítor Manuel António Lourenço Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis Bento de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha e Bragança, Prince Royal of Portugal
*Luís Filipe Maria Fernando Pedro de Alcântara António Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis João Augusto Júlio Valfando de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha e Bragança, King of Portugal
*Manuel Maria Filipe Carlos Amélio Luís Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Francisco de Assis Eugénio de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha e Bragança, King of Portugal
*Maria da Glória Joana Carlota Leopoldina da Cruz Francisca Xavier de Paula Isidora Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga da Áustria e Bragança, Queen of Portugal
*Miguel Maria do Patrocínio João Carlos Francisco de Assis Xavier de Paula Pedro de Alcântara António Rafael Gabriel Joaquim José Gonzaga Evaristo de Bragança, King of Portugal
*Pedro de Alcântara Francisco Antônio João Carlos Xavier de Paula Miguel Rafael Joaquim José Gonzaga Pascoal Cipriano Serafim de Bragança e Bourbon, King of Portugal and Emperor of Brazil
*Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga de Bragança e Habsburgo, Emperor of Brazil and son of Pedro I
*Pedro de Alcântara Maria Fernando Miguel Rafael Gonzaga Xavier João António Leopoldo Vítor Francisco de Assis Júlio Amélio de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha e Bragança, King of Portugal
Names changed for business purposes
Captain Beany", legally changed his name from Barry Kirk in 1991, named after his fondness of baked beans
DotComGuy". Legally changed his name from Mitch Maddox in 2000 as part of a publicity stunt of spending an entire year in his house, on the Internet.
GoldenPalace.com" (Pronounced Golden Palace Dot Com). In March 2005, the casino paid Terri Iligan $15,000 after winning an E-Bay Auction to legally change her name. 
* "Sunshine Megatron", owner of
T-Shirt Hell. Originally named Aaron Landau Schwarz, he established the site http://www.givemeaname.com, inviting people to choose a new name for him and paying $25,000 to the winning submission.
* "Warrior". American professional wrestler, born Brian James "Jim" Hellwig, best known for appearances as the Ultimate Warrior in the WWF. Legally changed his name to Warrior in 1993 in order to use the name outside of the WWF.
* "Zachary Zzzzzzzzzra", actually named Bill Holland, was a painting contractor who changed his name to Zachary Zzzzzzzzzra as a marketing gimmick so that people could find him "in the back of the phone book". A 1979 "Time" article said that he was able to achieve this goal in the San Francisco phone book in eight out of 15 years, although he had to keep adding Zs to his last name because Zelda Zzzwramp and Vladimir Zzzzzzabakov had become the last listings in the phone book.cite web | title=Time Magazine | work=Zany Zach | accessmonthday=January 16 | accessyear=2007 | url=http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,916974,00.html]
Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel", a 22-year-old student from Hayes in Greater London. Changed his name from John Desmond Lewis by deed poll to contest the Crosby by-election of 1981. The name comes from a character in a sketch from the popular BBC televisioncomedy series " Monty Python's Flying Circus". In the sketch, " Election Night Special", the character by that name wins in Luton in a general election as the "Silly Party" candidate. [http://www.election.demon.co.uk/by1979.html Byelections in the 1979-83 Parliament] ] [Chapman et al, "Monty Python's Flying Circus: Just the Words" Volume 1, London: Mandarin Paperbacks, 1990 (ISBN 0-7493-0226-7).]
KentuckyFriedCruelty.com", An animal activist who changed his name to support the Kentucky Fried Cruelty campaign.
Chyna". American professional wrestler, born Joanie Laurer. Legally changed her name to Chyna in 2007 in order to use her ring name outside of the WWE.
*"Kamakazi", born Jamie Hildebrandt', an Australian
BMX racingracer who competed in the 2008 Bejing Summer Olympics
Chad Ocho Cinco". American football player for Cincinnati of the NFL, born Chad Johnson. Legally changed his surname to "Ocho Cinco" (his nickname) in 2008.
Zappa children and grandchild
Frank Zappahad a penchant for giving his children unusual names. In a segment on " The Tonight Show", Jay Lenoasked him why he had given his children these names. His answer: "Because I wanted to." In "The Real Frank Zappa Book" he remarked, "People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly 'strange names'. But the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them, it is the last name that is going to get them in trouble."
