- Bury St. Edmunds Abbey
right|thumb|300px|The Abbey ruins, Bury St EdmundsBury St. Edmunds Abbey was once among the richest
Benedictinemonasteries in England. Its ruins lie in Bury St. Edmunds, a town in the county of Suffolk, England.
When, in the early tenth century, the relics of the martyred king, St. Edmund, were translated from Hoxne to Beodricsworth, afterwards known as Bury St. Edmunds, ["A History of the County of Suffolk"] the site had already been in religious use for nearly three centuries. To the small household of Benedictine monks who guarded the shrine the surrounding lands were granted in 1020, during the reign of
Canute, monks were introduced from St. Benet's Abbeyunder the auspices of the Bishop of Elmham and Dunwich. Two of them became Bury's first two abbots, Ufi, prior of Holme, (d. 1044), who was consecrated abbot by the Bishop of London, and Leofstan (1044-65). After Leofstan's death, the king appointed his physician Baldwin to the abbacy (1065-97). Baldwin rebuilt the church, and reinterred St Edmund's body there with great ceremony in 1095. The cult made the richly endowed abbey [With the manors granted by Edward the Confessor, the abbey was in posdsesion of fully a third of Suffolk ("A History of the County of Suffolk").] a popular destination for pilgrimages.
The Abbey of St Edmund at Bury St Edmunds was built in the eleventh and twelfth centuries of a cruciform plan, with its head (or apse) pointed east. The shrine of St Edmund stood behind the high altar. The abbey was much enlarged and rebuilt during the twelfth century. At some 505 feet long, and spanning 246 ft across its westerly transept, Bury St Edmunds abbey church was one of the largest in the country. St James's Church, now
St Edmundsbury Cathedral, was finished around 1135. St Mary's Church was first built around 1125, and then rebuilt in the Perpendicular style between 1425-35. Abbey Gate, opening onto the Great Courtyard, was the secular entrance which was used by the Abbey's servants. In 1327, it was destroyed during the Great Riot by the local people, who were angry at the power of the monastery, and it had to be rebuilt. Norman Gate dates from 1120-48 and was designed to be the gateway for the Abbey Church and it is still the belfry for the Church of St James, the present cathedral of Bury St Edmunds. This four-storey gate-hall is virtually unchanged and is entered through a single archway. Great Gate is an impressive 14th centurystone gatehouse, designed to be the gateway for the Great Courtyard. One of the best surviving examples of its type, this two storey gate-hall is entered through a single archway which retains its portcullis. The Crankles was the name of the fishpond near the river Lark. The vineyard was first laid out in the 1200s. There were three breweries in the Abbey as each monk was entitled to eight pints a day.
The Abbey's charters granted extensive lands and rights in Suffolk. The Abbey held the gates of Bury St Edmunds; they held wardships of all orphans, whose income went to the Abbot until the orphan reached maturity; they pressed their rights of
corvée. During the 13th century general prosperity blunted the resistance of burghers and peasants; in the 14th century, however, the monks encountered hostility from the local populace. Throughout the summer of 1327, the monastery suffered extensively, as several monks lost their lives in riots, and many buildings were destroyed. The hated charters and debtors' accounts were seized and triumphantly torn to shreds. Already faced with considerable financial strain, the abbey went further into decline during the first half of the 15th century. In 1431the west tower of the abbey church collapsed. Two years later Henry VI moved into residence at the abbey for Christmas, and was still enjoying monastic hospitality four months later. More trouble arose in 1446when the Duke of Gloucester died in suspicious circumstances after his arrest, and in 1465the entire church was burnt out by an accidental fire. Largely rebuilt by 1506, the abbey of Bury St Edmunds settled into a quieter existence until dissolution in 1539. Subsequently stripped of all valuable building materials and artefacts, the abbey ruins were left as a convenient quarry for local builders.
The ruins are owned by
English Heritageand managed by St Edmundsbury Borough Council.
Edmund the Martyr
Abbot of Bury St. Edmunds
* Bury St. Edmunds Cross
* [http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/buryabbey.html suffolkchurches.co.uk page]
* [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=37880 'Houses of Benedictine monks: Abbey of Bury St Edmunds', "A History of the County of Suffolk": Volume 2 (1975), pp. 56-72]
* [http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.12560 English Heritage page]
* [http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03085a.htm Catholic Encyclopedia article]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bury St Edmunds — Infobox UK place country = England latitude = 52.2474 longitude = 0.7183 official name = Bury St Edmunds population = 35,015 [United Kingdom Census 2001] shire district = St Edmundsbury region = East of England shire county = Suffolk constituency … Wikipedia
Bury St. Edmunds witch trials — The Bury St Edmunds witch trials were a series of trials conducted in the town of Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, England intermittently between the years 1599 and 1694. Two specific trials in 1645 and 1662 became historically well known. The 1645… … Wikipedia
Bury Saint Edmunds — ▪ England, United Kingdom town, St. Edmundsbury borough, administrative and historic county of Suffolk, England, northwest of Ipswich on the River Lark. At Beodricesworth, as the town was first called, Sigebert, king of the East… … Universalium
BURY ST. EDMUNDS — or ST. EDMUNDSBURY (16), a market town in Suffolk, 26 m. NW. of Ipswich, named from Edmund, king of East Anglia, martyred by the Danes in 870, in whose honour it was built; famous for its abbey, of the interior life of which in the 12th… … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Abbot of Bury St. Edmunds — was the title used by the head of the Benedictine monastery Bury St. Edmunds Abbey in the county of Suffolk, England. The following table lists the abbots from the foundation of the abbey in 1020 until 1216.Knowles, David; Brooke C. N. L.; and… … Wikipedia
Procès des sorcières de Bury St. Edmunds — Page couverture du rapport sur le procès tenu en 1662, même si la page couverture indique de façon erronée mars 1664 « March, 1664 ». Les procès des sorcières de Bury St. Edmunds furent conduits de façon intermittente entre 1599 et 1694 … Wikipédia en Français
Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds (The) (Bury St Edmunds) — Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds (The) country: United Kingdom, city: Bury St Edmunds (Town Centre) Angel Hotel Bury St Edmunds (The) The Angel Hill Bury is situated in the city of St Edmunds and is surrounded by the most elegant Georgian Houses. Once … International hotels
Ramada Hotel Bury St Edmunds (Bury St Edmunds) — Ramada Hotel Bury St Edmunds country: United Kingdom, city: Bury St Edmunds (Outskirts) Ramada Hotel Bury St Edmunds Ramada Hotel Bury St Edmunds has a very convenient location, being close to area attractions and restaurants. Guests can easily… … International hotels
Abbey National — For the rebranded company, see Santander UK. Abbey National plc Former type Subsidiary Industry Financial Services Fate Renamed under parent brand … Wikipedia
Edmunds — This interesting surname, with variant spellings Edmonds and Edmons, is a patronymic form of the Medieval English male given name Edmund, itself coming from the Old English pre 7th Century Eadmund, composed of the Anglo Saxon elements ead ,… … Surnames reference