poisoning resulting from eating eggs or gonads of ichthyootoxic fishes. Symptoms which develop soon after ingestion of the roe include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea, headache, thirst, sensation of chest constriction, low blood pressure, chills, paralysis, coma and death. Recovery is usually made in 3-5 days. There is no known antidote. The stomach should be promptly evacuated and symptomatic treatment be given. Some ichthyootoxins are destroyed by heat, others are not

Dictionary of ichthyology. 2009.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • ichthyootoxism — ich·thy·oo·tox·ism (ik″the o″o tokґsiz əm) intoxication caused by the ingestion of toxic fish roe, characterized by gastrointestinal and neurological disturbances …   Medical dictionary

  • poisonous fishes — any fish containing a poison (exclusive of bacterial poisons). Sometimes restricted to those fishes whose poisons enter the victim s body orally, excluding venomous fish whose poison is introduced from glands by means of spines. For treatment of… …   Dictionary of ichthyology

  • ichthyootoxin — Toxic substance restricted to the roe of fishes. [ichthyo + G. oon, egg, + toxikon, poison] * * * ich·thy·oo·tox·in (ik″the oґo tok″sin) [ichthyo + oo + toxin] a toxic substance derived from the roe of certain fish; see also… …   Medical dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.