Moon Unit Zappa", his oldest child, did the valspeakon Zappa's 1982 song " Valley Girl". She goes by Moon, insisting that Unit is her middle name.
**Daughter of Moon Unit: Mathilda Plum Doucette. [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953262/bio]
Dweezil Zappa" was born Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa because, the hospital having refused to register the Zappas' chosen name, the parents reeled off a list of names belonging to Frank Zappa's then-bandmates. He has since legally changed his name to Dweezil. Dweezil's daughter is called Zola Frank Zappa.
* "Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa". His third given name comes from the flying Japanese movie monster of the same name
*"Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen Zappa". So named because, according to her father, she was screaming louder than all the other babies in the nursery.
* "Dix-Sept Rosado", whose first name means "seventeen" in French, was one of several brothers with French numerals for names born to a Brazilian family from
Mossoró. He later became a politician and there is a town named after him. [ [http://www.citybrazil.com.br/rn/govdixseptrosado City Brazil - RN - Cidade de Governador Dix-Sept Rosado ] ] His brother, "Vingt-Un" ("twenty-one") was a writer and journalist.
Jennifer 8. Lee" She adopted her unusual middle name in her teens, because Chinese customsees the number 8 as a symbol of prosperity.
Jon Blake Cusack 2.0" [ [http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/02/01/offbeat.baby.version2.0.ap/index.html CNN.com - Engineering geek names son version 2.0 - Feb. 1, 2004 ] ]
M3 Sweatt", Chief of Staff of the Windows Core Operating System Division (COSD) at Microsoft[http://blogs.msdn.com/mthree/about.aspx]
Ottavio Cinquanta", president of the International Skating Union
Perri 6", Director of Policy and Research at Demos and Professor of Social Policy at Nottingham Trent University.
* "Ten Million". Baseball player from the 1910s.
Chad Ocho Cinco", NFL player formerly known as Chad Johnson. He changed his name to a nickname he had previously given himself based on his number 85.
*Born God Supreme Thompson [ [http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071203/NRSTAFF/71203017 Police ID 2 killed in Greensboro] ,
News & Record, December 3, 2007]
*"@" was the name given to a child by a Chinese couple. In Chinese, the symbol @ is pronounced "ai ta" which in Chinese means "love him". Li Yuming, the deputy chief of the State Language Commission, did not say if officials accepted the name. [http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/oukoe_uk_china_language]
* "4real" was the name New Zealand parents attempted to give their child. They were told that numerals were not allowed. The parents are debating this law and, if no name has been registered by
July 9, the boy will be legally named "Superman"; friends and family will call him "4real". [http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/06/21/name.child.ap/index.html]
Adolf Lu Hitler Marak" is an Indian politician. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2800585.stm BBC NEWS | South Asia | Voting for Frankenstein ] ]
Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116" (pronounced Albin) was a name given to a child by the parents of a Swedish family in May 1996. The name was rejected by a Swedish court. The child’s name was later changed to A (also pronounced Albin), however this too was rejected. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6525475.stm BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Baby named Metallica rocks Sweden ] ]
Exree Hipp". Former basketball player at University of Maryland. [ [http://www.terrapinstats.com/profile.php?playerid=307 Terrapinstats.com - Exree Hipp Profile ] ]
* "I AM THE BEAST SIX SIX SIX OF THE LORD OF HOSTS IN EDMOND FRANK MACGILLIVRAY JR NOW. I AM THE BEAST SIX SIX SIX OF THE LORD OF HOSTS IEFMJN. I AM THE BEAST SIX SIX SIX OF THE LORD OF HOSTS. I AM THE BEAST SIX SIX SIX OTLOHIEFMJN. I AM THE BEAST SSSOTLOHIEFMJN. I AM THE BEAST SIX SIX SIX. BEAST SIX SIX SIX LORD." Name of plaintiff in a 1990 lawsuit against the Michigan State Police. [ [http://members.aol.com/schwenkler/wcc/beast.htm] ]
* The musician Prince changed his name to in 1993 as the result of a contractual dispute. He reverted this change in 2000.
