- Ukrainian wedding traditions
Ukrainian wedding is the
marriagecustom in Ukrainian culture both in Ukraineand her diaspora. The traditional weddings included folk song, dance, music, and visual art, with rituals dating back to pre-Christiantimes. Over time, the ancientcustoms became less significant, and the Churchtook their place.
Rushnyk- The rushnyk are embroidered towels. They are used as decorations during traditional weddings, and often have pairs of birds embroidered on them, used to represent the couple. [Dr. Natalie Kononenko. "Ukrainian Village Project" [http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~nkm/rushnyk/rushnyk4.htm Rushnyky - Ritual Uses] ]
svashky- Woman's choir
Korovai- the Korovai is the traditional symbolic wedding bread. Traditionally it was a large round braided bread, baked from wheat flourand decorated with symbolic flags and figurines, such as suns, moons, birds, animals, and pine cones. [Betsy Oppenneer. "Celebration Breads: Recipes, Tales, and Traditions ". Simon and Schuster, 2003. ISBN 0743224833] It was given to the bride and groom as a blessing. [ [http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pagesKOKorovaiIT.htm Korovai] at the [http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/default.asp Encyclopedia of Ukraine] ]
Bread and Salt
* Wedding Songs
** Folk Dress
* Medieval Rus'
** Central Ukraine
** Ukrainians in Canada
** Ukrainians in Romania
* Soviet Influence
* Present Day
Weddings in Literature
Natalka Poltavka" ( _uk. Наталка Полтавка, "Natalka from Poltava") is a Ukrainian play written by Ivan Kotlyarevsky.
*"Ukrainian Wedding" ( _uk. Українcькe Beciлля, translit. "Ukrayins’ke vesillya", _ru. , translit. "Ukrainskaya svad'ba") was first performed in
1851, with Semen Hulak-Artemovsky in the role of the father-in-law.
* [http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pagesWEWedding.htm "Wedding"] at the
Encyclopedia of Ukraine
* [http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pagesWEWeddingsongs.htm "Wedding songs"] at the
Encyclopedia of Ukraine
* Dr. Natalie Kononenko. [http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/SEEFA/UKRWEDDING.HTM "Ukrainian Village Weddings; Collected in Central Ukraine, 1998"] SEEFA Journal, vol.4, no.1 Spring 1999 pp.65-72
* [http://www.museums.ualberta.ca/exhibits/ukrnwedding/r_trad.html "Wedding Traditions in Ukraine"]
University of AlbertaMuseums
* Orysia Paszczak Tracz. [http://www.ukrweekly.com/Archive/2002/430219.shtml "Vesillia: Ukrainian weddings in Manitoba over the last century Part I"] .
The Ukrainian Weekly, October 27, 2002.
* Orysia Paszczak Tracz. [http://www.ukrweekly.com/Archive/2002/440224.shtml "Vesillia: Ukrainian weddings in Manitoba over the last century Part II"] .
The Ukrainian Weekly, November 3, 2002.
* [http://books.google.com/books?id=D8b4dEcUENsC&pg=PA176&lpg=PA176&dq=ukrainian+weddings&source=web&ots=dJVIFYUqiB&sig=p91ZRBN53x8_JYYWjWLgiYeDUhM Nancy Millar. "Once Upon a Wedding: Stories of Weddings in Western Canada, 1860-1945". Bayeux Arts, 2000. ISBN 1896209335]
* Dzvinka Kachur. [http://www.wumag.kiev.ua/index2.php?param=pgs20033/64 "Traditional Hutsul wedding in Western Ukraine"] . Welcome to Ukraine magazine.
* [http://www.wumag.kiev.ua/index2.php?param=pgs20044/36 "Welcome to a wedding, Central Ukrainian style!"] Welcome to Ukraine magazine.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ukrainian culture — Part of a series on Ukrainians … Wikipedia
Ukrainian folklore — ] DistinctivenessUkrainian folk customs have numerous layers defined by the period in which that aspect developed and the area in which it was exploited. The lowest and oldest level is the pan slavic layer of folk culture which has many elements… … Wikipedia
Ukrainian dance — ( uk. Український тaнeць, translit. Ukrayins kyy tanets ) refers to the traditional folk dances of the peoples of Ukraine. Today, Ukrainian dance is primarily represented by what ethnographers, folklorists and dance historians refer to as… … Wikipedia
Ukrainian wreath — The Ukrainian wreath ( uk. вінок, vinok ) is a headdress made from leaves, flowers, and branches worn by girls and young unmarried women. The wreath may be part of a tradition dating back to the old East Slavic customs that predate the… … Wikipedia
Participants in wedding ceremonies — also known as the wedding party, include the bride and groom (or bridegroom ), the maid of honor , bridesmaids , the best man , groomsmen , flower girls and page boys (including the ringbearer ). BrideA bride is a female participant in a wedding … Wikipedia
List of European folk music traditions — This is a list of folk music traditions, with styles, dances, instruments and other related topics. The term folk music can not be easily defined in a precise manner; it is used with widely varying definitions depending on the author, intended… … Wikipedia
Portal:Ukraine — Wikipedia portals: Culture Geography Health History Mathematics Natural sciences People Philosophy Religion Society Technology … Wikipedia
Horilka — Peppered Horilka, called Medova z Pertsem (Peppered Mead), Brand Nemiroff. Horilka (Ukrainian: горілка) is a Ukrainian alcoholic beverage. The word horilka may also be used in a generic sense in the Ukrainian language to mean whisky, or other… … Wikipedia
Handfasting — An example of a handfasting knot where each wedding guest has tied a ribbon around the clasped hands of the couple. Handfasting is a traditional European ceremony of (temporary or permanent) betrothal or wedding. It usually involved the tying or… … Wikipedia
Money dance — This article is about a cultural practice. For the accounting software, see Moneydance. The money dance, dollar dance, or apron dance is an event at some wedding receptions in various cultures. During a money dance, male guests pay to dance… … Wikipedia