- First Night
:"For "the law of the first night," see
Droit de seigneur"
First Night is an outdoor artistic and cultural celebration on
New Year's Eve, taking place from afternoon until midnight. Since it happens on New Year's Eve, First Night celebrations are actually held on the last night of the old year. The real first night occurs on New Year's Day. First Night celebrates a community's local culture, often featuring music, dance, comedy, art, and always has plenty of food, fireworks, and ice sculptures.
Most entertainment is freely available outside, but admission to indoor events requires the simple purchase of a First Night button, whose profits support the celebration as a whole. First Night Celebrations are generally alcohol free.
First Night began in
Bostonin 1976by a small group of artists, and its popularity quickly made it a recurring event. Soon other surrounding communities started their own First Night celebrations. In 1993, First Night International became a non-profit organization dedicated to helping other cities set up their own celebrations. It has since spread to cities all over the United States, Canada, Great Britain, and New Zealand.
September 11, 2001Fact|date=August 2007, First Night Celebrations around the country started to decline, with several going bankrupt. Even First Night Boston had difficulties in reaching its financial goals. Alternatively, other celebrations have sprung up. For example, in 2003, First Night Providence announced they would not be able to continue their celebration which had been continuing for 19 years. A group of local artists banded together to create Bright Night Providence, an artist-run New Year's Eve celebration based on the idea and spirit of First Night.
* [http://www.firstnight.com/welcome.php Welcome to First Night International]
* [http://www.firstnightakron.org/ First Night Akron]
* [http://firstnightalexandria.org First Night Alexandria, VA]
* [http://www.firstnight.org First Night Boston] (the original First Night celebration)
* [http://www.firstnightworcester.org First Night Worcester] (the second oldest First Night celebration)
* [http://www.firstnightaustin.org First Night Austin]
* [http://www.firstnightcharlotte.com First Night Charlotte]
* [http://www.firstnightcolumbus.com First Night Columbus]
* [http://www.firstnighthaddonfield.org First Night Haddonfield, NJ]
* [http://www.firstnightmartinez.org First Night Martinez, CA]
* [http://firstnightpgh.com First Night Pittsburgh]
* [http://www.scrantontomorrow.org/firstnight/firstnight2007.asp First Night Scranton]
* [http://www.firstnightspokane.org First Night Spokane]
* [http://www.brightnight.org Bright Night Providence]
* [http://www.virginia.org/site/features.asp?FeatureID=205 First Nights throughout Virginia]
* [http://www.firstnightww.com First Night Westport-Weston, Connecticut]
* [http://southerntiercelebrates.org/first_night_binghamton/index.asp First Night Binghamton, NY]
* [http://www.ymcasaratoga.org/firstnight/index.html First Night Saratoga Springs, NY]
* [http://firstnightsiouxfalls.org First Night Sioux Falls]
* [http://www.firstnighttacoma.org First Night Tacoma]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
first-night — first night·er; … English syllables
First Night — est une partie de la série de comic book Angel: After the Fall, publiée depuis 2007 par IDW Publishing. Écrite par Brian Lynch et Joss Whedon, la série est la suite canonique de la série Angel,[3 … Wikipédia en Français
first night — noun count 1. ) the night when a play or show is publicly performed for the first time: OPENING NIGHT 2. ) AMERICAN a public celebration of NEW YEAR S EVE … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
first night — first′ night′ n. 1) sbz the night on which a theatrical or other production is first performed in a place, esp. the night of the official opening 2) sbz the performance itself • Etymology: 1705–15 … From formal English to slang
first night — first nights N COUNT: oft N n The first night of a show, play, or performance is the first public performance of it … English dictionary
first night — n. the opening night of a play, opera, etc. * * * … Universalium
first night — n. the opening night of a play, opera, etc … English World dictionary
first night — n the evening when the first public performance of a show, play etc is given … Dictionary of contemporary English
first night — ► NOUN ▪ the first public performance of a play or show … English terms dictionary
first-night|er — «FURST NY tuhr», noun. a person who makes a practice of attending the theater on the nights of the first public performance of plays … Useful english dictionary