- Pass Labs
Pass Labs is a
high end audiocompany based in Foresthill, California, USAfounded by Nelson Pass, a well known figure in the high end audio community. Pass is known for unique and innovative, as well as practical, circuit designs.
Pass founded, and worked at, audio company "Threshold", where he developed the "Stasis" series of amplifiers. These designs were later licensed to
The Pass labs Aleph series of amplifiers were highly regarded at the time they were introduced. These amplifiers operated pure "Class A" and contained very simple internal circuitry using MOSFETs. The Aleph amplifiers had a unique appearance, a cube with
heat sinks on all four sides, a very practical solution to the high amounts of heat generated by the Class A design.
After the Aleph series of amplifiers was discontinued, a separate entity "Volksamp" was licensed to continue to produce a similar product. Aleph 30 and 60 Amplifiers were made by Volksamp until production ceased in 2003.
Currently, manufacture of the Aleph series of amplifiers is to be continued by [http://www.firstwatt.com/ First Watt] , a self described "kitchen table" amplifier company founded by Nelson Pass in 2004. First Watt initially produced power trans-conductance amplifiers (or technically a power current source). Reference: [http://www.firstwatt.com/products/f1.htm F1] , [http://www.firstwatt.com/products/f2.htm F2] These current domain amplifiers are only suitable for use with certain unique types of speakers. With respect to the Aleph amplifier line, First Watt has announced plans for the [http://www.firstwatt.com/products/alephj.htm Aleph J] , a revision of the famous Pass Labs Aleph 3/ Volksamp Aleph 30 wherein a new
JFETinput stage is to be added.
Today Pass Labs makes amplifiers, preamplifier and speakers. Pass Labs is also a supporter of the
DIY audiocommunity and maintains a separate internet presence for this purpose (see external links).
Current Pass Labs "X" series amplifiers use a distortion canceling
balanced audiosignal circuit, and continue to receive critical acclaim. See U.S. Patentnumber 5,376,899.
* [http://www.passlabs.com Pass Labs Web Site]
* [http://www.threshold-audio.com/about.html Threshold Web Site]
* [http://www.firstwatt.com First Watt Web Site]
* [http://www.passdiy.com PassDIY] Pass DIY web site.
* [http://stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/674/ 1997 Aleph 3 Review] 1997 Review of Pass Aleph 3 in Stereophile Magazine
* [http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0701/volksamp.htm 2001 Aleph 30 Review] Review of Volksamp Aleph 30.
* [http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/1103pass/index.html 2003 XA160 Review] 2003 Review of Pass XA160 amplifier in Stereophile Magazine.
* [http://www.ultraaudio.com/equipment/passlabs_xa160.htm 2005 XA160 Review] 2005 Review of Pass Labs XA160 amplifier from Ultraaudio online magazine.
* [http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1204/firstwattf1.htm 2004 First Watt F1 Review from Enjoythemusic.com Online Magazine]
* [http://stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/105listening/ 2005 First Watt F1 "Review" From Stereophile Magazine]
* [http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/firstwatt.htm 2005 Review of First Watt F1 from Positive-feedback online magazine]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pass — Contents 1 Admission and permission 2 Acronyms 3 Transport 4 … Wikipedia
Nelson Pass — (born June 27, 1951) is a noted and widely respected designer of audio amplifiers. Unlike some audio engineers, Pass remains vocal that listening tests remain valuable and that electrical measurements alone do not fully… … Wikipedia
Cornelius Pass Road — North end: US 30 near Portland Major junctions: US 26 in Hillsboro … Wikipedia
Классификация электронных усилителей — Основная статья: Электронный усилитель Классы электронных усилителей и режимы работы активных усилительных приборов (ламп или транзисторов) традиционно обозначаются буквами латинского алфавита. Буквенные обозначения классов усиления могут… … Википедия
Nakamichi — Corporation Limited Type Subsidiary of Grande Holdings Ltd Industry Electronics Founded Tokyo, Japan (1948) … Wikipedia
Otto Julius Zobel — Born October 20, 1887(1887 10 20) Ripon, Wisconsin Died January 1970 (age 82) Morristown, New Jersey … Wikipedia
computer — computerlike, adj. /keuhm pyooh teuhr/, n. 1. Also called processor. an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations. Cf. analog… … Universalium
Superboy (Kon-El) — Superboy Superboy flies into action. Art by Mike McKone. Publication information Publisher DC Comics First … Wikipedia
Penta Water — (sometimes called AquaRx Water ) is a commercially sold brand of bottled water that is claimed by its manufacturer to be structurally different from normal water. It is advertised as the ultimate bottled water on Penta s official website. [ [http … Wikipedia
Sound Blaster — The Sound Blaster logo The Sound Blaster family of sound cards was the de facto standard for consumer audio on the IBM PC compatible system platform, until the widespread transition to Microsoft Windows 95, which standardized the programming… … Wikipedia