- John La Montaine
John La Montaine (b. Oak Park,
Illinois, United States, 17 March 1920) is an American composerwho won the 1959 Pulitzer Prize for Musicfor his Piano Concerto no. 1, Op. 9, "In Time of War" (1958), which was premiered by Jorge Bolet.
His teachers included
Howard Hanson, Bernard Rogers, and Nadia Boulanger. His works have been performed by Jessye Normanand Jorge Bolet.
La Montaine lives in Hollywood, Los Angeles,
California. His publisher, Fredonia Press, is named for the street on which he lives. His business partner was the composer and pianist Paul J. Sifler(1911-2001).
* [http://www.fredoniapress-johnlamontaine.com/ Fredonia Press]
* [http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=2185 John La Montaine in conversation with Frank J. Oteri]
* [http://www.oprf.com/oprfhist/lamontaine.htm John La Montaine biography]
* [http://www.pulitzer.org/cgi-bin/year.pl?938,22 Pulitzer Prize winners from 1959]
* [http://www.bruceduffie.com/LaMontaine4.html John La Montaine interview] by Bruce Duffie (June 1989)
* [http://www.newmusicbox.org/article.nmbx?id=2185 "Rediscovering John La Montaine"] by
Frank J. Oteri, NewMusicBox(published September 1, 2003)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.