Prince Octopus Dzanie", Ghanaian boxer
Revilo Oliver", American philologist and Neo-Nazi with a palindromic name. [cite book | url = http://www.heretical.com/oliver/index.html | title = The Jewish Strategy | author = Oliver, Revilo P. | publisher = Palladian Books| year = 2002 | chapter = Introduction | quote = My first name, an obvious palindrome, has been the burden of the eldest or only son for six generations. ]
Robert Trebor", American actor with a palindromic name, (Born Robert Schenkman). [ [http://www.whoosh.org/issue14/itreb1a.html#trebor An Interview With Robert Trebor ] ]
* "Sydney Harbour-Bridge", born Ian Howgate; changed his name as a charity stunt. [ [http://www.crocclub.co.uk/mkii/page.php?page=reggie&vol=6&article=8 The Crocodile Club - The Alumni Association of Imperial College Radio ] ] Other names considered were Sydney Opera-House and Phil Harmonic-Orchestra.
* "Teller", born Raymond Joseph Teller, is a magician in the duo
Penn & Tellerand is one of the few people to possess a United States Passportissued in a single name.
* [http://blog.jus.uol.com.br/paginalegal/2008/02/05/nomes-diferentes-de-a-a-d/ Artigos da Categoria ‘nomes diferentes’] , a Portuguese-language website maintained by the Brazilian association of registrars, is a large list of unusual names from
Brazil. All Brazilian names mentioned in this article are found there.
* [http://www.irmi.com/Expert/Articles/2001/Klein07.aspx G. Barry Klein] —"He named his son Hath Christ Not Died for Thee Thou Wouldst Be Damned Barebone. The son later changed his name to Nicholas Barbon."
* [http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20031017.html What's in a Name?] —Profile of
body modificationenthusiasts who have changed their names
*" [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4609892.stm The Philippine name game] " at
BBC News, 14 January 2006
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Duck universe characters — The following are fictional characters appearing in the Duck universe, which revolves around the stories of Donald Duck and Scrooge McDuck. Much of this page is based upon the ideas of Don Rosa. Contents 1 Main characters 1.1 Donald Duck 1.2… … Wikipedia
List of Weeds characters — This is a list of characters from the television series Weeds. Contents 1 Nancy Botwin s family 1.1 Nancy Botwin 1.2 Andy Botwin 1.3 Silas Botwin … Wikipedia
List of minor characters of Scrubs — The following are a list of minor characters from the American comedy drama Scrubs . Recurring charactersThese cast members have appeared in numerous episodes but remain credited as guest stars. Jordan Sullivan Ted Buckland Keith Dudemeister Dr.… … Wikipedia
List of My Little Pony characters — This is a list of characters from the long running My Little Pony toy franchise. The My Little Pony franchise first debuted in the year 1400 B.C., the creation of American illustrator and designer Bonnie Zacherle. Together with sculptor Charles… … Wikipedia
List of The Belgariad and The Malloreon characters — This is a list of The Belgariad and The Malloreon characters. The Belgariad and The Malloreon are two parts of a fantasy epic written by David Eddings. Note: All of the statements (deceased, married) are written from the current information by… … Wikipedia
List of Alex Rider characters — This is a list of protagonists and antagonists from British author Anthony Horowitz s Alex Rider series. This includes characters from the novels, the film, the graphic novels, and the short stories. Contents 1 Main Antagonists 1.1 Ash 1.2 Sir… … Wikipedia
List of Forgotten Realms characters — This is a list of fictional characters from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting for the Dungeons Dragons fantasy role playing game. Most of these characters have appeared in the multiple series of novels set in the Forgotten Realms. Contents:… … Wikipedia
List of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy episodes — This is a list of episodes of the American animated television series The Grim Adventures of Billy Mandy, which was created by Maxwell Atoms, and which originally aired on Cartoon Network from June 13, 2003 to October 12, 2008. There were 80… … Wikipedia
List of Inheritance Cycle characters — This is a list of characters in the Inheritance Cycle, a fantasy series by Christopher Paolini. Many of the names Paolini has used originate from Old Norse, German, Old English and Russian sources as well as the invented languages. Contents 1… … Wikipedia
List of Late Night with Conan O'Brien sketches — For a list of sketches that debuted on The Tonight Show with Conan O Brien, see List of The Tonight Show with Conan O Brien sketches. The following is a list of sketches which debuted on Late Night with Conan O Brien on NBC. Contents 1 Late Night … Wikipedia