Limnology (from Greek: Λίμνη "limne", "lake"; and λόγος, "logos", "knowledge") is the division of
hydrologythat studies inland waters (running and standing waters, both fresh and saline), including their biological, physical, chemical, geological and hydrological aspects. This includes the study of (natural and man-made) lakes and ponds, rivers and streams, wetlands and groundwaters.
Traditionally, limnology is closely related to
hydrobiology, which is concerned with the application of physics, chemistry, geology, and geographyto ecological problems.
The term limnology was coined by
François-Alphonse Forel(1841-1912) who established the field with his studies of Lake Geneva. Interest in the discipline rapidly expanded, and in 1922 August Thienemann(a German zoologist) and Einar Naumann(a Swedish botanist) co-founded the International Society of Limnology(SIL, for originally Societas Internationalis Limnologiae). Forel's original definition of limnology, "the oceanographyof lakes", was expanded to encompass the study of all inland waters. [Wetzel, R.G. 2001. Limnology: Lake and River Ecosystems, 3rd ed. Academic Press (ISBN 0-12-744760-1)]
* American Society of Limnology and Oceanography [http://aslo.org/]
Australian Society for Limnology
European Society of Limnology and Oceanography
German Society of Limnology( [http://www.dgl-ev.de www.dgl-ev.de] )
Italian Association for Oceanology and Limnology (AIOL)( [http://www.aiol.info www.aiol.info] - "R.Bertoni")
The Japanese Society of Limnology
International Society of Limnology(SIL, formerly Societas Internationalis Limnologiae) ( [http://www.limnology.org limnology.org] )
Brazilian Society of Limnology( [http://www.sblimno.org.br] )
New Zealand freshwater Sciences society( [http://freshwater.rsnz.org/] )
Southern African Society of Aquatic Scientists( [http://www.dwaf.gov.za/iwqs/sasaqs/index.htm] )
* [http://www.springerlink.com/content/100271/ Hydrobiologia]
* [http://www.interscience.wiley.com/journal/rra River Research and Applications]
* [http://www.interscience.wiley.com/journal/aqc Aquatic Conservation]
Advances in Limnology"
Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology"
Journal of Limnology" ( [http://www.iii.to.cnr.it/pubblicaz/jour_lim.htm#- - - Journal webpage] - "R.Bertoni")
* [http://www.aslo.org/ Limnology and Oceanography]
* [http://www.cerf-jcr.org/ Journal of Coastal Research]
* [http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/fwb "Freshwater Biology"]
*Journal of Ecology and Fisheries,Executive editor:V.B.Sakhare,E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
* Important publications in limnology
G. Evelyn Hutchinson
* [http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/UW.LimnHist The History of Limnology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison] : A digital resource documenting three generations of limnological research in Wisconsin. Much of the collection comes from the archives of the UW-Madison Center for Limnology. It focuses on three important pioneers of limnology, Dr.
Edward A. Birge, Chancey Judayand Arthur D. Hasler, as well as Wisconsin research laboratories and field equipment. Presented by the University of Wisconsin Digital Collections Center.
* [http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/WI.WTBreakWaters Breaking new waters: a Century of Limnology at the University of Wisconsin] : A special publication of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters in celebration of a century of limnological research.
* [http://www.geowis.de/product_info.php?products_id=398 Review (German) on Jerry R. Miller's and Suzanne M. Orbock Miller's critical scientific study Contaminated Rivers] A Geomorphological-Geochemical Approach to Site Assessment and Remediation
Other important reference works
Gerald A. Cole, "Textbook of Limnology", 4th ed. ( Waveland Press, 1994) ISBN 0-88133-800-1
Stanley Dodson, "Introduction to Limnology" (2005), ISBN 0-07-287935-1
A.J.Horne& C.R. Goldman: "Limnology" (1994), ISBN 0-07-023673-9
* G. E. Hutchinson, "A Treatise on Limnology", 3 vols. (1957-1975) - classic but dated
H.B.N. Hynes, "The Ecology of Running Waters" (1970)
Jacob Kalff, "Limnology" ( Prentice Hall, 2001)
B. Moss, "Ecology of Fresh Waters" ( Blackwell, 1998)
Robert G. Wetzel& Gene E. Likens, "Limnological Analyses", 3rd ed. (Springer-Verlag, 2000)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
limnology — n. the scientific study of bodies of fresh water for their biological and physical and geological properties. [WordNet 1.5] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
limnology — study of lakes and fresh water, 1892, with LOGY (Cf. logy) + limno , comb. form of Gk. limne pool of standing water, tidal pool, marsh, lake, from PIE root * (s)lei slime (see SLIME (Cf. slime) (n.)). The science founded and the name probably… … Etymology dictionary
limnology — [lim näl′ə jē] n. [< Gr limnē, marsh, akin to leimōn (see LIMONITE) + LOGY] the science that deals with the physical, chemical, and biological properties and features of fresh waters, esp. lakes and ponds limnological [lim΄nə läj′i kəl] adj.… … English World dictionary
limnology — limnological /lim nl oj i keuhl/, limnologic, adj. limnologically, adv. limnologist, n. /lim nol euh jee/, n. the scientific study of bodies of fresh water, as lakes and ponds, with reference to their physical, geographical, biological, and other … Universalium
limnology — ežerotyra statusas T sritis ekologija ir aplinkotyra apibrėžtis Mokslas, tiriantis ežerus, tvenkinius ir juose vykstančius fizikinius, cheminius ir biologinius procesus. atitikmenys: angl. lake science; limnology vok. Limnologie, f rus.… … Ekologijos terminų aiškinamasis žodynas
limnology — noun Etymology: Greek limnē + International Scientific Vocabulary logy Date: circa 1888 the scientific study of bodies of freshwater (as lakes) • limnological also limnologic adjective • limnologist noun … New Collegiate Dictionary
limnology — the study of lakes, ponds and standing waters and their biotas … Dictionary of ichthyology
limnology — n. [Gr. limne, pond; logos, discourse] The study of fresh waters, in physical, chemical, meteorological and biological conditions … Dictionary of invertebrate zoology
limnology — noun The science concerning the biological, physical and geological properties of fresh water bodies, especially lakes and ponds … Wiktionary
limnology — Study of the physical, chemical, meteorologic, and biologic conditions in fresh water; a branch of ecology. [G. limne, pool, + logos, study] … Medical dictionary